LegacyGT.com

Car came to a sudden stop on freeway.

Hi all,

New member, first post. My car is a 2018 Legacy 2.5i Premium with EyeSight system. It has approximately 13K miles.

While driving at highway speed, my car came to a sudden stop without me stepping on the brake. As the result, another car hit my car from behind. I filed a complaint with the NHTSA:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?siType=C&nhtsaId=11432159.

Questions:

1) Have you experienced or heard about this issue?

2) What do you think might have happened?

3) Are there other Subaru forums that I could post about this problem?

Thank you.

Was someone in front of you? Is there anything in the eyesight view? cracked windshield? not sure how the cameras work.

My daughter's Impreza has eyesight and she turns it off every time she starts the car.

post your dash video

Was someone in front of you? Is there anything in the eyesight view? cracked windshield? not sure how the cameras work.

My daughter's Impreza has eyesight and she turns it off every time she starts the car.

post your dash video

There was a car in front but at a safe distance (3+ sec). My dashcam was installed next to the eyesight view about 2 years ago. No cracked windshield.

My video file is about 250MB. Not sure how to post such a large file. I'm new.

There is a recall for fuel pump impeller failures on 2019 models.

Exact scenario happened to me (not on the highway though).

Maybe includes your model now?

Thread:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2019-legacy-fuel-pump-recall-282976.html?t=282976&highlight=fuel+pump

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCRIT-20V218-7149.pdf

There is a recall for fuel pump impeller failures on 2019 models.

Exact scenario happened to me (not on the highway though).

Maybe includes your model now?

Thread:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2019-legacy-fuel-pump-recall-282976.html?t=282976&highlight=fuel+pump

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCRIT-20V218-7149.pdf

Thanks for the info. I don't know much about fuel pump. Would such a failure cause the car to gradually slow down?

In my case, however, the car went from highway speed to a complete stop in about 3 seconds (based on dash video). As stated in my NHTSA complaint, the driver, whose car hit mine, said she saw the brake lights before impact. I also did not notice anything wrong with the engine.

Why did you not take over driving the car? Wouldn't you notice the brakes being applied dramatically like that and do something to intervene?

Hmm, not quite sure what you mean.

I was pressing on the gas pedal through the whole thing but failed to get my car to regain its speed. I was NOT on cruise control and/or using the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) feature at all.

It was the car commandeered my driving.

Edited by legacy*

Hmm, not quite sure what you mean.

I was pressing on the gas pedal through the whole thing but failed to get my car to regain its speed. I was NOT on cruise control and/or using the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) feature at all.

It was the car commandeered my driving.

Ah, ok. I was misunderstanding what happened. So the car applied the brakes on its own and did that?! Crazy. I hate the modern technology where it thinks it knows better than the driver. This just solidifies my dislike for it.

Sorry this happened to you, hopefully everything works out!

Sorry this happened as well.. Keep us posted on what Subaru finds..

This is another reason why I steer clear of full electric vehicles.. Never know what kind of things can happen.. Too many factors involved. One pissed of person and a good Hacker and Pow Auto Shutdown on the entire fleet.. (I'm talking about Tesla)..

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

This is scary stuff, I'm sorry it happened to you. I believe there's a class action suit over this very thing.

I've heard of it but it's rare, one complaint I heard was a car that stopped suddenly on a curvy country road for seemingly no reason.

I wonder if these cars have a "black box" that records engine and driver input data?

I would suggest posting it on the Outback forum and or Reddit (r/mechanicadvice)

My guess is that something went wrong with Eyesight.

"The Pre-Collision Braking feature can even apply full braking force in emergency situations" - from Subaru.

I think that's what happened

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Pretty shocking and scary to watch. I mean if that was a Semi behind you with an inattentive driver (??!!) I dont even want to think about what would have happened.

Even one case of this is one too many Subaru.

On another note, was that a fellow Subaru that hit you?

.. Keep us posted on what Subaru finds..

Will do

I believe there's a class action suit over this very thing....

I wonder if these cars have a "black box" that records engine and driver input data?

If you know of a link/information about the lawsuit, please point me to it.

