LegacyGT.com

Clutch Screwup (A/C drained) Help/insight needed

So, when trying to get the transmission and engine free from each other to replace the clutch, I heard a slow hissing from the A/C Condenser area. Now, I'm assuming it was right where the discharge hose meets the condenser. That's where I heard and saw it spewing from, although the grill was on, so I couldn't get to it fast enough to see... That discharge hose must have gotten caught up on this delrin Grimmspeed oil filler cap I installed a little while ago. Might not have had that problem with the big dorky OEM Subaru one, but in hindsight I guess...

Now, has anyone else run into that problem? What am I looking at with repairs? Was just the hose compromised? Or the condenser ruined? Or simply the connection loosened enough to break the seal? I know I'll probably have to take it to the dealership potentially and get the system inspected, leak tested or whatever. Or is an independent A/C shop good enough to service our cars?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm a little upset that it might cost me a lot more than I bargained for. I really like having A/C lol... Thanks again!

Edited by Jolbaru_LGT

My opinion: There's really no way for us to know what happened. Questions in my mind, did you lose all your refrigerant, or just some? Likely all, unless you just lost some when the hose was tweaked, still, hose is probably compromised.

Rockauto is telling me that hose is $18, and then you can get the TYC condenser I have for $54. If the system is empty, replacing those parts should be super easy. (condenser to compressor I think is the hose you're referring to)

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/subaru,2005,legacy,2.5l+h4+turbocharged,1430733,heat+&+air+conditioning,a/c+refrigerant+hose,6900

MSRP on that hose from subie is a whopping $116..

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2006_Legacy-25L-TURBO-5MT-4WD-GT-Limited-Sedan/AC-Refrigerant-Discharge-Hose-Hose-Pressure-DISCHAGE-Hose-PD/49282863/73424AG00A.html

and a new condenser from subaru is $329.

I'd be surprised if you pulled the connection apart at the condenser, I'm thinkin the hose crimp might've been compromised instead, but it's hard to say. You could buy some cheap refrigerant and put a little in the system, and see if you can see where it's leaking from.

But honestly, For the price of those replacement parts, I'd probably just install a new hose and condenser myself, and then have a shop refill the system with refrigerant. Tell them what you did so they can add a couple ounces of oil too when they refill, or just add a few ounces of pag46 oil yourself into the new condenser. Just be careful if the system isn't fully empty and is still pressurized.

If I recall, the engine tends to fall forward when the tranny is removed.

Yeah, except my brother(the P.O.) thought the engine had to be lifted separately from the transmission to get it to separate. So that's what we did. I've never done a clutch before so I didn't argue. Was this the wrong thing to do?

Rockauto's listings are a little deceptive. That's listed as a compressor that comes with a new condenser, when it doesn't.

You might have better luck than me, but I couldn't get the nylon plug on my condenser to budge. I mention that since that kit says it comes with a new desiccant bag and plug.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=9833404&pt=16858&jsn=7

The expansion valve you don't really need, I hear they're a pain to replace since they're in/behind the firewall or something.

The denso compressor @ $237 seems like a good deal

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/subaru,2005,legacy,2.5l+h4+turbocharged,1430733,heat+&+air+conditioning,a/c+compressor,6628

Though, a recent amazon review has me unsure about it, but you can't always trust reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/Denso-471-1609-A-C-Compressor/dp/B008L07VZ8

My opinion: There's really no way for us to know what happened. Questions in my mind, did you lose all your refrigerant, or just some? Likely all, unless you just lost some when the hose was tweaked, still, hose is probably compromised.

Rockauto is telling me that hose is $18, and then you can get the TYC condenser I have for $54. If the system is empty, replacing those parts should be super easy. (condenser to compressor I think is the hose you're referring to)

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/subaru,2005,legacy,2.5l+h4+turbocharged,1430733,heat+&+air+conditioning,a/c+refrigerant+hose,6900

MSRP on that hose from subie is a whopping $116..

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2006_Legacy-25L-TURBO-5MT-4WD-GT-Limited-Sedan/AC-Refrigerant-Discharge-Hose-Hose-Pressure-DISCHAGE-Hose-PD/49282863/73424AG00A.html

and a new condenser from subaru is $329.

I'd be surprised if you pulled the connection apart at the condenser, I'm thinkin the hose crimp might've been compromised instead, but it's hard to say. You could buy some cheap refrigerant and put a little in the system, and see if you can see where it's leaking from.

But honestly, For the price of those replacement parts, I'd probably just install a new hose and condenser myself, and then have a shop refill the system with refrigerant. Tell them what you did so they can add a couple ounces of oil too when they refill, or just add a few ounces of pag46 oil yourself into the new condenser. Just be careful if the system isn't fully empty and is still pressurized.

What about the condensers with corrosion protection? I do live in WI...

Yeah, except my brother(the P.O.) thought the engine had to be lifted separately from the transmission to get it to separate. So that's what we did. I've never done a clutch before so I didn't argue. Was this the wrong thing to do?

For Subaru clutch jobs I normally leave the engine in place and pull the trans. You can block or strap the front of the engine up but I like to use a jack because you will likely need to raise the front of the engine to get the trans out/in and fine adjustment is helpful.

Well, so far I've got the TYC Condenser, the Header and Desiccant Bag Kit, and the discharge hose in my cart. I'm going to wait for another paycheck to get the compressor.

What else might I need? Sorry for all the noob questions, but I literally know nothing about A/C systems. In all my previous cars, when they stopped working, they stayed broken. I'm not about to go this route with this car.

Well, so far I've got the TYC Condenser, the Header and Desiccant Bag Kit, and the discharge hose in my cart. I'm going to wait for another paycheck to get the compressor.

What else might I need? Sorry for all the noob questions, but I literally know nothing about A/C systems. In all my previous cars, when they stopped working, they stayed broken. I'm not about to go this route with this car.

The new condenser will come with a new desiccant bag installed in it, so you don't need that kit. I'm not sure what you mean by header?

Edited by apexi

The new condenser will come with a new desiccant bag installed in it, so you don't need that kit. I'm not sure what you mean by header?

All good projects have “parts creep”. Need to fix A/C? Might as well throw in a better header while we are there, all fixes need improvements. :lol:

Certified AC tech here, residential and commercial not auto though.

You really need to be vacuuming the system before you recharge it to be honest.

What you can do is add a little charge then reslese some from the bleeder port in an attempt to purge some air.

The best thing to do would be install all the new parts , charge with nitrogen , leak check then vacuum and fill with fresh coolant , as well as mentioned earlier adding the appropriate oil to the compressor.

If I was you I might just go get a quote from a local AC shop before you buy a bunch of stuff

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

^thats great advice thanks. I bought the Rock Auto Condenser and hose, since that was where the leak was, I’m holding off on the compressor and everything else. I’ll just bring those 2 parts with and let them do the rest.