LegacyGT.com

08 GT -- replacement radiators have incorrect sized nipple?

My 08 LGT recently cracked the radiator. Everywhere I'd look online, it seemed the same as the WRX/STi stock radiator... got one from a friend and it all bolted up perfect, except the little nipple on the top passenger side is too small (roughly half the size of the OEM LGT radiator one).

So I got a Koyo OEM replacement... and it has the exact same issue.

I've looked around a ton online but haven't really encountered anyone talking about this. The couple posts I did find were all reviews and sounds like they either just tightened the clamp down like crazy to make it fit or used some sort of hose adaptor. Seems off though to me to restrict part of the cooling system down to about half of what it's meant to be.

The car's been down for awhile now with waiting to get the 1st radiator and then waiting for the 2nd one, so I'd really love to get it up and running again soon. I can't find any hose adaptors anywhere at auto parts stores or hardware stores that seems like it would work. I'd guess I could just tighten the clamp super extra tight and it would work, but it seems like that would just be asking for a leak.

Anyone else encounter this?

I believe we're talking about a metal nipple, correct?

You can try a couple of things that work. You can find some thin wall hose and put a piece on the nipple and then slip your hose over it and tighten as a unit.

You can wrap it very carefully and neatly with multiple layers of teflon tape and then slip your hose over and tighten it down.

You can try slipping metal over it and JB Welding it in place, and sanding it down smooth after it sets up and then putting your hose over it, but if you do this, I suggest doing a couple of coats to make sure it's sealed and won't allow any coolant past.

I believe we're talking about a metal nipple, correct?

You can try a couple of things that work. You can find some thin wall hose and put a piece on the nipple and then slip your hose over it and tighten as a unit.

You can wrap it very carefully and neatly with multiple layers of teflon tape and then slip your hose over and tighten it down.

You can try slipping metal over it and JB Welding it in place, and sanding it down smooth after it sets up and then putting your hose over it, but if you do this, I suggest doing a couple of coats to make sure it's sealed and won't allow any coolant past.

Thanks for the response!

It's a plastic nipple on the top of the radiator all the way over on the passenger side. My 05 STi track car has the same size nipple there, but it goes to a correspondingly sized nipple on the upper coolant tank. On the LGT, it's a 3/8ths hose all the way from the upper tank to the radiator.

I was thinking of doing option 1 you had suggested. My main question though is if this is something others have seen or if there's something I'm missing.

It does seem weird to replace a cooling hose with a smaller one than the system was designed for.

The design changed for the wrx and sti. The radiators still "fit" but you'll need to use the hose with part number 45162AG010.

I know you bought an LGT specific radiator but I bet the part number is the same for the 3 models lgt, wrx and sti.

My guess is that we won't really find many LGT specific parts anymore, just those that are somewhat interchangeable with the wrx/sti platform.

The design changed for the wrx and sti. The radiators still "fit" but you'll need to use the hose with part number 45162AG010.

I know you bought an LGT specific radiator but I bet the part number is the same for the 3 models lgt, wrx and sti.

My guess is that we won't really find many LGT specific parts anymore, just those that are somewhat interchangeable with the wrx/sti platform.

Thank you!

Does that hose have a different ID at each end?

You are correct about the radiator -- it's listed as the same part number for the LGT as well as 08-14 WRX and 08-21 STi.

My replacement radiator (oe style replacement csf) came with a small section of flanged rubber hose to put inside the existing hose then push it on to the nipple. A reducer of sorts.

58807fca205d394c468c61fdaca77904.jpg

Interesting. I assume you've had no issues with temps or anything running like that?

Guess maybe I'll just make a little adaptor like that with a smaller hose and look into getting the OEM hose that rhino suggested.

Interesting. I assume you've had no issues with temps or anything running like that?

Guess maybe I'll just make a little adaptor like that with a smaller hose and look into getting the OEM hose that rhino suggested.

Ugh. Did the same. Bought a CSF std rad since CSF makes good stuff but had the nipple issue…:lol:

My CSF came with a small rubber adapter (like 3/8” to 1/4”). I’m sure it would have been fine just make sure to use a screw clamp if you use that one and make sure there’s no leaks. The oem spring clamp I could pull off with a little effort so I bought a denso rad instead. If you get an adapter I’d just get a small piece of hose so it seals. Mine was down for about 6 weeks late last year. I had withdrawl bad…lol.

As an afterthought-if you want my csf it’s yours. I’ve got the adapter that came with it. Still in the box. Just pay shipping, its sitting in my garage. PM me if you want it.

Edited by SoobyDoobyDoo

Ugh. Did the same. Bought a CSF std rad since CSF makes good stuff but had the nipple issue…:lol:

My CSF came with a small rubber adapter (like 3/8” to 1/4”). I’m sure it would have been fine just make sure to use a screw clamp if you use that one and make sure there’s no leaks. The oem spring clamp I could pull off with a little effort so I bought a denso rad instead. If you get an adapter I’d just get a small piece of hose so it seals. Mine was down for about 6 weeks late last year. I had withdrawl bad…lol.

As an afterthought-if you want my csf it’s yours. I’ve got the adapter that came with it. Still in the box. Just pay shipping, its sitting in my garage. PM me if you want it.

Glad / not glad to hear that I'm not the only one that's had this occur. Mine has been down almost 4 weeks now, mostly because I've been out of town a lot for work and having to work around that. Been especially annoying as I bought the LGT in the first place to have a reliable daily as the STi has become more of a racecar than a street car over the last couple years. It's been down for 6 months now for a motor build and it's pretty annoying to have TWO broken Subarus taking up the garage.

I think I figured it out though. I'd looked at RockAuto before but I really dug around in all their offerings after you mentioned that the Denso fit properly.

Looks like the radiator that Rallysportdirect sells as LGT fitment is Koyo part number A13093. RockAuto's LGT fitment Koyo radiator is Koyo part number A13091.

Looking at the diagrams between them, A13093 has the outlet on that nipple listed as 5/16ths and A13091 has it listed as 1/2. Went out to the garage to measure the two different hoses and those are exactly the correct measurements for the STi radiator nipple and the LGT nipple.

(I'm just going into this much depth for anyone else in this spot later who finds this post)

Anyways -- I appreciate the offer of the CSF, that's very generous. I think I'll just order the correct Koyo though. Gives me warm fuzzys to have parts fit exactly as they should vs using adaptors for an unknown reason.

It's been down for 6 months now for a motor build and it's pretty annoying to have TWO broken Subarus taking up the garage.

#SubieLife! Wouldn’t be the same if they weren’t broken…isn’t the joy in ownership all in working on it? :rolleyes:

(I'm just going into this much depth for anyone else in this spot later who finds this post)

Thanks! Always nice to have info for future reference.

Anyways -- I appreciate the offer of the CSF, that's very generous. I think I'll just order the correct Koyo though. Gives me warm fuzzys to have parts fit exactly as they should vs using adaptors for an unknown reason.

No problem, I get it. What should have been a $100 job turned into a $400 job between the two rads and other misc stuff. Got all new hoses and everything else while I was in there. Using the adapter didn’t sit well with me either.