LegacyGT.com

Bubbling/boiling water noise coming from my engine. Not overheating though.

Greetings my brothers and sisters of the divine order of the legacy GT brotherhood. So the other day I heard a peculiar bubbling/boiling water type of noise coming from my engine bay area. The car is not overheating, yet I do get a hint of antifreeze from time to time. I can’t say that it’s losing coolant or anything like that and it’s not running funny. I replaced both cooling reservoir caps on the radiator and the turbo auxiliary tank. Does anyone have any ideas what this may be a result of? I just don’t want it to lead to an overheating issue. Thanks. Oh yes, and I replace the thermostat as well. About a week ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you sure it’s actually a coolant-related thing? My LGT wagon makes a bubbling noise when I turn the car off because the climate vent actuator on the passenger side has gone bad.

Beyond that, I’m assuming you’ve burped the car on a hill to get the air all out?

next time before you start your car after it has been sitting and the engine is completely cold....

click the key on, but dont start the engine, then turn the key off.

if you hear the sound its not bubbling/boiling because nothing got hot.

its the climate control actuators.

common problem.

if you ever take them out you can lube them up or replace them.

next time before you start your car after it has been sitting and the engine is completely cold....

click the key on, but dont start the engine, then turn the key off.

if you hear the sound its not bubbling/boiling because nothing got hot.

its the climate control actuators.

common problem.

if you ever take them out you can lube them up or replace them.

I have this exact issue, plus the blend door on mine occasionally sticks. Gonna have to do all of this. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Blend door makes weird noises when bad clicking humming etc.

Another problem I’ve had before is first starting up my car it did make a gurgling sound. This was from not being completely bled. Subarus can be a little pain to get all the air out if not done right.

Are you sure it’s actually a coolant-related thing? My LGT wagon makes a bubbling noise when I turn the car off because the climate vent actuator on the passenger side has gone bad.

Beyond that, I’m assuming you’ve burped the car on a hill to get the air all out?

Yes sir. I’ve burped her good. Maybe it’s a bad radiator cap not allowing the system to remAin under pressure???? I’ve heard that can lead to some blown head gasket’s and overheating issues.

When did you hear it? Was it just after shutting it off?

Coolant continues to circulate through the turbo after shutdown and it can make some noise.

Yes I can only hear it when the engine is off. You guys may be right it may be something to do with the coolant circulation after shut down. However, where would the coolant be going? It’s still using up coolant somehow throughout this process. About a gallon every other day. That’s quite a bit

Blend door makes weird noises when bad clicking humming etc.

Another problem I’ve had before is first starting up my car it did make a gurgling sound. This was from not being completely bled. Subarus can be a little pain to get all the air out if not done right.

Wanted to give everyone an update. Come to find out, it was a combination of a couple of things. Number one, the radiator cap was bad and it was not allowing the coolant system to remain under pressure to prevent the “boiling / bubbling” condition I was hearing. Secondly, with the boiling point being too low, it was forcing water out of the top of the radiator cap and that’s why I was losing all of my water.

Thanks everyone. It’s worth noting that those little radiator caps can make or break a motor when it comes to overheating. I would replace him even if you don’t think that you need to if they’re very old. They’re less than seven or eight bucks a pop and there’s one for the turbo and one for the main radiator. 20 bucks could save you your engine.

wow! so it really was boiling? glad you got it solved (?)

yeah caps are important, also the two caps are not the same if i recall, so whenever replacing make sure to get ones that hold the correct pressure.

anytime theres a small leak in the coolant system it will cause it to not circulate as well and that could cause damage.