LegacyGT.com

High miler 2019 model. Update.

Hi all.

My 2019 just turned 130,000 miles in 20 months, so I thought I would let you all know what has gone wrong with it in that time.

Nothing, absolutely nothing.

Now, I am on my 4th windshield. Two of them were rock chips but it cracked quickly, too quick to repair the chip. The 3rd windshield just cracked, no chip and the dealer replaced it for free.

It burned a little oil from 40,000 to 75,000 miles. About a quart between changes at 6000 miles. Why did it stop burning oil? I don't know, now it doesnt use a drop. I use Castrol Synthetic with Wix XP filters.

The original Goodyears went till 118,000 miles before hitting the wear bars, damn good. My driving is 95% freeway at 75mph and I have always averaged 32mpg.

Brakes haven't been touched and still have 30% on the pads.

Other than air filters, oil and filters it hasnt been touched up till 120,000 when I had all the 60,000 miles stuff done.

With my easy driving I didnt see the point of spending that kind of money at 60K.

I will update as stuff happens to my '19. Plan to keep it to 300,000, about 3 more years.

Cheers.

Edited by Limeymike

I am an engineer covering IA, SD, MN and NE.

The car is my office and tool box and has to get me where I am going in all weather conditions. Oh, and get me back home too.

6500 a month, not a week. Lol.

Edited by Limeymike

That's great news.. I just finished a 3,300 mile road trip and just hit 155,000 in my 15' 3.6r and Discovered my Radiator Cap broke on the Inside, So I recommend you changed the cap.. Just to be safe I'm going to change the Radiator and while the Front End is apart I'm going to Replace Water Pump and All Seals n Gaskets.. Here's the New Cap compared to the Danaged one..20210607_171909.thumb.jpg.e1efca2559da141df7c4e2c77dad21da.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

I am an engineer covering IA, SD, MN and NE.

The car is my office and tool box and has to get me where I am going in all weather conditions. Oh, and get me back home too.

6500 a month, not a week. Lol.

A month*

Oops that's what I meant.

MILKRUN  - Click Here

... and while the Front End is apart I'm going to Replace Water Pump ...

Is there a problem with your water pump? If there isn’t & providing one of the heads or the timing chain cover isn’t leaking oil, I wouldn’t even think about doing that.

I don't know why Subaru put the water pump where they did in the 3.6.

Edited by XT-sub

I thought my 50k/year was a lot.

Aside from normal maintenance items (wipers, brakes, filters, plugs, etc)

205k on my '16.

(2ea) windshields.

Shifter assembly.

Had to do Recall WUJ-95 (exhaust bellows cracks) myself.

Still frustrated with SOA for not covering that. :mad:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/exhaust-smell-recall-wuj-95-281725p5.html

82K in my '19

(1ea) windshield.

I'm expecting the same exhaust bellows cracks around 180k.

Replacing the tires today.

Edited by Painless

Is there a problem with you’re water pump? If there isn’t & providing one of the heads or the timing chain cover isn’t leaking oil, I wouldn’t even think about doing that.

I don't know why Subaru put the water pump where they did in the 3.6.

When I got a Oil Change in Oregon they saw a little water at the bottom of the timing cover and so I'll have the Bumper and Radiator Out already I figure just replace the Water Pump and Thermostat while everything is removed. I wouldn't want to pay extra labor costs if it does start leaking a few thousand miles down the road.. Trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.. Plus I'm going to get my Timing Cover Custom Painted for Car Shows so this will allow me to get it done and install it.

When I got a Oil Change in Oregon they saw a little water at the bottom of the timing cover and so I'll have the Bumper and Radiator Out already I figure just replace the Water Pump and Thermostat while everything is removed. I wouldn't want to pay extra labor costs if it does start leaking a few thousand miles down the road.. Trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.. Plus I'm going to get my Timing Cover Custom Painted for Car Shows so this will allow me to get it done and install it.

Ah, that makes sense.

In another topic I recently posted a link to the subaruoutback.org topic 2019 3.6R timing cover leak questions. The last post #74 by ‘walker’ commenting about the leak at the front corner/edge of the head gasket where it meets the timing cover on the left side makes an interesting read if you are going to remove the timing chain cover.

I have it from a reliable source that two M6 x 100mm bolts with the heads cut off & the ends ground to a slight taper makes ideal guides for the timing chain cover. ;) Temporarily screw them into the extreme left & right end threaded holes so the cover with sealant applied can slide over these when refitting the cover.

Have you considered removing the engine to do that work? It could be easier.

It sounds like another trophy could be coming up after the custom painted timing chain cover.

Edited by XT-sub

Interesting thread. My 2016 3.6 is at 153K. Haven't had any big problems, failures, leaks. Third set of tires are on now and the brakes were done at 145k.

The car still does the mule/fart/honk thing occasionally but it's become much less frequent for some reason. Still no lights or indicators, bells or whistles going off.

Third windshield, here, too. Wife's 2019 is on it's second.

Ah, that makes sense.

In another topic I recently posted a link to the subaruoutback.org topic 2019 3.6R timing cover leak questions. The last post #74 by ‘walker’ commenting about the leak at the front corner/edge of the head gasket where it meets the timing cover on the left side makes an interesting read if you are going to remove the timing chain cover.

I have it from a reliable source that two M6 x 100mm bolts with the heads cut off & the ends ground to a slight taper makes ideal guides for the timing chain cover. ;) Temporarily screw them into the extreme left & right end threaded holes so the cover with sealant applied can slide over these when refitting the cover.

