LegacyGT.com

Forced into replacing some stuff, what should I get to upgrade?

2009 2.5i

Long story short, my exhaust system is essentially so rusted it wont exist in the spring. Everything behind the headers has to go. The brake calipers are also malfunctioning, for a reason yet to be determined. My shop says they basically aren't moving when the brakes are pressed and the pedal is SUPER soft.

Exhaust:

The headers are still good, but I have the opportunity to get the boxer rumble on a car that hasn't had it. Any parts better than others? Full kits, headers to tips, would be ideal; otherwise I can compile parts. Taking recs.

Brakes:

If its not just air in the lines, and I need to replace parts, I'd like to upgrade to better-than-stock 2.5i calipers, pads and rotors. Maybe the spec-b setup? Or other ideas...

It's a 2.5i so not many if any upgrades for it. Any exhaust shop can replace your stock system. They may have some mufflers that will give a little more sound.

One thing us GT guys do was to remove the mufflers or place some washers between the Y pipe flange and muffler flange.

Spec B brakes are the same as GT brakes.

Can should get rebuilt calipers from a local auto parts store and buy the best pads they have along with new rotors. I bought a Motive Power Bleeder to flush out the old brake fluid.

I also ordered the large plate for my 1986 F150, you don't need that, just the Model 0107 bleeder. You can get DOT 3 fluid from any discount store by the qt. cheaper than auto parts stores, figure about $7.00 a qt.

DSCN9626.thumb.JPG.4b34ff45777987f34630b75496f146eb.JPG

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You won't get that boxer rumble without replacing your headers for unequal length units.

I've read Infernofab makes a good UEL header for the 2.5i platform: https://infernofab.com/subaru-2-5i-uel-header-mild-steel.html

There are various members who have tried over the years to achieve this through the 2.5i platform. A quick google search will yield many threads that show different ways of going about this, and different products used throughout these attempts.

If this car isn't anything more than your daily driver, I wouldn't invest much into trying to change things up. Just grab a factory catback replacement. Replace the necessary failed braking components with stock units. A good set of pads, and a better set of tires goes a long way and is all that is needed.

If you aren't racing the car, or going for extended periods of hard spirited driving, I would be pressed to think you are not out-driving your factory brakes, thus the stockers are sufficient.

- A fellow 2.5i owner

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Aren’t NA exhaust manifolds unequal length just like the Turbo ones? Pretty sure they are. Any free flowing muffler should give you rumble. You’re just not hearing it with the restrictive OEM cans.

Aren’t NA exhaust manifolds unequal length just like the Turbo ones? Pretty sure they are. Any free flowing muffler should give you rumble. You’re just not hearing it with the restrictive OEM cans.

That's a good question. I don't know the answer.

Bueller?

They are unequal length. You'll get more of a monster truck sound than a turbo Subaru sound with less exhaust restriction on an NA.

Remove the mufflers and see if you like the sound. If you do and your neighbors won't hate you, leave it or run it straight-through with some test pipe.

Ideally, however, because the car is clearly rusting to death, you'd spend the minimal amount of money to get it where you like and leave it to die a slow death.

Edit: oops I was wrong. They are equal length…

Edited by Pleides

2005+ N/A Legacy/Outback/Impreza came with ELs. The 2005MY headers are a different layout than 2006+, however, all are still EL. Of course all turbo variants are indeed UEL.

Having been under the car to confirm on both my 06 2.5i s, and taking the mufflers off, I do not produce the same sound out of my EJ that all the other N/A guys with UEL headers on their cars produce, and so I keep my mufflers so I don't sound like a tractor.

MILKRUN  - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...

Also curious why your ready to ditch the car, if that was a serious question. Hard to read through text.

Why not just go to your local junk yard? My local Pick n pull is showing an entire exhaust/muffler combo for $33. Obviously it'll be used, and no telling the condition until you get there and pull it yourself, but it's $33! Even if, it lasted a year or two, I'd say you go your money's worth considering a factory midpipe alone goes for $250 brand new. Of course, you'll have to worry about sourcing a catalytic converter on top of your $33 OEM exhaust from the junkyard, as I'm sure they've been capitalizing on the palladium and platinum prices.

As for brake calipers, you could also probably pick those up for super cheap at the junkyard, order a rebuild kit from Subaru, rebuild them yourself or have your shop do it.

Ordering a rebuilt caliper from your local auto parts store as Max suggested above is a great option too.

Probably best to fix the two know issues and keep the car, rather than fight the used-car market right now. Of course, I say this without knowing your entire situation.

Goodluck!

MILKRUN  - Click Here