LegacyGT.com

Ringland failure so now wtf

I got my engine from my local Subaru dealership.

In the Vendor Forum there are links to dealers.

Most Dealerships sell parts at a discount now day's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

2008 Legacy 2.5i Limited N/A which is EJ253 right?

Yes I had an 08. Just get a short block and have a real Subaru shop put it in for you. N/A should not cost anywhere near the cost of a turbo car. I miss my N/A no worries and I could daily drive it all over lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The part of your car that failed is a ringland, yes? In the combustion chamber of your car, your pistons move up and down to create the "squeeze" in the four stroke "suck, squeeze, bang, blow" of internal combustion. Your piston rings have little lands in them that allow oil to pass through them to lubricate them just enough to not scratch the inside of your engine too badly where they move up and down in the cylinder. There are several of these rings to control oil and compression. The more badly worn these rings are, the worse of a seal against oil getting into your combustion chamber you have, and, consequentially, the worse compression the engine makes. Less compression equates to worse performance from your engine, and after major loss like your car, you consume incredible quantities of oil and lose a lot of performance.

In ringland failure on Subarus, this occurs from lack of oil or detonation. I'd guess that, on your naturally-aspirated car, said piston ring was cracked from oil starvation.

https://dnpp98jra4k9j.cloudfront.net/images/ej25stockpiston.jpg

The longblock and shortblock are two terms you should be familiar with on any car's engine. The shortblock are the pistons, connecting rods/rod bearings, crankshaft, and actual block casing. You can sometimes buy individual components of a shortblock from vendors. You want to replace this entire shortblock given the damage done to the cylinder where your piston ring failed.

A longblock includes the shortblock as well as the heads - the valvetrain components that make up your timing system. On your car you have a single overhead cam. Your head gaskets are commonly prone to failure. You would likely benefit from having a head rebuilding shop resurface your heads to make a proper seal and then put the new multi-layer steel gasket from Subaru on your heads. Your valvetrain components probably don't need much, but a shop can look at your camshafts and tell you if they need replacement. They may, but my Subaru suffered oil starvation and the cams were fine with over 200K on them and are in my new engine. YMMV.

Hope that helps.

The part of your car that failed is a ringland, yes? In the combustion chamber of your car, your pistons move up and down to create the "squeeze" in the four stroke "suck, squeeze, bang, blow" of internal combustion. Your piston rings have little lands in them that allow oil to pass through them to lubricate them just enough to not scratch the inside of your engine too badly where they move up and down in the cylinder. There are several of these rings to control oil and compression. The more badly worn these rings are, the worse of a seal against oil getting into your combustion chamber you have, and, consequentially, the worse compression the engine makes. Less compression equates to worse performance from your engine, and after major loss like your car, you consume incredible quantities of oil and lose a lot of performance.

In ringland failure on Subarus, this occurs from lack of oil or detonation. I'd guess that, on your naturally-aspirated car, said piston ring was cracked from oil starvation.

https://dnpp98jra4k9j.cloudfront.net/images/ej25stockpiston.jpg

The longblock and shortblock are two terms you should be familiar with on any car's engine. The shortblock are the pistons, connecting rods/rod bearings, crankshaft, and actual block casing. You can sometimes buy individual components of a shortblock from vendors. You want to replace this entire shortblock given the damage done to the cylinder where your piston ring failed.

A longblock includes the shortblock as well as the heads - the valvetrain components that make up your timing system. On your car you have a single overhead cam. Your head gaskets are commonly prone to failure. You would likely benefit from having a head rebuilding shop resurface your heads to make a proper seal and then put the new multi-layer steel gasket from Subaru on your heads. Your valvetrain components probably don't need much, but a shop can look at your camshafts and tell you if they need replacement. They may, but my Subaru suffered oil starvation and the cams were fine with over 200K on them and are in my new engine. YMMV.

Hope that helps.

Yeah seeing as this pandemic-pricing has just raped my asshole dry fist style, i’ll be moving on from subaru. thank you for your help and everyone else on here but **** subaru for continuing having shit motors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like you really liked the car, if you have access to unsecured loan , you could get block replaced at a shop and have a payment less than a common car payment and a shorter term.

You then would have a solid base to start with.

The sad reality of used cars , especially these days is no matter what you buy there is just no telling how long it will last.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Subaru's don't have shit motors. Subaru's, and every other car, have shit owners. Not saying you are, unless you bought your car new and for sure followed the manufacturer service intervals to a T, then sure, you may call that one a shit motor.

It really rubs my fur backwards when these motors get shit on because that person never changed the oil. Offuckingcourse it's going to fail.

Subaru's are by far the easiest car to work on and incredibly easy to diagnose. Farm cars for the win!

Subaru's don't have shit motors. Subaru's, and every other car, have shit owners. Not saying you are, unless you bought your car new and for sure followed the manufacturer service intervals to a T, then sure, you may call that one a shit motor.

It really rubs my fur backwards when these motors get shit on because that person never changed the oil. Offuckingcourse it's going to fail.

Subaru's are by far the easiest car to work on and incredibly easy to diagnose. Farm cars for the win!

Subaru engines are not really that reliable. We're not going down this rabbit hole, are we? It's silly to blindly defend their engines. Every F-series Subaru engine suffers from common oil consumption issues as do turbo EJs, and NA EJ's suffer head gasket failure like crazy without any neglect. Every Subaru in my family bar mine has suffered head gasket failure and my shortblock burned a quart every 500 miles by 200K.

OP may have neglected their car, maybe bought a neglected car, sure, but it's silly to turn the other cheek to the problems Subaru engines have.

Subaru engines are not really that reliable. We're not going down this rabbit hole, are we? It's silly to blindly defend their engines. Every F-series Subaru engine suffers from common oil consumption issues as do turbo EJs, and NA EJ's suffer head gasket failure like crazy without any neglect. Every Subaru in my family bar mine has suffered head gasket failure and my shortblock burned a quart every 500 miles by 200K.

OP may have neglected their car, maybe bought a neglected car, sure, but it's silly to turn the other cheek to the problems Subaru engines have.

Have you looked into the common issues with any other manufacturers?

Nothing is good anymore, like they were 15yrs ago.

Edited by Soobyhobby

Also ringland failure is very rare in a non turbo, I've actually never seen it in the hundreds of na engines I've worked on.

I didn't want to say it. Thanks! I find OPs situation incredibly bizarre.

FA/B engines sucked because they were pushed through R&D too quickly due to the political landscape at the time.

I plan to use my Legacy as an example of a properly cared for engine lasting. six thousand miles so far, heres to 100s more!