LegacyGT.com

Not impressed with my Proxes 4s in the snow....

voyetra8

We just got about an inch here in Boston, so I was eager to go out and play around in some open parking lots to familiarize myself with their snow performance.

All I can say is be careful! This may sound like heresy to some, but I actually think the Potenzas were as good as (if not slightly better) than than the P4s in the snow.

Perhaps if I could A/B them, I'd be singing a different tune, but the ABS seems to come on almost instantly with the P4s.

I was in a FedEx parking lot, going about 10 miles an hour through virgin snow, and it took about 5 car lengths before I could stop. (Thankfully I got her to stop about a foot before punching through a fence!) :O

In mixed conditions (snow and wet) they really grab the wet areas, and slip in the snow, so it creates a grip/no grip/grip/no grip kind of feelign which is less than confidence inspiring.

Now, to be fair, I generally run my tires with a higher PSI than most 38/36 so I am going to go ahead and pul them back to 36/34 and see how much it helps.

If they are still as bad, I am going to have to get a set of snows, as I wouldn't feel comfortable letting my wife drive it with the P4s on.

(This is the part where someone replies with "WH4T D1d YOU EXP3cT Fr0M 4N 4LL-S34S0N n00b?!?!11)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^^ Did something like that the other day. the car is still wearing the re92s. Yes, ABS was very touchy but i did notice if i gave less pressure on the pedal when braking it took less length to stop & ABS work very little to not at all. A sweet spot if u will, but to produce that on the street time after time would be a challenage of itself.

If you go to the "1010tires" site, the reviews have not been good for the snow performance. Earlier reports on this forum were favorable on these tires, but it was NOT for snow performance (appeared to be for their 3-season performance), and folks on my other car lists have not been happy at all with these tires in the snow.

Another thing to remember is that even snow tires are not that great for stopping in the crapola. Snow/ice/winter tires "do their thing" when they are rotating and use their tread blocks & sipes. In a stopping situation, they are pretty much like any other tire, and rely solely on the little tire contact patch.

Typical "all-season = no-season" tires. Get some snows.

Ron

wow, glad u didnt hit the fence! i worked in boston today and knowing that it would snow, didnt drive the spec because of the low pro tires currently on it. need some snows or great all seasons fast....proxes have now been ruled out. thanks for the input hope ya find something that works well for you and the wifey. i'm gonna try these summer performance tires in the slush thats left on the side streets now just for an idea lol

Having the Proxes 4's on my Volks I know what you are talking about. Obviously the RE92's seem to kick the ABS very fast. The proxes arn't as bad and don't seem to kick the ABS in as quick, but are still a bit touchy. I made the mistake of putting on my Volks too early last year and ran into one snow storm in Feb. So I know exactly what you are talking about. Now with my Nokians on the car I cannot get the ABS to kick in for the life of me. Remember, it's the tires that make the ABS kick in. If the tires are not gripping the ground then the ABS will activate when it's sliding ontop of the surface.
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Having the Proxes 4's on my Volks I know what you are talking about. Obviously the RE92's seem to kick the ABS very fast. The proxes arn't as bad and don't seem to kick the ABS in as quick, but are still a bit touchy. I made the mistake of putting on my Volks too early last year and ran into one snow storm in Feb. So I know exactly what you are talking about. Now with my Nokians on the car I cannot get the ABS to kick in for the life of me. Remember, it's the tires that make the ABS kick in. If the tires are not gripping the ground then the ABS will activate when it's sliding ontop of the surface.

Yep.

There had been some earlier threads bitching about the LGT ABS, but it's all the tires. IIRC, Bosch has the patent on ABS systems, so that ain't it. Way back in '98, my instructor at Mid-Ohio had an M3 coupe with street tires worn to the wear bars, and I was agaianst the belts on his braking, and the ABS never engaged. Taught me about how ABS systems really work!!

Ron

Now with my Nokians on the car I cannot get the ABS to kick in for the life of me.

WRs or RSIs?

I think WRs would be kind of a lame choice, because I already have an "all-season" tire.

Have you heard anthing about Toyo's snows? I'm thrilled with the Proxes in wet/dry conditions, and if their snows are as good, I'd get them in a heartbeat.

I might pick up a set for the Mini :icon_tong

Dude do it, seriously...

Take tonight for example...

damn tires stick in they dry 1923109238x better then the re92's and in the rain they act like they do in the dry... Every time it rains i keep trying to pushem harder and harder (on clovers mainly trying to do a med-low speed yank to push the limits in a more controlled manner)... Anyways i havent really had the heart nuff to make them slide even a little bit...

