LegacyGT.com

Legacy died while driving, now wont start

I'm sure the general consensus is the engine is toast. Failed turbo replacement by previous order may not have been done properly and destroyed the #2 cylinder. I never did manage to get a compression test in. I did replace the damaged spark plug and car does start, but it's clearly struggling and barely has enough power to even move itself without wanting to die. Actually, its running about the same right now as it was with the damaged spark plug still installed. 

Not quite sure what to do with the car at the moment. Don't have the funds to put into it sadly nor the space to store it. Given its engine condition probably be lucky to get anything out of it. Body is still clean! lol. 

Unfortunately I learned a valuable and expensive lesson with this. Should have done more research and can clearly see why seller was so eager to take my offer on the car. Oh well. But did want to thank the various guys in this thread - I expected a lot of jokes, fun poking and maybe even a little bit of trash talking over the car situation - but every single person who did comment had advice or questions to keep me moving in the right direction. Not sure if I will end up in another subie or not nor was this one ever really running at 100%. But shit was fun when it actually was running as best it could.  

• Sad 1

I think the previous owner hurt the shortblock with the 1st turbo and didn't realize, and then thought changing the turbo alone would be enough, but realized after changing it that the damage was a lot more and punted the car! Rule number 1 for buying a used legacy gt is get a compression/leakdown test prior to purchasing. 

Yea, you need room to work on these cars, cherry pickers, tool carts and engine stands etc. 

In my younger days I lived in west bumblef**k, the middle of nowhere, and I rented a big outdoor storage unit that could fit a car and had enough room to work on it. There were some outlets around and I basically turned it into my own little garage. I don't know where you are but depending on cost of land etc. You might be able to get a nice one for like 200 bucks, maybe less. I think I had something like a 10' x 15' maybe bigger. Cost me like 75-100 bucks a month back in the mid to late.... what the hell do you call 2005-2010, i'm like the 90's 80's what do u use for 2k? 

Anyway that might be an option, lots of dessert and land in Nevada so I would hope space is cheap. You could also check the ads for people renting garages and space. You might get lucky where its affordable over a long period of time. The motor is worth more than the car, so you wont get much. 

How much did you pay for it if you don't me asking?

Yea, apartment living is little rough with working on cars. 

Dude was asking $2,500 - accepted my offer of $2,000. When purchased I was already aware it needed new transmission mount, tires sooner than later and passenger CV joint, so I've replaced both engine mounts, the top wishbone mount, transmission mount, passenger cv axle, spark plugs and all 4 tires. So you figure I'm probably out around $3,000 in the end.... 

Roughly, do you know approx how much engines go for whether new or rebuilt? 

A ej257 from most dealerships is about $1900 plus engine gasket set for your year car. Have your heads rebuilt, assemble heads to new SB with ARP head studs.

You'll want a new oil cooler and oil pump.

click on the click here link in my sig

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The sticky's here will be helpful too. 

https://www.legacygt.com/forum/103-engine-rebuild-threads-engines-only/

You'll want a new oil pump and oil cooler.

Sorry, I see the "Click Here" link is currently not working. Hopefully "Tide" will fix it soon.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I believe an old member named MrTris is the one who coined ynansb. He wrote a super helpful post on what to expect when faced with this decision, about his experience going through the rebuild process. I tried to find it, but I think he got mad and deleted it. Anyway, I found this quote from him, and it's how I feel. I'd take the hit, and move on to something else.

(edit: I have no idea how much money you're willing to spend and all that and if you have a family on the way like he says, but expect to spend a lot of money to do the job right. and even then... things could go bad again.)

On 4/8/2015 at 10:56 PM, MrTris said:

I see my reputation precedes me here. . .

Honestly, hitting y'all with #ynansb must have been invented before fun, because, well, it's not. And especially to those with a family on the way.

