LegacyGT.com

Timing Chain Cover Oil Leak - $ 1,500.00

I have a 2015 Subaru legacy premium. 4 Cylinder.

I always have the service done (oil changes etc..) on time and at the dealer.

With my car at 47,000 miles, the oil light went on.

I checked the oil, and there was barely oil at the end of the dip stick. I added oil and took it the dealer for an oil change.

They did the oil change and told me that there is an oil leak

in the timing chain cover.

To fix it, they said it would be $ 1,500.00.

In my entire life of owning cars, American cars and Honda cars, I have never had such an expensive defect at below 50,000 miles.

I don't know what to do with the car.

:wub:

Are you still within the 60 month/60,000 mile drive train warranty period? If you're out of warranty, but close, I'd give Subaru of America customer service a call, explain your situation, and ask (politely) if they can help.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I checked the oil, and there was barely oil at the end of the dip stick. I added oil and took it the dealer for an oil change.

In my entire life of owning cars, American cars and Honda cars, I have never had such an expensive defect at below 50,000 miles.

I wish I could say the same. My 1995 Taurus needed a new transmission at 46k, and my 98 Cherokee needed all the window regulators replaced (some more than once), along with a the instrument cluster and an AC compressor before 50k.

My luck with Japanese car brands has been much better. (Mazda, Toyota, and Subaru)

I would say the cost you are paying for is the labor.. I know to access my 3.6r Timing Cover Bumper and Radiator and Fans have to come out.. I'm getting ready to hit the shop myself to Replace my Radiator with a Koyo and do a Water Pump, Thermostat and Timing Tensioners and have my New Timing Cover Installed..20210708_125909.jpg.0da62e00614f9b8171d1102041aa9d4c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

You need to find a TRUE Subaru aftermarket shop that will do a quality job for much less. I have one that does nothing but Subaru's. My 2013 legacy prem 2.5i has a bad cat. The dealer wants 3300, the performance shop that built my 06 LGT wants 900. I will be going there.

It cost $1400 to replace the timing belt on my wife's 2011 Forster XT earlier this year.

You're comparing two totally different engine designs. The FB25 engine in Gen 5 Outbacks (MY 2015-2019) does not use a timing belt. It uses enclosed, maintenance-free timing chains instead.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Do it yourself, if you fail the next time you will do it better it is the only way to learn or all your life you will depend on others to fix.

PM me if you need step by step directions.

Unfortunately this forum is all about what wheels someone put on.... even people hardly can change their own oil. If somebody offers some help they try to put him down with unnecessary comments.

Remember you bought your car, the car did not buy you... if you f up something it is not the end of the world. In life you can buy anything except mother. Everything else can be replaced.

Edited by aki334

How bad is that leak? If you don't have the warranty anymore, I would suggest to find an independent mechanic. Dealership will charge way more for the same job vs any other mechanic. At least getting a quote will give you a better idea.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Ahhh yes, the infamous Subaru timing chain cover leaks. It could have been avoided or less prone to leak if they simply used a gasket, rather than just rtv. I'll never understand why engineers thought it was a good idea. There are multiple spots the oil could be leaking from, so before you get the cover re-sealed, power wash the motor and add some dye to the oil. If you're lucky, it may just be a cam sensor leaking.

Unfortunately this forum is all about what wheels someone put on.... even people hardly can change their own oil. If somebody offers some help they try to put him down with unnecessary comments.

I don't want to start a "flame war" with you ... (and I have found some of your posts interesting) ... but can I respectfully say that if you are being honest, then you might have to agree that you have been on several occasions, the one who has made "unnecessary comments." This forum is for anyone who is interested in 6th Gen Legacy's ... it doesn't matter if you are a hardcore DIY-er or not ( but I would dare to suggest that there are many members who change their own oil ... so your comment that " people hardly can change their own oil " is pretty ridiculous) ... but that is not my point. My point is that people come onto this forum for answers on many subjects, not to be subject to even the slightest abuse or jokes ... so I would humbly suggest that you continue contributing interesting posts, but try a bit harder to be less confrontational.

Edited by ammcinnis

theres no way a timing cover leak could cause the engine to leak multiple quarts of oil. it would be everywhere, oil on the road in the driveway, you'd be drawing lines on the ground with an oil drip if it was that bad

chances are theres something else going on and the mechanic is blaming the oil leak because "we have to fix this first because its obviously leaking"