LegacyGT.com

Best performance brakes/rotors? 2012 3.6H

I am looking up upgrade my brakes and rotors. Aside from OEM, what is the best solution to achieving good performance and stopping power?

I tend to hear that Akebono is near the top of the line. I'm not sure if they're the best in terms of performance/stopping power though.

browse at http://www.knsbrakes.com or simply goto http://www.Tirerack.com

I personally don't like how Hawk Street pads feel and prefer the cheaper Stoptech Street Pads in terms of street performance and initial bite. EBC

OEM Pads are generally a compromise but they tend towards sacrificing brake performance and feel for lower dust and quiet operation.

As for rotors, Brembo, Centric/Stoptech, DBA blanks or slotted would be fine.

Best thing you can do is a good bleed with maybe some DOT 4 fluid.

If I didn't already have aftermarket 4 pots , I would have gone for this option:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cadillac-brembo-adapter-100-shipped-until-theyre-gone-267993.html

I think that solution achieves a bigger diameter rotor than the normal Subaru brembos, while being much better value.

if i remember right, because of the 5th gen's master cylinder and rear calipers, you need to use black sti brembo rears if you're upgrading to the cadillac fronts to keep some semblance of a correct brake bias...so while it's still less expensive than going for a full set of sti brembos, it's still not super cheap Edited by creep_nu

I think I'll stay away from the Cadillac route. Looks too complicated for a noob like me.

STi setup sounds about right. Does it require any special modifications?

if i remember right, because of the 5th gen's master cylinder and rear calipers, you need to use black sti brembo rears if you're upgrading to the cadillac fronts to keep some semblance of a correct brake bias...so while it's still less expensive than going for a full set of sti brembos, it's still not super cheap

Do the 3.6's have the same brakes as the GT? Those are decent from the factory.

I went with Brembos and for the fronts you can use any STI generation Brembo all the way to latest yellows. For the rear you will need the 08-up black or yellow Brembos with the matching 08-up rotor which has the proper rotor offset. Just get dual drilled 5-100/114 rotors and they will bolt on. You will have to modify or remove the rotor splash shields to clear the bigger rotors. I just bent the front outwards and did some trimming at the rear so I could keep the shields because streetcar.

The big difference for me was in feel. Very nice modulation. Ultimate stopping power is probably not far from each other IMO.

Then I put on Stoptech Street Performance pads, very good initial bite with a bit more heat resistance. Makes for a very nice street setup IMO.

Best bang for buck? Probably stock brakes with Stoptech Street Performance pads.

I found front and rear kits for WRX STi's 400-600.00. I guess I can just go for a '08+ STi front and rear kit since the rear has to be 2008+ anyway? What do you think of the price? (The screenshot only shows the front kit.)

Also, do the calipers have to be upgraded as well?

Do the 3.6's have the same brakes as the GT? Those are decent from the factory.

I went with Brembos and for the fronts you can use any STI generation Brembo all the way to latest yellows. For the rear you will need the 08-up black or yellow Brembos with the matching 08-up rotor which has the proper rotor offset. Just get dual drilled 5-100/114 rotors and they will bolt on. You will have to modify or remove the rotor splash shields to clear the bigger rotors. I just bent the front outwards and did some trimming at the rear so I could keep the shields because streetcar.

The big difference for me was in feel. Very nice modulation. Ultimate stopping power is probably not far from each other IMO.

Then I put on Stoptech Street Performance pads, very good initial bite with a bit more heat resistance. Makes for a very nice street setup IMO.

Best bang for buck? Probably stock brakes with Stoptech Street Performance pads.

Screenshot_20210326-230139_Chrome.thumb.jpg.251ebcfd0a9cee2db89c0c9f67cb69fe.jpg

Edited by 2012 Legacy H6

Are those axle sets for Brembo calipers, pads, and rotors? Good price if so.

But there is talk of Rockauto selling replica Brembo calipers, you may want to double check.

For the street, no need to change the calipers. I recommend Stoptech Street Performance 309 series pads and any of the rotors already mentioned here.

Are those axle sets for Brembo calipers, pads, and rotors? Good price if so.

But there is talk of Rockauto selling replica Brembo calipers, you may want to double check.

For the street, no need to change the calipers. I recommend Stoptech Street Performance 309 series pads and any of the rotors already mentioned here.

They are PowerStop so not sure of the quality. However when it comes to 2008+ for rears, can I just go with 2008+ fronts as well instead of 2004+?

The braking power of the stock h6 calipers are more than plenty for pretty much everything. Get a good set of rotors, pads, and if youre so inclined a master cylinder brace, stainless steel lines, and DOT 4 fluid.

I'm running centric premium rotors, stop tech pads, master cylinder brace and goodrich ss lines and the car has great bite, excellent stopping power and removed the squish.

Now I wouldn't track with that setup but its absolutely fine for my raptor header 3.6r for everyday driving

Awesome I was searching for a MC brace and didn't come across anything for the 3.6. Where did you get your headers/where can I get a set and how hard is the install? I'm looking to put those in my 3.6 as well.

The braking power of the stock h6 calipers are more than plenty for pretty much everything. Get a good set of rotors, pads, and if youre so inclined a master cylinder brace, stainless steel lines, and DOT 4 fluid.

I'm running centric premium rotors, stop tech pads, master cylinder brace and goodrich ss lines and the car has great bite, excellent stopping power and removed the squish.

Now I wouldn't track with that setup but its absolutely fine for my raptor header 3.6r for everyday driving

Edited by 2012 Legacy H6