Then again, this would have happened at some point, and, its rarely "convenient" for any of us, but, even less so for those who are just starting out. $3k is likely a band-aid for your real problem; like the others have said, it's $5-7 to do it right, and, add $2k for labor that, since I doubt you'll be doing it yourself.

My advice? Hock it at a loss, it's your best option. This is not a family car. It's not for those who would rather spend their money on things other than their car. It's a selfish, self-centered, high-maintenance queen that needs "the finer things" of the automotive world, and doesn't always uphold her end of the bargain, even when she gets her way. It's good preparation for having a girl. :lol:

Sorry, dude, but it's time to let it go. It's gonna cost more time and money than you're willing to spend to make it right again, and it's not going to get any better, even if you do. Focus on your famiy and get a car that says that -- A Honda Odyssy or a Sienna. Your family comes first, and your family needs a reliable vehicle that gets good gas mileage and has room for them to grow. Unfortunately, the LGT doesn't fit any of that.

Best of luck to you.

Edited by apexi

2 hours ago, Tehnation said:

Aren't the stock downpipes and cats going for some absurd amount of money these days? Maybe sell some parts, then sell the last of it for scrap.... or just take it to a junkyard. 

You need to take the cat's to a recycler in your area, ask google to find them.  The OEM up pipe in not worth the effort. The Dp I got $900 for.

That's what I did back in Sept 2020. 

Oh wow. Alright, so atleast maybe I'll be able to get half my money back on scrapping the exhaust parts alone. Those parts I'm assuming just pull off and go right to the recycler as is, nothing special to it? 

Interior and exterior are near excellent condition too. Anyone looking for parts? :)

23 minutes ago, Jeremie said:

Oh wow. Alright, so atleast maybe I'll be able to get half my money back on scrapping the exhaust parts alone. Those parts I'm assuming just pull off and go right to the recycler as is, nothing special to it? 

Interior and exterior are near excellent condition too. Anyone looking for parts? :)

go to recyclers web site, you need the part numbers off the cat's. The # is on the side of the cat heat shield.

Yea parting out the interior bits isn't bad, I would use ebay to get the general value of items. Like the a pillar covers aren't made anymore so you can only get those used, they go for like 30+ bucks each, plus whatever for shipping. 

If you have the gt limited with the leather adjustable seats and they are in good condition, you could find some buyers, shipping is the thing, the heavier items tend to be more of a pita and costly. 

The carpet isn't made anymore either, you can get at least 200- 300 or more if its in good condition. 

Theres a forum on here for selling cars, you can do a part out, people here like to pick up the odds and ends. But make sure you have an idea of what things are retailing for so you can make deals if you do part it out. Understanding shipping costs is clutch, you may think something costs 25 bucks to ship and turns out its 50 so have a good understanding so it doesn't eat into your profits etc.

If you do it right you might be able to get your money back, your neighbors will probably flip a b*$%h for broken down car on cinder blocks lol. Then when your done, you call some scrap yard and sell it for scrap value maybe 100-200 or more maybe. They will come with a tow truck and just slide it onto flatbed..... might wanna keep the wheels so you don't damage stuff dragging it or get some cheap 10 dollar steel wheels from junkyard or something. 

You got transmission, differential, oem axles, the turbo, hell the heads are worth 300+ each. You can easily get your 3k back, but its gonna be time and effort! Plus all the interior parts, they are like 20-50 bucks a piece, the dashboard is worth some money if its in good shape, the cubby, vents. 

If the cylinder sleeves aren't too damaged and can be saved and the journals are good, the case halves are worth some money as well. 

Going this route isn't easy, but me personally I would hate to eat a 2k or so loss, I would make up for it with effort and grit lol. I don't like to lose....

The Dp just unbolts, it's a little hard the first time as the heatshield on the turbo must be removed with old rusty bolts. Below the Subaru name on the Dp, there is a number on both cat's the recycler will need.

I have two of these cars, that's why two Dp's.

DSCN8603.JPG