LegacyGT.com

Catless vs Catted Downpipe

Hello,

I'm in the middle of rebuilding my engine and was wondering what the differences for an aftermarket downpipe are in terms of it being Catted or Catless.

I'm in CA and I was told that regardless of the pipe, I would have to remove the aftermarket one and add my old one. Does anyone have any answers to either question?

Any help appreciated thanks!

I believe in CA you have to have the OEM style. PM member "m sprank" he would know as he used to have a repair shop in CA.

Go with the catted, its cleaner, better for the Plant and no HP difference. I swapped my catless one out a few years back.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

That's a good vendor. Do you have a cobb AP ? You'll need that or a opensource tune for the DP.

Yes the support bracket is located in a different spot between the 5mt and 5eat.

If you need a Cobb AP, may be check out https://www.cryotuneperformance.com/

Tell Dave we sent you and ask him for a package deal...can't hurt. But he is the one you want to have tune your car.

"m sprank" may have a tuner contact too from when he was in CA.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

With 3" Dp yes. The Cobb AP will have a Stage 2 MAP which is for any 3" Dp.

You also don't need a up pipe as your is catless. in 07-09. I didn't realize the car year in the PM.

If your real good with a laptop and IT, you can go open source tune, but most Tuners don't like that, because most people need to be trained by the Tuner how to use the software, they can't bill you for all that time, as it would cost to much.

The Cobb AP V3 is a nice unit. Both my cars have one.

Smog is tough out here. I have an 07 at Lgt wagon as well, and believe you would need a catted dp to pass. If it’s aftermarket it’s got to at least look stockish to not raise eyebrows but they are absolutely checking for a catalytic in any case. Mine is untouched so I don’t sweat it every two years but any member in CA who has switched has aired grievances over inspections and swapping back to stock to pass. Hope that helps.

If you are going to swap in an OEM every two years to pass smog that’s fine but I’d still suggest getting a catted DP anyway. Uncatted cars can be a bit stinky and the cat is a hi flow unit so your just leaving a few ponies on the table. But mainly way less douchey for the environment...

From what other members have said on local FB groups it really depends on the SMOG Tech. But for safety's sake just drop the stock one in when it comes down to it. Which is what I'll do. I'm more interested in the Catted Downpipe anyway,

Does rallysportdirect differentiate between MT and AT Downpipes?

Edited by crisjp3
More Info

This should be the 5eat DP. I did a google search for Invidia HS05SLADPC

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/332168112765521269?q=invidia+catted+downpipe+HS05SLADPC&sxsrf=ALeKk02j3VObc78cgOu6s1qS6t4LkLq4xQ:1613762942249&biw=1280&bih=881&prds=epd:13524706341647075805,prmr:1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwin6c3H1_buAhXInuAKHWIzBXcQ8wIIwwQ

Call them and verify they can ship if to you in a few day's.

Edited by Max Capacity