I have added about 50 miles since the accident. If there is a black box, not sure how long it keeps the old data.

I would suggest posting it on the Outback forum and or Reddit (r/mechanicadvice)

My guess is that something went wrong with Eyesight.

"The Pre-Collision Braking feature can even apply full braking force in emergency situations" - from Subaru.

I think that's what happened

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Thank you for the suggestions and information.

Pretty shocking and scary to watch. I mean if that was a Semi behind you with an inattentive driver (??!!) I dont even want to think about what would have happened.

Even one case of this is one too many Subaru.

On another note, was that a fellow Subaru that hit you?

I was still in shock 24 hour later. My whole family was in the car and my 2 young kids were sitting in the back.

Yes, the car that hit mine was a Subaru Outback. Good eyes!

Here is the link of the dash cam video:

I just watched your video. That must have been very frightening for everyone in your vehicle.

I assume when you say “My dashcam was installed next to the eyesight view …” you mean outside & clear of the EyeSight prohibited area?

I noticed at the bottom right of your dashcam video it appears to show some items sitting on the top of the dash that move. They look a bit like blue face masks. Is that a reflection from something somewhere else or was there something on top of the dash? If there were items on the dash, it’s possible they could have caused EyeSight to malfunction.

Quite a while ago I remember a post on some forum where a Subaru in Australia was involved in an unexplained emergency braking situation that caused a rear end crash. I can’t remember the exact circumstances, but I think it was at slow speed & I have an idea the driver may have been using adaptive cruise which would make it a different situation to yours. I’ll see if I can track down that post.

For reference I’ve attached part of the Precaution section of the 2019 Outback – Legacy Service manual that shows the prohibited areas for EyeSight.

2019 LEGACY - OUTBACK SERVICE MANUAL - EyeSight.pdf

I’ll see if I can track down that post.

This is the post I was thinking about. It was about a 2017 Impreza with EyeSight.

The OP ‘felicitydavid’ posted on page 5 on 2017-Mar-28, 7:07 pm; “The eyesight from the vehicle has been sent to Japan for investigation.”. I couldn’t see any follow up to this, not that I would expect Subaru Australia to disclose any findings.

This was a long topic in the whirlpool automotive sub-forum which attracts a lot of idiots who post unnecessary comments, so these need to be skipped over.

... I assume when you say “My dashcam was installed next to the eyesight view …” you mean outside & clear of the EyeSight prohibited area?...

I don't know. My car is in the shop right now and I cannot give you the exact dimension. My 2018 EyeSight Owner's Manual does show the prohibit area but without any measurements (unlike your attachment).

...I noticed at the bottom right of your dashcam video it appears to show some items sitting on the top of the dash that move. They look a bit like blue face masks. Is that a reflection from something somewhere else or was there something on top of the dash? If there were items on the dash, it’s possible they could have caused EyeSight to malfunction...

Yes they were face masks on the dash. Yes they could be in the prohibit area.

I also have a toll tag installed on the windshield behind the rearview mirror.

I did not know having those items could result in an accident which could potentially kill us. I think the manual should state something like that.

I did not know having those items could result in an accident which could potentially kill us. I think the manual should state something like that.

IMO, the EyeSight Owner’s manual should have the same illustrations with measurements the Factory Service Manual has. The pages I’ve attached below from the 2019 Outback & Legacy EyeSight Owner’s manual states for the windscreen & dash prohibited areas; "For details, contact a SUBARU dealer”, which I don’t think is good enough.

I would just assume EyeSight would fail to operate to a lesser degree than it should if something was put in the prohibited area.

I still wouldn’t assume any of the above is the cause of your accident.

2019_Outback_&_Legacy_Eyesight_part-only.pdf

Thanks for that link! I have a dash cam installed on my daughter’s Impreza on the right all the way in the corner. Just so I could get the wires out of sight. Lol. Thankfully it doesn’t interfere with her eyesight system.

Thankfully in my bmw, the camera is inside here right against the windshield. Nothing inside to interfere

A18-D43-D2-79-B5-4-C30-9-C38-9-CF0375-FDD7-B.jpg