LegacyGT.com

Gas smell in cabin - not in engine compartment

Noticed a faint smell of gas the last few times I went on short trips. Tonight we took the car for a longer drive than normal. Very pungent smell of gas in the cabin. No smell or sign of leak in engine compartment. Gas consumption seems normal - no crappier than usual :lol:. No leaks on the ground. Will pull up the rear passenger seat tomorrow morning and put car on lift to inspect underside. Smells like raw gas not exhaust. Any ideas?

Civilization has brought Evolution to a screeching halt

2007 Legacy GT auto

1989 Turbo Trans AM

1987 Buick Grand National

1983 DeLorean (Buick turbo transplant)

Yep, lift the bottom of the back seat, you'll see the plastic fuel pump housing. Inspect it.

Also check the ground under that area in the morning. Or look up at that area.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Pulled up the seat and took of the pump cover. Did not see anything wet or any residue from anything wet. Also inspected the engine compartment in the daylight. Do not see any leaks. Put the car on the lift and did not see anything out of the ordinary underneath. No exhaust leaks. Definitely sounds like the housing. Probably just need to take it apart and inspect it.

Is it just vapors that are leaking from the housing or should I see some liquid?

2007 Legacy GT auto

1989 Turbo Trans AM

Pulled up the seat and took of the pump cover. Did not see anything wet or any residue from anything wet. Also inspected the engine compartment in the daylight. Do not see any leaks. Put the car on the lift and did not see anything out of the ordinary underneath. No exhaust leaks. Definitely sounds like the housing. Probably just need to take it apart and inspect it.

Is it just vapors that are leaking from the housing or should I see some liquid?

Is it always? Only when you fill up the tank?

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

Is it always? Only when you fill up the tank?

Cannot say for sure but car is at 3/4 tank now and I do not notice the smell.

Remember to look at the driver's side under the back seat, I believe there is a transfer pump from that side ?

Did not know there was a transfer pump. Pulled up the inspection plate for the transfer pump and it looks dry - no sign of any leak.

Starting to think it may be the cracked housing. Going to pull up the pump next. Using this down time to address various other issues including the marbles in the dashboard (mode actuator bad - ordered new one), replacing the shifter plate - plastic color worn off, and install a subwoofer amp for the corner fiberglass sub boxes I built.

2007 Legacy GT auto

1989 Turbo Trans AM

Cannot say for sure but car is at 3/4 tank now and I do not notice the smell.

Did not know there was a transfer pump. Pulled up the inspection plate for the transfer pump and it looks dry - no sign of any leak.

Starting to think it may be the cracked housing. Going to pull up the pump next. Using this down time to address various other issues including the marbles in the dashboard (mode actuator bad - ordered new one), replacing the shifter plate - plastic color worn off, and install a subwoofer amp for the corner fiberglass sub boxes I built.

I swapped pumps in the wife's wagon. If it's full it smells in the car. If it's 3/4 it does not. I need to tear into it and see what I did wrong or damaged. I upgraded pumps in my outback and did not have the same problem so I'm 1 for 2

Please keep updating as I'm sure someone else will have this problem in the near future.

*Knocks on wood*

Definitely will. Had to help some friends with more pertinent car repairs over the weekend. Tonight I fixed the marbles in the dashboard (new blend actuator). The sound of silence!

2007 Legacy GT auto

1989 Turbo Trans AM