LegacyGT.com

TPMS Question / Resolution?

I have my 2008 Legacy GT with OE Wheels, one of the wheel has slight bent (only visible when it put on a balancing or driving over 70 mph). No TPMS light on unless I drove 70 mph+

So I decided to switch all four wheels and tires to my 2013 BRZ Wheel (which also has TPMS sensor at 315 mhz, but it is different style, Subaru Parts # are different).

Then bring it to a local specialty store to relearn it but the TPMS light kicked on whenever I start the vehicle with the BRZ wheels (which has snow tires on it).

My question is, should I order a new set of 08 Legacy GT TPMS sensors and put them on the BRZ wheel? Or should I get those Autel sensor which can clone the OE sensors?

FWIW, I just put a piece of black electrical tape over that light, I don't ever see it.

Much easier and cheaper then chasing something you don't need.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Good idea; but I remembered if the TPMS blinking, it is either outside temp is below 37F. or the speed sensor in error before the CEL kicks in.

I have 2 TPMS sensors with dead batteries on my OB

My OB blinks every time I started up car and then it goes solid after a couple minutes. When I had low tire pressure, the sensor just went solid, it did not blink.

The TPMS warning light doesn't blink below 37, that is the center cluster temperature readout. If it is blinking every time you start up the car, the car is probably not communicating with the sensor. It doesn't sound like they didn't programmed the car TPMS module properly.

I have 2 TPMS sensors with dead batteries on my OB

Welcome to the club. Same issue after having new tires installed. That was back in 2016, tape had been there ever since.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

If I really want to get rid off the TPMS light (beside taking off the bulb); should I install those AUTEL sensor and have the AUTEL MX (?) to clone the OE wheel sensors and reprogram to the new sensors?

Reason being is I think in summer time, the OE set may not be annoying as the winter set BRZ wheels.

If you want to spend the money doing that...just make sure its worth it.

That piece of black tape is really cheap.

What will it cost you for the sensors, having them installed, etc. ?

Once in a while one can find VDO SE10003 TMPS modules on rockauto for ~$16 each which is pretty cheap. I've used these and programmed them into our 3x 08-09 subies using an ATEQ Quickset unit for several years now

Sounds like the shop didn't properly program the sensors, or the sensors are incompatible. My autox wheels have the sensors from a 2011 WRX, and those don't communicate with my '07 spec.B, even after programming the serial numbers with my ATEQ QuickSet. They're simply not compatible (I believe it uses different radio bands).

I've always used tire racks version and they have lasted a long time $38 each too so it doesn't break the bank... One set got me 100k the second set is still kicking at 59k... It's not hard to get the system working. When you get that communication error light just replace them.

I have a TPMS thread on here with the tools that I used the first time I had to do it. Hell I still have the tools but my last tire install the shop programmed and activated them for me for free.

The money I see people throw at mods on here yet TPMS gets a piece of electrical tape on the dash. LOL

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk