LegacyGT.com

Not impressed with my Proxes 4s in the snow....

voyetra8

How are the WR's in the summer?

Don't know....I put my Volks on with Proxes 4's. :lol: :lol: :lol:

But the fella who sold them to me uses his all year on all his family cars and loves em. They aren't performance tires, just keep that in mind.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So do you think buying a set of WRs to complement my P4s? Is there too much overlap? (I can see some benefit in not going for a total "snow tire" because here in Boston, it's generally plowed/salted/sanded most in fairly short order....)

I've also been looking at the Hankook Ice Bears....

So do you think buying a set of WRs to complement my P4s? Is there too much overlap? (I can see some benefit in not going for a total "snow tire" because here in Boston, it's generally plowed/salted/sanded most in fairly short order....)

I drove on my Icebears last weekend, and I just got back from running some errands in the snow/ice (and 26-degree temps around here. the Icebears work!!

For Boston, a set of good snow tires will work, and the Icebears or Rs will do well.

When the P4s wear out, get some real summer-only tires. All-season tires don't cut it for warm-weather performance use. For any performance enthusiast, running two sets of wheels/tires is the only way to go, and a/s tires should not be in either set.

Ron

Well I got the Proxes 4's not thinking I was gonna get snows. When a deal came up I jumped at them and put them on my stock rims. Had I known I was gonna get snows I would have gotten Toyo T1-S's. :D

I guess every tire has their compromise. For 99% of the year where the roads are either wet or dry - they are outstanding for me.

Don't get me wrong they are great tires, I have them on my Volks. Snow just gives them probs.

I am looking forward to more snow so I can drop the pressure and give them another try.

In Boston, one rarely has to wait for the roads to turn from packed snow to a slushy mess, so I will probably be fine with the P4s if I the pressure drop helps.

Ideally, I'd like to try a set of Pirelli Sottozeros, but I am having trouble finding them in size that works. They seem like they'd be a good fit for the Boston climate, and my "spirited" driving.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Winter+240+Sottozero

I think I'm going to drop the pressure quite a bit and give it another shot before I drop $1000 on a new set of tires and rims, especially since I have a surprise tax bill I have to deal with. *mumble*

Lemme guess...Since I see you live in MA, I bet you just got wacked with that retroactive real estate cap gains tax that the legislature screwed you guys with???

I am looking forward to more snow so I can drop the pressure and give them another try.

In Boston, one rarely has to wait for the roads to turn from packed snow to a slushy mess, so I will probably be fine with the P4s if I the pressure drop helps.

Ideally, I'd like to try a set of Pirelli Sottozeros, but I am having trouble finding them in size that works. They seem like they'd be a good fit for the Boston climate, and my "spirited" driving.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Winter+240+Sottozero

Road & Track had a recent (as in this month or last month's issue) comparing 3 pirelli tires (sottozeros, p zero nero Ms, and eufori summers). The pzeros were awsome compared to the other 2. I think that in the snow tests, the p zero nero's had 33% less performance (as calculated in the article) than the sottozeros. I think RT concluded that the p zeros were the ideal compromise b/w the two...giving up a little in winter (while still very good in winter themselves) and giving up almost nothign to the eufori's in the summer. Get the article. Somebody may have even posted it here...

Lemme guess...Since I see you live in MA, I bet you just got wacked with that retroactive real estate cap gains tax that the legislature screwed you guys with???

You don't even want to know. Thankfully, my tax guy is great, and he's working with THEIRS. (The IRS.)

I was this >< close to buying a damn UP/DP/Pully combo from PLTek too. We even had the pricing worked out.

:mad:

This is a 225/55x17 Nokian RSI mounted on the stock 17" Subaru rims.

Ohhhhhh. Do you like the RSIs?

Since I can't get the Sottozeros, these are next on my list....

I see you are in Southie- me too. (I live in the big church next to the Broadway T.) :)

Where did you get the RSIs? DirecTire?

Add me to the list of very satisfied WR owners. I replaced summer only Goodyear F1s with them for the winter and there is not much of a decline in overall performance. I was very pleasantly surprised. I can see why folks would run them year round. I'd say they give you about 80% of the performance of the F1s in the dry (slightly less than that in the rain - the F1s are da bomb in the rain) - and then there is the snow - for which they were designed. Great tire. I have about 2K miles on them and they seem even better now than when they first went on. I feel like I can drive the car almost the same way...with almost the same feel...on these tires as I did on the F1s. Next best thing to summer tires (at least teh F1s) in the winter.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

Yo! Highwaydrifter... Thanks a million for the deal.

Posted this in another thread, but figured I would share it here as well, so heck this out:

Cost from DirectTire in Norwood Mass for a set of 205/50/17 WRs : $923.34

Cost for exact same tires from Tom at Waukegan: ~$560(!) shipped.

This just reinforces my distaste for most tire dealers. No wonder so many places don't publish prices online- they want to gouge you as much as possible....

Anyway, thanks again! GREAT deal!

Yo! Highwaydrifter... Thanks a million for the deal.

Posted this in another thread, but figured I would share it here as well, so heck this out:

Cost from DirectTire in Norwood Mass for a set of 205/50/17 WRs : $923.34

Cost for exact same tires from Tom at Waukegan: ~$560(!) shipped.

This just reinforces my distaste for most tire dealers. No wonder so many places don't publish prices online- they want to gouge you as much as possible....

Anyway, thanks again! GREAT deal!

see, everyone thinks im bullshiting when i told them about the deal... ;)

Archived