LegacyGT.com

Fiberglass Sub-box Walkthrough

I started on making mine today. Just finished the third layer of glass. While waiting for each layer to dry I installed the second amp. So far everything is coming along quite nicely....or that could just be the fumes talking. I did manage to kill my battery though. My X50 screamed at me "Low Voltage" and by then it was too late. Just makes clicking noises. I'll jump her in the morning.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So the question I bet all want to ask is.. who is willing to start making them for the rest of us and how much are they wanting for one. I would like to make my own using the write up, but I have no mechanical talent, plus I'm super lazy. So any takers? I'd be willing to pay around 200.00 shipping included for a box made for me. If anyone is interested please let me know. Thanks

So the question I bet all want to ask is.. who is willing to start making them for the rest of us and how much are they wanting for one. I would like to make my own using the write up, but I have no mechanical talent, plus I'm super lazy. So any takers? I'd be willing to pay around 200.00 shipping included for a box made for me. If anyone is interested please let me know. Thanks

That is an awesome question. I think there was a poll already done about guaging intrest in making some of these enclosures. It was initiated by a company that makes enclosures for the wrx. I have actually thought about making more of them for legacy members... but I would be more than willing to share my idea of how to do them quickly and efficiently without having to prep your trunk each time you do it.

If I was to start making them, I would obviously have to make it worth my while (not insane profit or anything... but enough to offest materials and some time...) So I might start a poll later on... not sure yet. But anyways, what I was thinking is that once you make an enclosure for each side, just the first layer or so... take it out of the car. Then have a large container or something that you can pour plaster into. basically use the plaster to make a mold of the enclosure. Once that is done, you wouldnt have to prep your trunk each time you did it, and you wouldnt have to be worried about getting resin on the paint or carpet.

Thats just my thoughts on it. I would definately have to guage the intrest level before I did it, but if anyone else would want to do this... that would be awesome as well.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

I started a poll... Hopefully it will be useful in determining the fesability in making multiple enclosures.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25395

As far as sound, it sounds just as good as my non-ported box that I have in there. I say still have in there because I havent made the second enclosure yet... Im so busy and lazy... lol.

Also, I forgot to put in the poll which side... Driver or Passenger? Drivers side would be easier for me since I havent made it yet... :p For the passenger side, I would have to make a mold again, but I might just do that if all goes well... Hey... maybe I can get a Cleansweep if I do enough of these... lol.

• 4 weeks later...

Update with pics?

I started on making mine today. Just finished the third layer of glass. While waiting for each layer to dry I installed the second amp. So far everything is coming along quite nicely....or that could just be the fumes talking. I did manage to kill my battery though. My X50 screamed at me "Low Voltage" and by then it was too late. Just makes clicking noises. I'll jump her in the morning.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
I was so glad to see executor's subsequent post about JL subs...it so sad to see all that time and energy wasted on a Sony explode sub! I am a car audio-file more than anything else...JL is my favorite sub for the price...Focal is the best and consequently most expensive. Anyone doing this, PLEASE for the sake of your Suby rep, use a good sub, don't cheap out. Suggestion...use a lot of Dynamat EVERYWHERE!!!!

• 2 months later...
so anyone take the time to figure out the .cu for these?

Fill the box with something like packing peanuts (suggested earlier), then take a box you know or can calculate the cubic inches of and see how your amount of packing peanuts fills it up. Each box will be a little different.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

i have begun my install and will post pics at the end .....p.s did you know the wagon spare tire space has about 3.9cuft of air space.......and yes im useing it all cause i have 18"rims year round and AAA.........

alpine 6.5 touch screen

alpine 6.5" type R components front

apline 6.5 type S coaxial's rear fillers

alpine v power amp 150x4

alpine v-power amp 2000x1

Kicker SoloBaric L7 15" dual 4ohm bridged to 2ohm

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you wondering what the .cu is... I dont have the boxes anymore... But I'm getting another 05 LGT soon and will be making 2 more boxes (for me... at least for now :p ). If you really need/want to know what the .cu is... Its gonna be the same .cu as the location its at, all the way out to the spare tire lid, and then cuts off at the point where each tire well spot is flush (or closest) with the spare tire lid. It wasn't a lot of space, but I had a cheap Q logic dual sub box with optional ports (took off some plastic things at the top and it was "ported") and these custom boxes sounded just as good as the box. But I'll pretty much garuantee that if you have a really good JL ported box, or at least the ones they show on their sites with the center ports, they wont sound nearly as good in a custom box. But thats just something you have to determine for yourself, do you need the space or do you need premium sound? If you can do with good sound, make the boxes... If you gotta have every decible, your gonna need special ported boxes :)

But thats just my observations and my ears... Others may disagree.

BTW, the new LGT will have 2 JL 10w3v4's pushed by a 500/1 and 4 focal (not sure the exacts on them yet...) but they'll be pushed by a 300/4... Black edition amps too :) Woo Hoo!

Now all I'm gonna need is a cleansweep. :(

i have begun my install and will post pics at the end .....p.s did you know the wagon spare tire space has about 3.9cuft of air space.......and yes im useing it all cause i have 18" year round and AAA.........

alpine 6.5 touch screen

alpine 6.5" type R components front

apline 6.5 type S coaxial's rear fillers

alpine v power amp 150x4

alpine v-power amp 2000x1

Kicker SoloBaric L7 15" dual 4ohm bridged to 2ohm

Pics of the dash?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry to dig up this thread but it was a great resource and I made a box of my own.

My question is this, I made the mistake of making simply a ring instead of a hole cutout in a large piece of fiber board. As a result I had to lay the fiberglass over the ring and trimmed the excess. Now my question is this, will mounting the sub to the box with fiberglass between the fiber board and sub itself be a detriment to the sound quality or does it not matter? I'm kind of screwed and have to regardless because if I trim the fiberglass away the ring will fall out.

Should I put something between them? I'm still in the air as to if I should bondo and paint or just carpet it. Would carpet between the sub and the fiberglass be better?

Also some advice for people who plan to do this, don't buy the Elmers resin they sell at Lowes, its awful. Find the Bondo brand, dries in 2 hours hard as a rock while Elmers takes DAYS (and yes I mixed it right).

You should be fine as long as you can get a good seal between the sub and the box itself. perhaps a rubber ring, or some of that door sealing sticky foam tape that you can get from home depot? and make sure you pre drill any holes before you put screws through the fiberglass.

That foam tape was exactly what I had in mind! The sub itself also has a pretty hefty rubber gasket around it but I should put the foam in as well to be safe incase anything isn't even. And thanks for the heads up on drilling, I was probably going to be lazy and just screw it in.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I have taken the leap and started to build the box on my passenger side today. I have taken pictures and it is now drying. I will post some pictures in this thread, but stayed tuned for my audio install thread which will hopefully be posted by mid august at the latest. Thanks to executor485 for replying to my flurry of private messages about the process and materials, really do appreciate that. Also if it wasn't mentioned...fiberglassing is a pain in the ass.

Archived