LegacyGT.com

Riddle me this Batman, what causes a car not to start when hot and has no CEL?

For NGK plugs, I use 2309 or 5245.

You can also call NGK, ask for Test Support. Tell them what you have for cams and such, they will recommend the correct plug. I did that years ago with the Honda 1.6L pushing 35psi of boost.

Ask google how to test coil packs, on the bench. I've seen some info on the web about it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I started it cold without the maf connected and same thing. Started and idled fine, died a couple times. But it looks like its temperature related, its colder out so it ran for about 10 minutes approximately.

What can get hot and stop working and not throw a cel??? I couldn't imagine all my spark plugs and coil packs just stop working at the same time all the time. Cam/Crank position would throw a code.... but if it were just giving wrong data what would happen?

I'm really stumped at this point. Even if there was a vacuum leak it wouldn't have these kinds of symptoms.

I'll take you up on that! Let me know how much to ship them. I would have replaced them but they are too expensive to just buy on a whim, i'm getting sick of buying parts that aren't fixing the problem at this point!

If they partially fail, car definitely wouldn't start I imagine.

The myth, the man, the legend, M Sprank said to look electrical! So I am on the right track, gotta check cam/crank/knock/wheel speed sensors etc.

No CEL? Something (most likely electrical) is happening when the engine heats up. I have seen things like a crank angle sensor that fails (due to wire harness or sensor itself) once the engine heats up. But it is fine until the engine is hot.

I would think about sensors close to the block. Crank angle, can angle, knock, etc. Check the harness very closely and try wiggling connectors While the engine is running (if possible). Could even be a transmission sensor, or a wheel speed sensor (see hub bearing assembly) if its an auto.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by Tehnation

Sounds like a good idea, are you going to replace them in a specific order or all at once?

Was going to do all at once, but for the sake of finding the exact issue, will do one at a time, starting with the crank , the cam sensors.

So I changed the crank sensor and the car ran for more than 10 minutes! It ran for like 15 or so and I had to cut it off because my coolant reservoir exploded with boiling hot coolant........ I ordered this relay and its taking forever, so no fan is coming on. Should it get that hot in 15-20 minutes? Or is my thermostat shot?

Freakin sensor!

Run your AP to monitor coolant temp. Last time I burped it, it did reach 203F at one point which is I think when the fans kick in. Can't remember the exact temp. But yeah, it did reach that, although I was reving the engine too.

Edited by xt2005bonbon

Yea I'm at 208 when I just RESTARTED the car:lol: WOOOOOOOT WOOOOOOOOT , winner winner chicken dinner!

Car didn't get past 190 something.

Now I gotta figure why its getting so hot....gonna change the thermostat just in case.

So I changed the crank sensor and the car ran for more than 10 minutes! It ran for like 15 or so and I had to cut it off because my coolant reservoir exploded with boiling hot coolant........ I ordered this relay and its taking forever, so no fan is coming on. Should it get that hot in 15-20 minutes? Or is my thermostat shot?

With the colder air outside now...it may take longer for the fans to come on.

Glad the crank sensor solved the issue.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here