LegacyGT.com

JMack's 2005 AWP 2005 LGT Wagon

JMack

Wanted to start a thread to document my car (for myself mostly).

23 Jun 2021 - I bought a 2005 Atlantic Blue Legacy GT Wagon with Black leather interior, with a 5 speed manual. 161000 (ish) on the clock. It is a salvage (rebuilt) title (it was included in the tornados of 2018 in Western Ohio), but the damage is a handful of dents from some tree limbs. I plan to get the dents removed by a PDR guy that is local out here that does a good job.

Car is modified, specs as follows (as far as I know)

Stage 2 via Cobb Accessport V2

Cobb Downpipe

Koni adjustable struts

Whiteline HD front swaybar

Whiteline front endlinks

Has an extra set of 17 inch factory wheels (sprayed gold) from another model Subaru, wrapped in Blizzaks (IIRC).

22 Jul 2021 - Topped up on gas at a local Speedway. Left and after a few miles, the car started running a little rough. Next day (23 Jul), dash / instrument panel lit up like Christmas. Checked the codes, and got the P0457 (IIRC). Checked, and sure enough, I SUCK AGAIN! Left my gas cap on the pump the day before. Ordered a new one on Amazon. Car still ran poorly. Topped up on gas on 26 Jul, and after a few miles, the car started running better again! Small victory for me, after many angry words from my wife.

looky.thumb.jpg.97013b7deb4761bdf897ea0926684737.jpg

1472046257_driversinterior.thumb.jpg.77b2fd691a84bf0bc621c163e5c3c5a4.jpg

1768306879_enginebay.thumb.jpg.15201f657cf3bac7810c11288361fc24.jpg

2086634544_LGTrear3rd.thumb.jpg.a9d3026e1086ac48f720805df54b10e3.jpg

60709403_winterwheels.thumb.jpg.60b8f9de98872962aa407279cb9737c9.jpg

Edited by JMack
adding information

oooohh another 05-06 saved. this should be good. It seems like slowly more people are finding the potential of these cars. cause a WRX/STI is worth GOLD, but a well built legacy GT can be a sleeper killer. :lol::spin:

Be easy on the 161K tranny. Mine has 139K but it was babied. I plan to keep it till it dies, then 6 speed.:wub:

oooohh another 05-06 saved. this should be good. It seems like slowly more people are finding the potential of these cars. cause a WRX/STI is worth GOLD, but a well built legacy GT can be a sleeper killer. :lol::spin:

Be easy on the 161K tranny. Mine has 139K but it was babied. I plan to keep it till it dies, then 6 speed.:wub:

I will thrash on it daily, and just find another, or rebuild.

I absolutely LOVE wagons, and wanted to swap my 97 LGT wagon, but it is just a lost cause unfortunately. Would like to put my 97 snowflake wheels on this, but they won't fit over the LGT brakes.

Plan on working on quite a few upgrades, but the wife is fighting me about them right now.

Future plans are replace all the suspension bushings with stiffer units. Powder coat all, and the brake calipers. Injectors, FMIC, and Alky injection with bigger turbo later. That is just the basics. We will see how it goes in the future.

So far I have not found any rust, and the car is wonderful, minus the usual Subaru clunks and rattles, plus an exhaust leak, but that fix is in the works already.

whiteline solid endlinks? those are unusual. No clunking.

Are they? Cool. I thought they were fairly normal when the sway bar got replaced (kind of like a combo deal normally).

I'd say take your time with it and make sure it's running correctly before romping on it. You might use the COBB AP to check a couple things - DAM, fuel and boost are good, any cylinder roughness/misfires, etc.. Welcome and good luck with it!

ABP - Atlantic Blue Pearl

I'd say take your time with it and make sure it's running correctly before romping on it. You might use the COBB AP to check a couple things - DAM, fuel and boost are good, any cylinder roughness/misfires, etc.. Welcome and good luck with it!

ABP - Atlantic Blue Pearl

I will check those on the AP. Honestly, I am not too rough on the car at all. I have never redlined it, and I doubt the previous owner did either. I always keep the fuel above 1/4 (give or take a tiny amount). The only hard part I give it, is that I do not have a garage, so it lives outside.

Hoping to start upgrading little things very soon.

I will check those on the AP. Honestly, I am not too rough on the car at all. I have never redlined it, and I doubt the previous owner did either. I always keep the fuel above 1/4 (give or take a tiny amount). The only hard part I give it, is that I do not have a garage, so it lives outside.

Hoping to start upgrading little things very soon.

Oh you have to take it to fuel cut a few times lol. :lol: But please make sure it is running solid first. I have seen so many people get a Subie, and then they post about how they need a new short block. make sure all maintenance is done first before you start to turn it up.

My weak spot is my trans, A 6 speed would allow me to access more power.

It is running great actually (after the issue with the gas). No CEL, no stumbling, no rough idle.

I do notice that it idles quite high at startup for the first bit (1500 ish). Also the blower motor is noisy (and apparently smells like "old car" according to my wife). Exhaust leak, but I am pricing options on that right now. Everything has to go through the better half and she doesn't want me to spend much on it right now. Needs brakes and maintenance for sure in the near future.

• 8 months later...
The top spring is what is known as a helper spring. This keeps the spring perch seated and in contact with the lower spring while there isn't any load on it. Not sure if this answers your question though. It should be known that other than two fairly rusty springs, I have zero idea of what spring/shock combo I'm looking at in this photo.

MILKRUN  - Click Here

The top spring is what is known as a helper spring. This keeps the spring perch seated and in contact with the lower spring while there isn't any load on it. Not sure if this answers your question though. It should be known that other than two fairly rusty springs, I have zero idea of what spring/shock combo I'm looking at in this photo.

Thanks, that was what I was looking for. I know the struts are Koni inserts. The springs didn't look like anything that I have seen for this gen LGT, and I just had no ideas where it started at.

Anyone have any clue what is going on with these rear springs? I know about the Koni inserts (I know it is all ugly too).

Those seem short for the photo…were they cut? Maybe it’s just me…I’d get some new ones if/when possible in there and get rid of the helpers. Never seen that in these cars...spacers, yes. Helper springs…yikes.

The gold wheels look nice with the blue!

I'm trying to decide if I want to powder coat the original factory (5 spoke) wheels or mount the gold ones. Both have some curb rash and need to be repaired, but I am already working on that.

Those seem short for the photo…were they cut? Maybe it’s just me…I’d get some new ones if/when possible in there and get rid of the helpers. Never seen that in these cars...spacers, yes. Helper springs…yikes.

I have NO idea... Fun times getting a used car. I am looking at all of my options for suspension. I have 3 main ideas. 1 - New Koni inserts with H&R springs. 2 - Coilovers (almost the same cost as the Koni inserts and springs. 3 - go Bilstein. I am leaning toward the Coilovers (ISC's).