LegacyGT.com

Service costs???

I've narrowed my new car search to 2 vehicles, the Legacy GT sedan and the Acura TSX. I've driven both and I've read all I can on each as well. I'm getting down to the dirty details now, like service bills and what not. Anyone had their cars in for service and have an idea of costs? How often do they recommend coming in? 10k? I'll admit I know nothing of service intervals on the Legacy, but I do know Acura service a bit, and I also know it's pretty steep. Thoughts? Thanks.

Well, for starters, the oil changes and stuff I can do by myself. The only one thing that I have not been able to handle is the 'spark plugs' on my WRX, since they are pretty snug in there, and given the horizontal nature of the engine, are a pain to get too. The dealer would charge about 200 bucks for them...installed. Kinda steep yes, but worth it, if you are a nervous about screwing something up. The same labor rate applies (at least in NY where it's ~ 75-85 an hour). Other than that - air filters, oil, oil filters, fuel filters, are fairly easy (except brakes, which can be done too, but require some patience) to do manually...if you are into that sort of thing. I never used to be, till I got the WRX, and now, it's a snap. hope this helps a little. i.

I figured the plugs aren't that hard...just never got around to actually needing new ones...yet. I have seen detailed specs on the install...at scoobymods (what a wonderful site to learn from)...as I am sure this site will come to be. I have changed plugs and wires on my other cars, which I no longer own...but this will require some thought/time on the scoob's. Later, i.

Changing the plugs in a wrx can easily be done in under 30 minutes. The Legacy looks like it will be the same, though they don't need to be changed for quite some time. There is no meaningful maintenance that needs to be done for the first 2 years and then it is only new brake fluid (easy) and new tranny and differential fluid (also easy). The only hard thing (and it is not all that hard) is the timing belt and that is good for 105k miles

Make sure the enginie is cold. Then look in the owner's manual for the gap and torque spec (which should be around 15 ft.lbs.) put a dap of antiseize on the threads of the plugs and put the new ones in. Once you build a few motors and trannys things like swapping spark plugs don't even register on the difficulty meter :lol: although you can run into problems on any job.

Don't really have to worry about changing any plugs soon. The Legacy GT uses iridium plugs which are good for a 100,000 miles, I don't intend to wait that long either to replace plugs but it will be definitely be running them longer than platinum plugs.

I have to admit owing both a Honda and Subaru, the Subaru is certainly a lot cheaper on the services that is for sure. The parts seem to be a lot more accessible too should you need or want to install them yourself. At the end of the day, both cars are great but if your looking to save on normal everyday costs, the Subaru would be the best option.

I changed the plugs and wires on my 00'GT Wagon three months ago, it was fairly easy once you removed the washer bottle. The 05 GT looks a little more difficult. The engine is lower in the frame and has the coil on top of each plug. I also have Honda's, the plugs and wires are even easier to change on them. I've gotten good at working on the 1992 Civic Si which is turboed. Just put a rebuilt engine in my 1993 Civic Si.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

[quote name='Max Capacity']I changed the plugs and wires on my 00'GT Wagon three months ago, it was fairly easy once you removed the washer bottle. The 05 GT looks a little more difficult. The engine is lower in the frame and has the coil on top of each plug. I also have Honda's, the plugs and wires are even easier to change on them. I've gotten good at working on the 1992 Civic Si which is turboed. Just put a rebuilt engine in my 1993 Civic Si.[/quote] Ohh so it does have coil packs? I was hoping and figured it would.

[quote name='are_emm71']I've narrowed my new car search to 2 vehicles, the Legacy GT sedan and the Acura TSX. I've driven both and I've read all I can on each as well. I'm getting down to the dirty details now, like service bills and what not.[/quote] The Legacy and TSX are also my two finalists. I drove both and think that they feel completely different. I would say the TSX feels like a tamed 4-door version of the Prelude, all nervous and needing to rev. The Legacy has a more european feel to it, more like a VW Passat (my wife has a 2002 1.8T manual). The GT will of course eat both the TSX and the Passat alive. Even the tamer 2.5i, with a manual, is a torquey little sleeper that can surprisingly feel more powerful than the TSX in everyday driving, when revs are kept below 4000 rpm. As for service bills, they should be about the same here in North America. Acura is an "economy" luxury brand and Subaru wants to be a "premium" regular brand. From experiences of people I know, I gather that Subaru parts are expensive and Acura labor charges can be stiff.

Seems like a few of us w/ the same feelings... We're also looking at the Legacy and TSX, with the Accord thrown in for good measure. Still waiting to drive the TSX and Accord, but they're going to have a lot to live up to against the Leg GT, and even the 2.5i which was also pretty impressive. Decisions, decisions...

Archived