LegacyGT.com

Remote Start with Key Fob

Wondering if anyone can shed some light on this. i have the ability to remote start via starlink. it's super slow imo. Wondering what exactly is required to get remote start via existing key fob. Does anyone have that?

in the manual and online there is a procedure to use the current key fob to remote start. doesn't work.

remotestart.JPG.c3a7aa012612d6747185042bddf9b61a.JPG

Then there is this part which is a whole new key fob dedicated only for remote start.

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2020_Legacy-24L-CVT-4WD-Limited/Remote-Engine-Starter---Push-Start/97174878/H001SAN001.html

Two things:

1. I don't want a second huge ass key fob

2. Since the car can already be remote started by starlink, why would additional hardware have to be installed by a dealer to do the exact same thing starlink does? Doesn't matter starlink operates on ATT and key fob is RF. Both go to a computer and the computer triggers an action.

I don't want an uneducated dealer to try and sell me some aftermarket junk that isn't really required when there is some software bit that simply needs to be switched.

You need the part which you referenced which includes a remote start control module. In my 2020 manual the info you found is in the "Remote Engine Start System (Dealer Option)" section. Since it is an option here are the installation instructions: https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/doc/accInstallGuide/H001SAN000%202020%20Leg_Obk%20Push%20Start%20RES%20IxI.pdf Apparently with the remote start kit you can use you current fob to start but it only works at short distances. You need the dedicated remote start fob for up to 400 feet.

I think the Subaru team working on the head unit wasn't talking with the accessories team. Maybe this will be fixed with the next refresh.

Edited by Stuff

I have been thinking about the same thing, it takes so long to start the car through the app, I could easily do it faster with the key fob.

I believe they intentionally did this to get you to pay for Starlink. My dealer gave me 3 years for free at time of purchase but I will not renew once it expires as I see no value in it.

The key fob start works on my car (the first 2 lock button presses can't be too quick) but I also have the "dealer installed" remote start as well, so not sure if that is why it works. The remote start from the key fob only ever works if I am roughly within 20 feet of the car, unobstructed by walls, windows, etc.

The key fob start works on my car (the first 2 lock button presses can't be too quick) but I also have the "dealer installed" remote start as well, so not sure if that is why it works. The remote start from the key fob only ever works if I am roughly within 20 feet of the car, unobstructed by walls, windows, etc.

What kind of distance are you getting with the dedicated remote start fob?

@Stuff,

I have started my car from a fourth floor hotel room without issue. Granted the car was parked directly under the room with zero obstructions and no cars or trucks around it for five spaces on each side. I think the max range is 400 feet or so. I have no clue if the starlink remote app start has a distance limit or not.

At home same thing however it’s parked in a garage with another car alongside it and still no issues.

It seems I have more issues starting the car remotely with the dedicated remote starter fob then the regular Subaru fob which until a few months ago I did not know started the car remotely as well.

Thanks for the info. The app uses cellular to communicate with the car so no distance limits, just needs cell service. I've had lots of failures so was hoping the fob was better.

I use the MySubaru app to remote start, but only in the winter. Has never failed yet and normally takes less than minute, usually about 30 seconds. I don’t know what the Starlink renewal fee will be but unless it is minimal it probably won’t be worth it for me. My wife loves it for her Outback though so I think she will renew it. We have no line of sight to our cars so I don’t think the fob method would work for us in any event. But the app has always been reliable, but obviously subject to their network.

Why do i have to remote start my car you ask? to give it enough time so:

1. the navigation becomes responsive and i can disable collision avoidance (class action currently against it bc it sucks so bad)

2. for the engine to idle down so when i go from R to D the CVT doesn't make chirp so loud my neighbors hear it. btw, dealer says this is normal.