Well i lie, once i was able to get them to break loose, but then they acted veryv ery behaved.. was sort of disapointed to be honest... wanted the mad dorifto..

hopefully it will snow morrow and i will get my dorifto on... *evil grin*

WRs or RSIs?

I think WRs would be kind of a lame choice, because I already have an "all-season" tire.

Have you heard anthing about Toyo's snows? I'm thrilled with the Proxes in wet/dry conditions, and if their snows are as good, I'd get them in a heartbeat.

WR's are MORE then enough for the MID-A region, i dont understand why anyone would want a full blown tire in a place where it is considered the end of the world when 1 storm drops more then 6 inches... Its a damn joke, the WR's with 50k tread life, severe weather rating, bad ass rain (try that with your dedicated snow tire) traction, "oh shit i cant afford summer tires" summer traction and you have one BAD ASS TIRE. That even I wouldnt mind rolling in the summer (granted they arent ra's but hey in a pinch the beat the crap out of the stock rubber by leaps and bounds)..

yes, definitely run a little lower for the snow.. you dont need to have them inflated that high, heck, you can drop to a 30/26 to get the traction you are looking for..

it's not a dedicated snow tire, don't expect to be some full-prepped snow rally car.

The tires and car did its job: to make you move and have some control over the snow (and new snow infact).

Keefe

We just got about an inch here in Boston, so I was eager to go out and play around in some open parking lots to familiarize myself with their snow performance.

All I can say is be careful! This may sound like heresy to some, but I actually think the Potenzas were as good as (if not slightly better) than than the P4s in the snow.

Perhaps if I could A/B them, I'd be singing a different tune, but the ABS seems to come on almost instantly with the P4s.

I was in a FedEx parking lot, going about 10 miles an hour through virgin snow, and it took about 5 car lengths before I could stop. (Thankfully I got her to stop about a foot before punching through a fence!) :O

In mixed conditions (snow and wet) they really grab the wet areas, and slip in the snow, so it creates a grip/no grip/grip/no grip kind of feelign which is less than confidence inspiring.

Now, to be fair, I generally run my tires with a higher PSI than most 38/36 so I am going to go ahead and pul them back to 36/34 and see how much it helps.

If they are still as bad, I am going to have to get a set of snows, as I wouldn't feel comfortable letting my wife drive it with the P4s on.

(This is the part where someone replies with "WH4T D1d YOU EXP3cT Fr0M 4N 4LL-S34S0N n00b?!?!11)

I haven't had much of a chance to drive the Legacy in the snow, but my Dad did yesterday morning. He said he didn't like how the rear come loose. I'll ask him more, but as for it's handling in the snow, he was very unimpressed with the Toyo Proxes. Hopefully, I'll be able to let you guys have more of an idea of what it's doing.

I haven't had much of a chance to drive the Legacy in the snow, but my Dad did yesterday morning. He said he didn't like how the rear come loose. I'll ask him more, but as for it's handling in the snow, he was very unimpressed with the Toyo Proxes. Hopefully, I'll be able to let you guys have more of an idea of what it's doing.

The rear coming loose is a function of the LSD in the rear, IMHO. Mine does it with the Hankook Icebears, also. Just a function of driving technique with these cars.

Actually, the "loose" rear end in the snow comes in very handy sometimes!!

Ron

WRs or RSIs?

I have the WR's

Don't kid yourself. The WR's are awesome in the snow. Keep in mind that yes they are all-season tires but are the only (I believe) all-seasons rated for snow (little mountain or snow flake on the sidewall). As people are replacing their Blizzaks and such every 2-3yrs the WR's will still be going strong. The proxes 4s are rated as all-season, but are really geared towards performance in terms of an all-season tire.

I live in Chicago were you get 5-6 decent size snow storms a year. Most of the driving is done on salty, slushy, or dry roads. That would tear up alot of snow tires like Blizzaks.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

I live in Chicago were you get 5-6 decent size snow storms a year. Most of the driving is done on salty, slushy, or dry roads. That would tear up alot of snow tires like Blizzaks.

I'm in the same situation (and I had also lved in the Chicago area for five years in the '90s). If I had a commute around the Detroit area where I live, I would never get snow tires. Other than the two blocks out of my sub, the state road I get to is plowed/salted regularly, and I don't have that much snow to deal with. It's mostly slush/water. My work requires me to either get to the airport VERY early in the morning (one job) before the plows come through, and the other job has me going to northen MI, closer to Lake Michigan (lake-effect snow), and we work out in farm country.

The WRs sound like one of the best compromises for the usual big-city stuff, with occasional snow. Another car-buddy of mine lives in southern WI, and he runs them on his two cars.

Ron

Archived