LegacyGT.com

15+ WRX 6mt into 05/09 Legacy/OB

Scottydunno

Did anyone confirm if the blast plates work on it?

Are there any modifications or parts we can change to improve cable shifting? Don't know much about that topic.

You get a lot of feedback from the mechanical/direct vs the cable from my experience. Like your hand can tell a lot of things from the feeling of the shifter, cable kind of takes that away.

There are aftermarket shifter assemblies, different bushings and shift levers. If you check out @Infosecdad thread about his 10-12 LGT trans swap, you'll see the mods he's already done. I've driven cable shifted cars for most of my life, this is by far, the better feeling ones..

As far as performance goes, from what I've read and the few I've talked to personally about this trans, it's a little more durable than our current 5mt, but still not nearly as durable as the STi box. Like I explained, it's more of a DD upgrade in a car that's not gonna have alot of residual value in case crap happens.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Edited by Scottydunno

• 2 weeks later...

* small update * Roughly a little more than week has gone by and the new shifter cable hasn't given me any grief whatsoever! I will say that doing an in car cable change isn't fun, especially the cable that does the gates. As of now it's just enjoying and driving the car. I have way more pictures that I didn't upload in the original post. More than likely I'll put it in my FB profile and just link it here.

• 1 month later...

Finally got the leaky gas tank replaced and a bunch of odds and ends. This is after the first full tank in the car. This was achieved by driving like a "normal" person.. well, at 75mph on the highway atleast. I really can't complain.. 0b859959449eec08812cb1ace1f2a0a7.jpg14b5638a209d323503aa341cb8cdece4.jpg

Finally got the leaky gas tank replaced and a bunch of odds and ends. This is after the first full tank in the car. This was achieved by driving like a "normal" person.. well, at 75mph on the highway atleast. I really can't complain.. 0b859959449eec08812cb1ace1f2a0a7.jpg14b5638a209d323503aa341cb8cdece4.jpg

New OEM tank?

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm really starting to want to do this. Way cheaper than any other swap options. Spec B transmissions are just unobtanium at this point and this seems like it has all I want. Don't think I ever plan to run crazy power either.

Any headache-y updates on cable shifters coming loose again? I will probably have Surgeline do the install for me should I ever go this route, so I'd want to make sure they'd be able to do all this without me, the clueless one, being stranded on the road with a defunct shifter due to some little niggles.

I'm really starting to want to do this. Way cheaper than any other swap options. Spec B transmissions are just unobtanium at this point and this seems like it has all I want. Don't think I ever plan to run crazy power either.

Any headache-y updates on cable shifters coming loose again? I will probably have Surgeline do the install for me should I ever go this route, so I'd want to make sure they'd be able to do all this without me, the clueless one, being stranded on the road with a defunct shifter due to some little niggles.

Nope. Since the cable replacement, zero issues! Very spirited upshifts and all! At this point I'm gonna be shopping for a short throw, just want something a little quicker.

Nope. Since the cable replacement, zero issues! Very spirited upshifts and all! At this point I'm gonna be shopping for a short throw, just want something a little quicker.

Gotcha, thanks for the update. The people on NASIOC and whatnot complaining about cable failures seem to have issues with the cable detaching when using the factory short throw shifter, possibly aftermarket ones as well. Might be something to investigate.

I had issues with a boomba knockoff short shift adapter as it would bind. That might be some of the issues. Been perfectly fine with a Perrin short shift adapter.
That's good to know! Didn't you also do the bushing and the lever on the trans???

• 3 weeks later...

Psa:

i just learned why the 2015+ wrx 6mt uses a different flywheel...the flange is 1/3" less thick than 2006-2014. Why? Because the 2015+ use a "flexplate" between the crankshaft and flywheel that doubles as a crankshaft position sensor.

When i did my swap i used a 2015+ flywheel because it was the only stock i could find. After the install my starter never engaged correctly, even after removing and reinstalling. I recently finished the break-in miles on the clutch and it slips under mid to full boost when it shouldnt. I contacted the flywheel manufacturer and asked about part differences and found the 2006-2014 flywheels have a flange that is 1/3" thicker.

Now i have to remove the flywheel and install a new one. I should be able to just slide everything back enough to remove and install.

Hmm, interesting. So the solution is a flywheel from our 5-speeds then?
That's what I used. I kept the same flywheel/clutch that was matched to my engine for the 5mt. You can even use the 5mt versus hardened clutch fork and pivot if you want.
to rhino, what a pain!
Yes. The only reason I bought the one I did is because no one had stock for anything, not even rockauto. I used the exedy tyf001 part interchange and for some reason exedy has this part as fitting both. I assumed (incorrectly) that the only change must have been material.

@rhino6303

Had I known you used a 15+ flywheel I would've suggested using a 15+ starter. I'm sure that'll fix the starting issue. The slippage, I'm willing to bet is the clutch itself not necessarily the wheel. New wheel and clutch setup shouldn't cause issues.

When I did mine, I reused EVERYTHING! That clutch had maybe 20k on it and it looked good. No hot spots on the wheel or anything. I do have to replace the clutch hose, it's starting to seep fluid now. Pressure and feel is still great though..

@rhino6303

Had I known you used a 15+ flywheel I would've suggested using a 15+ starter. I'm sure that'll fix the starting issue. The slippage, I'm willing to bet is the clutch itself not necessarily the wheel. New wheel and clutch setup shouldn't cause issues.

When I did mine, I reused EVERYTHING! That clutch had maybe 20k on it and it looked good. No hot spots on the wheel or anything. I do have to replace the clutch hose, it's starting to seep fluid now. Pressure and feel is still great though..

I actually do have a 2015 starter installed because I thought that was the issue.

Are you saying you have a 2015 flywheel installed?

I actually do have a 2015 starter installed because I thought that was the issue.

Are you saying you have a 2015 flywheel installed?

Nope. All 05 stuff. I assumed you were using an EJ starter with wheel, like I was and had the same issues I had!