Have you considered removing the engine to do that work? It could be easier.

It sounds like another trophy could be coming up after the custom painted timing chain cover.

Unfortunately I will be having my local Independent Subie Mechanic doing the work. I figured since the Radiator and Fans were out the cover would be easy to access. I want to color change the bolts but might be pretty expensive since there are so many and different sizes.

Interesting thread. My 2016 3.6 is at 153K. Haven't had any big problems, failures, leaks. Third set of tires are on now and the brakes were done at 145k.

The car still does the mule/fart/honk thing occasionally but it's become much less frequent for some reason. Still no lights or indicators, bells or whistles going off.

Third windshield, here, too. Wife's 2019 is on it's second.

I'm on my 4th Windshield just by luck of the Rock Hits.. Went did 3 in 6 Months.. It sucked.. The last one the installer accidentally cracked the corner when they pressed it down..

Unfortunately I will be having my local Independent Subie Mechanic doing the work. I figured since the Radiator and Fans were out the cover would be easy to access.

I’m not sure about easy, but I hope it all goes well for you. Especially after all the work you’ve put into your car.

I’m not sure about easy, but I hope it all goes well for you. Especially after all the work you’ve put into your car.
I'm more nervous about having pieces of the cap floating in my cooling system than anything because I do a lot of long mileage drives to Car Shows.. I would hate to get any of the pieces trapped in the engine although I will be driving for a few more days until my parts arrive and I get them painted.

• 2 months later...

Mileage 155217.

No repairs since last update. My 4th windshield has cracked after a rock hit it. Again the crack appeared within minutes which pisses me off. It is on the passenger side so in no rush to replace. Mpg avg stays at 32mpg and no oil burning. I purchased the same Goodyear tires that came on the car but from Walmart, not Goodyear. My local Goodyear dealer told me they are different and wont last as long(!). We will soon find out. Still very happy with the cars reliability and performance.

See you in another 25K miles.

Edited by Limeymike

Up to 159K now. Still no issues. Got a 2022 Outback LTD XT on order and will be my new daily driver but I'm still not sure what I want to do with the Legacy. Keep or sell, both have their positives and negatives, just need to decide. Something in me doesn't want to get rid of the now discontinued 3.6 and besides, I've grown quite fond of the car.

That's great news.. I just finished a 3,300 mile road trip and just hit 155,000 in my 15' 3.6r and Discovered my Radiator Cap broke on the Inside, So I recommend you changed the cap.. Just to be safe I'm going to change the Radiator and while the Front End is apart I'm going to Replace Water Pump and All Seals n Gaskets.. Here's the New Cap compared to the Danaged one..[ATTACH]292048[/ATTACH]

If you want an STI or other aftermarket one. Anything that fits the BRZ will fit the OEM radiator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

Hi all.

My 2019 just turned 180,000 miles in 28 months, so I thought I would let you all know what has gone wrong with it in that time.

Nothing, absolutely nothing.:)

I am on my 4th windshield. This one is cracked because of a rock chip, like the others it went from chip to crack in minutes. Because of the location I am leaving it on the car. Interestingly it has been hit several more times but no more cracks. So it seems the crack relieved tension on the glass and the chips remained just chips.

It burned a little oil from 40,000 to 75,000 miles. About a quart between changes at 6000 miles. Why did it stop burning oil? I don't know, now it doesnt use a drop. I use Castrol Synthetic with Wix XP filters. Still no oil consumption at 180,000.

The original Goodyears went till 118,000 miles before hitting the wear bars, damn good. My driving is 95% freeway at 75mph and I have always averaged 32mpg. The replacements have about 50% life left after 60,000 miles.

Update> I put new brake pads on the rear at 165,000 but the fronts are original. I guess I am easy on breaks. The fronts have 25% remaining.

I put a new Serpentine belt on at 135,000. The original was showing no signs of wear but a few bucks is cheap insurance.

At 120,000 when I had all the Subaru 60,000 mile service done. With my easy driving I didnt see the point of spending that kind of money at 60K. I will wait for 200,000 miles and then have the Subaru 60K service done again.

The CVT has been OK. It is the only part of the car that worries me and I am kicking around the idea of changing the fluid. But, with 180K miles will it actually screw things up?

The bolsters on the drivers seat are showing wear, not the cloth but the foam looks mis-shaped. I am 6ft and 210lbs, so not a huge guy, but my miles are typicaly 10 years driving for the normal owner. Cant really complain.

I will update as stuff happens to my '19. Plan to keep it to 300,000.

Cheers.

I believe the 3.6 is still different than the BRZ..

I forgot to mentioned I bought the JDM STI radiator cap and it didn't fit BUT the JDM BRZ cap did fit.

ST45137ZA000

• 2 months later...
Clicked over 200,000 miles this morning:). Still no issues, running as it should. I am going to look at getting a set of new struts in the coming months. I notice the ride has become more 'Cadillac soft' but the tires show no signs of worn struts. I just prefer a tighter handling feel.:spin: OK, onto 250,000, I will report back. (Whatever I try with the attachment it wants to lay on its side)

200K.thumb.jpg.9db6d886e2eb2deb31eb0e38cb50c752.jpg

Clicked over 200,000 miles this morning:). Still no issues, OK, onto 250,000, I will report back.

Love it mate .... I can't wait to hear you eventually report back on the big 300,000 mile turnover. I hope to emulate your achievement ... but taking my relatively low annual mileage into account, I will probably "turnover" before my speedometer does ... but posts like yours, and from other satisfied "high milers," encourages me to continue to "aim high" :lol: