LegacyGT.com

05 GT oil pickup trube confusion

Well here it goes.

I have an 05 legacy gt.

I can not get a solid answer on what tube will fit.

There is some info indicating that 05 is different than all other years.

The killer b tube dose not list a part for 05 only 06 plus

I purchased this moroso and it says it fit but there is debate around that as well.

Moroso 24965 Oil Pump Pickup for Subaru EJ 20/EJ 25 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005PX0SAO/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_D6QB59KK1H127PPRTV3C

I really don't want to pull my pan and find out I have the wrong part.

Any help is appreciated, and a write up on pulling the pan would not hurt.

My car is on ramps and I have concerns about pulling the subframe in this state.

Thanks Joe

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

The part numbers are different:

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2005_Legacy-25L-TURBO-5MT-4WD-GT-Limited-Sedan/Engine-Oil-Pump-Pickup-Tube/49227505/15049AA070.html

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2006_Legacy-25L-TURBO-5MT-4WD-GT-Limited-Sedan/Engine-Oil-Pump-Pickup-Tube/49227507/15049AA110.html

KillerB has a decent post about it: https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/oil-pickup-tube-failures-important-78603p34.html?

It's interesting though, the IAG pickup lists '05 as compatible...

https://www.iagperformance.com/iag-performance-v2-oil-pickup-for-2002-14-subaru-wrx-04-20-sti-05-09-lgt-04-13-fxt/

With a footnote... "*2002-2005 EJ20 WRX requires 2.5L oil pan for fitment. 2004-05 FXT & 05 LGT Check Pan For Fitment Before Ordering. "

Not sure how you are supposed to do that?

Edited by Infosecdad

Not to confuse the issue, but, what is the build date on your 05 ?

Seems the late one's and early 06's with cracking oil pick up tubes.

My early 05 is still using the one it came with. 302,000 miles.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Not to confuse the issue, but, what is the build date on your 05 ?

Seems the late one's and early 06's with cracking oil pick up tubes.

My early 05 is still using the one it came with. 302,000 miles.

How would I check that ? And yes so much confusion.

Moroso says it fits, some people say it fit fine on an 05 , some say it fits but it's hitting bottom of pan and that's no good.

Real nightmare, I mean I'm at 177k and still running, I would love to leave the stock one in lol.

But I already have the exhaust manifold off and don't want it to blow up on the Dyno lol

How about a new-er oil pan? I replaced mine while the engine was out and the Killer B pickup was going in. This was in the 2009.

I wonder if a newer style pan would alleviate the issue?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Edited by whitexc

How about a new-er oil pan? I replaced mine while the engine was out and the Killer B pickup was going in. This was in the 2009.

I wonder if a newer style pan would alleviate the issue?

Ya it would but I don't have or the desire to buy one but that might be required.

I guess I'm just going to pull the pan , then I can inspect the old pick up and answer the question

I do believe it's early though as it is not a limited a trim and has cloth , non power seats only found on the 05 and early jdm

There should be a build date on the sticker on the edge of the driver's door.

If you pull the old pickup, inspect the braze joint, that is where the crack appeared. There is a post about here from years ago.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I did mine preemptively when I put the forged motor in the track car (‘05)with a Moroso, didn’t know there might be fitment issues / multiple part numbers and it fit fine.

I did mine preemptively when I put the forged motor in the track car (‘05)with a Moroso, didn’t know there might be fitment issues / multiple part numbers and it fit fine.
There yah go. How many miles/smiles on that since install?

I did change my pickup tube with a Moroso on the 06 as it was cracked! Got the oil warning light flicker show at startup and fortunately caught it before catastrophic failure..

I do not recall touching the subframe.

Edited by xt2005bonbon

Very nice thank you guys

How did you go about pulling the pan ?

I have exhaust manifold off already.

Do I need to pull the subframe, and is it ok to do so wile the car is on ramps ?

You may need to jack up the motor, but not remove the subframe.

There yah go. How many miles/smiles on that since install?

Looks like it was swapped in Feb of 2015, the car got pulled out of daily duty shortly thereafter when I bought a used A4 Avant, (which bled me dry...). Its had 10K trouble free miles, (pretty much to/from track and on track) since then and was swapped out last Feb when I pulled the OEM pan for a complete IAG competition pan/baffle/pick up kit. Just wanted to make sure everything would work together. No advice on install for pans as Surgeline did it in PDX when the Killer B was swapped in at the same time.

As a side note, the IAG pan does fit with the Primitive Skid Plate (ordered with the extended drop for header clearance), but barely :)

IMG_7514.thumb.jpg.39ef1d1aaa434c3a5f61ec8a60c914e5.jpg

Edited by shralp

Looks like it was swapped in Feb of 2015, the car got pulled out of daily duty shortly thereafter when I bought a used A4 Avant, (which bled me dry...). Its had 10K trouble free miles, (pretty much to/from track and on track) since then and was swapped out last Feb when I pulled the OEM pan for a complete IAG competition pan/baffle/pick up kit. Just wanted to make sure everything would work together. No advice on install for pans as Surgeline did it in PDX when the Killer B was swapped in at the same time.

As a side note, the IAG pan does fit with the Primitive Skid Plate (ordered with the extended drop for header clearance), but barely :)

Man you got some nice stuff on your set up, really looking forward to seeing it.

I'm starting to wish I just paid to have the work done , but with all the things I'm finding that need correcting, would have been a large bill.

At this point ,I'm just shooting for late spring to have my build done

Man you got some nice stuff on your set up, really looking forward to seeing it.

I'm starting to wish I just paid to have the work done , but with all the things I'm finding that need correcting, would have been a large bill.

At this point ,I'm just shooting for late spring to have my build done

Thanks much, it’s been a labor of love (and cash) over the last 16 years. Definitely a process for sure and it really has happened in slow motion over that time with a few steps on the gas when major components had to be replaced. Would definitely have a heavier wallet, (…or maybe a faster car due to more parts!) if I’d done all the wrenching myself but I know where my line of comfort is and I’m pretty aware of what I can do with 100% confidence, anything that’s more than about 5% below that, I’m taking it to a tuner I trust :)