LegacyGT.com

What Suspension Bushings to Replace?

I wanted to know if there was a recommended list of bushings to replace given that my LGT is 17 years old? I imagine the best answer is to ask my mechanic when the car is on the lift, but I prefer not to make multiple visits as my mechanic is far away.

I have previously done Whiteline front inner control arm and front lower control arm bushings along with Energy front and rear swaybar bushings. I also reviewed the "Complete Bushing Guide for BL/BP" which was helpful, but replacing everything is outside my budget.

Any insight on which bushings commonly fail would be appreciated.

At 17-years old with any amount of mileage on them they are all bad. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but your rear control arm upper and lower bushings are bad too, as are your steering rack bushings, your engine and trans mount, shifter bushings, sway bar end links, diff bushings (inner and outer), and your axle boots up front are probably not doing so hot either.

I have 227K on my car and replaced them over several trips to the mechanic. Definitely recommend doing as many as you can afford to do at a time that don’t require an alignment. Do the control arm/trailing arm bushings all at once since those require an alignment.

I ended up replacing all the major bushings except my diff (all 4) and rear subframe. Front control arms were replaced with jdm aluminum control arms (power flex front and rear anti lift adjustable caster), rack and pinion (whiteline kit) with the cusco rack brace, ball joints and outer tie rods (whiteline bump steer kit), Perrin steering dampner, trailing arm and camber arm bushing (whiteline kit), whiteline adjustable 24mm front sway bar with white line endlinks, whiteline adjustable 20mm rear sway bar with Cusco endlinks, Cusco rear sway bar brace, Godspeed rear links (upper and lower camber arms and toe arms). Took me a better part of 2 days to get it all in since I was missing parts for my jdm control arms.

Its better to get every thing done and out of the way instead of trying to piece it all together and spend more money having somebody else putting it all in for you 1 part at a time. Majority of the parts should be done all at once any ways if you only want to get the car aligned once.

Like you, I went on a bit of a tear replacing all front control arm with poly bushings, when I got to the back, it wasn't the expense so much of the bushings for the trailing arms etc, but the labour to get all the old bushings out. I went with the full Whiteline kit, which has the added bonus that you can adjust rear camber. Car drives way more solid now. Only thing left to do was upper arms and I replaced with stock arm inclusive of new bushings from Rock Auto. Haven't got to any subframe items as of yet as I feel the car is in pretty good working order. All 4 corners, including rear trans diff and Group N trans bush, engine mounting points done. Feels like a different car altogether. Way more planted. And not a squeak from any of the poly I keep hearing about. Then again, I've put a new stereo in the car to drown most noise out :)