LegacyGT.com

Not impressed with my Proxes 4s in the snow....

voyetra8

I have no experience with the Proxes 4. However, I just went on the factory website and read the literature about it. Nowhere is snow performance even mentioned, other than listing it as an "all-season" tire.

This is telling.

If you find that the ABS comes on almost instantly with them, then it's time for snow tires. A few hundred dollars now could save you a lot of grief in the long run.

Others have mentioned the Nokian WR. I have them on my Audi. As snow tires go they're so-so, but as all-season tires go they're great in the snow. I left them on the car all summer, since I put most of my summer miles on my motorcycles. They're not bad in the summer.

HTH.

We just got about an inch here in Boston, so I was eager to go out and play around in some open parking lots to familiarize myself with their snow performance.

All I can say is be careful! This may sound like heresy to some, but I actually think the Potenzas were as good as (if not slightly better) than than the P4s in the snow.

Perhaps if I could A/B them, I'd be singing a different tune, but the ABS seems to come on almost instantly with the P4s.

I was in a FedEx parking lot, going about 10 miles an hour through virgin snow, and it took about 5 car lengths before I could stop. (Thankfully I got her to stop about a foot before punching through a fence!) :O

In mixed conditions (snow and wet) they really grab the wet areas, and slip in the snow, so it creates a grip/no grip/grip/no grip kind of feelign which is less than confidence inspiring.

Now, to be fair, I generally run my tires with a higher PSI than most 38/36 so I am going to go ahead and pul them back to 36/34 and see how much it helps.

If they are still as bad, I am going to have to get a set of snows, as I wouldn't feel comfortable letting my wife drive it with the P4s on.

(This is the part where someone replies with "WH4T D1d YOU EXP3cT Fr0M 4N 4LL-S34S0N n00b?!?!11)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As was stated above, all-season tires arent really designed to be "good" for snow. I did fine with the RE92's here in Feb. We had a good amount of snow on the streets and AWD plowed through it. If the RE's can do it, I know most any other tire can as well. :lol:

Something weirder, I had bald 3-season Kumho's on a 97 saturn, that were able to drive through 3+ inches of snow on the road. It was me and the dump trucks on the road that night in 2003. lol, point being, it's all about how you drive the car as well.

2012 Forester XT. Stage 2+

Retired from Racing. I used to build FMIC and more.

I need to revisit the Proxes 4's in the snow again. They really got put to the test today as we got a good 12-15" of snow in about 10 hours. It stopped snowing right about the time I left work and for the last couple hours of the storm it was comming down at about 2-3" per hour so the roads were bad. One road and my street were NOT plowed at all. I was a little worried so I drove slower with no problems. Yes braking did take longer than it would have with some "real" all-season tires (like I had on my Outback and XC70)and I did have to corner slower, but the car accelerated much better than I was expecting. I stopped on a big hill and started back up without a problem. I was parked on the street and my car was plowed in - backed right out without a problem (tires spun, but hey the snow bank was up to my license plate). My wife also parked on the street and had to have someone push her out of her spot (MCS w/ 20k on the RS-A's = sucks in the snow). I think it's more of needing to get use to this car in the snow and as I pointed out in another thread, with 300 hp, Whiteline sways F&R, iON's and Proxes 4's, this car is not exactly set-up for winter driving.

NHLG-

I just spent 6 hours in the car yesterday- and I still have my Proxes on.

Like you say, I never had an issue with *forward* traction, but they REALLY don't seem to have any *stopping* traction. This seems to be the main problem with them in the snow, in my experience.

Regardless, my WRs should be arriving this week. I'll report back with my findings....

NHLG-

I just spent 6 hours in the car yesterday- and I still have my Proxes on.

BTDT. Had to drive Boston - Peabody - Manchester NH - Boston last Friday, all through the storm. Took 3.5 hours to go 50 miles, Manchvegas to Boston.

Nokian RSI's were excellent, however.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

BTDT. Had to drive Boston - Peabody - Manchester NH - Boston last Friday, all through the storm. Took 3.5 hours to go 50 miles, Manchvegas to Boston.

Nokian RSI's were excellent, however.

Yeow! Was this because everyone else was driving like a moron?

I considered the RSIs, but was talked out of it by the salesman. Would be interested to hear how they wear. I can't imagine any conditions giving you trouble with those crazy things on.

Yeow! Was this because everyone else was driving like a moron?

I considered the RSIs, but was talked out of it by the salesman. Would be interested to hear how they wear. I can't imagine any conditions giving you trouble with those crazy things on.

The saleman must of had a bunch of other tires to sell!!

Ron

Archived