LegacyGT.com

Fiberglass Sub-box Walkthrough

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The price kinda depends on how wasteful you are with some of the materials, and how much you can get the MDF and carpet for.

If I were to give a very rough estimate of the price per box, it would be in the $80 range. It might be a little more, depending on how cheap you can get the materials for, or if you already have some things, just make sure you have enough brushes, containers, gloves, etc... Its a very messy job. I think my first box was in the $110 range, but I had to buy an 8x4 sheet of MDF and I bought a lot of spare stuff that I ended up using on my second box.

You might be able to cut down the cost if you use felt soaked in the resin instead of applying 2 and 3 layers, but you will definately need to use the fiberglass cloth for the first layer.

Good luck if you choose to make the box. I absolutely love mine, even if they arent ported or exactly the specs that my subs require. They take up very little space and sound excellent for what they are. Just be patient and make sure you take your time masking everything up. The worst thing you can do is be impatient and end up getting resin all over your car interior and/or exterior... Its also nice to have a friend there to help, but not a must... I did it myself for the second box and it was much harder without someone there to help.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

hey executor, quick question, you do remember how much carpet you bought? i'm going to pick up the MDF hopefully today and will be able to carpet and install the first box tomorrow. Was just wondering how much you paid for it.

The difference is only that the woven fiberglass cloth is SOOOOOOOO much easier to work with. The regular mat stuff will work, but it was such a pain in the rear to use, and the fibers got everywhere and created little threads that acted like needles when you went to sand it and lay down the next layer, etc... It was an absolute mess! The stuff was horrible, I was about to give up but figured I should try the woven cloth and it was a dream to work with. So, if you really wanna use the mat stuff its not going to work better or worse in terms of ability. But for the ease of use, definately stick with the woven stuff.

Some teasers pictures...stay tuned for my somewhat all inclusive audio installation thread.

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o434/moose00015/P1020535.jpg

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o434/moose00015/P1020544.jpg

its all my local audio shop had...at this point im trying to make sure that I can get the boxes in the car before I go back to school. I personally don't think its a huge issue as I'm not planning on showing off my trunk to every person who hears me, if you don't like it thats fine, its your opinion and you are entitled to it. I'm perfectly happy with the result though. You probably won't like the fact that the carpet doesn't cover the entire box then either...

If it was all they had and you at least tried to get something that matched, that's good enough for me. I just know people that could care less and grab whatever. The point I'm trying to make isn't about carpet matching anyway...it's about just how much time and effort it takes to make these enclosures (yours looks great btw) and how laim it is to punk out on that one final step that makes it look so uber cool and factory. It's the difference between the box looking like it's supposed to be there (half the point of going the fiberglass route) and the box looking like it completely doesn't belong. Sorry if my post seemed harsh.

I went a slightly different route. After making the mold, my friend and I floated a ring, and stretched fleece over the top to make a contoured mold.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l177/ean611/DSCN0590.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l177/ean611/DSCN0591.jpg

That's the test fitting. Those still need sanding, which we're working on at the moment. We're debating between painting them to match the white exterior, covering them with white swede, or covering them in gray carpet.

I don't have pics of the floating rings. All I can say is the front is fleece covered in fiberglass resin, then "milkshake" (body filler mixed with fiberglass resin plus hardeners).

Here is a sanded pic. not done yet, but it's more smoothed out.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l177/ean611/DSCN0594.jpg

whobaru, you're probably right.

The difficulty will be getting the carpet to stick to the contours. Any ideas on how to make sure it still looks good that way?

That 3M spray on contact cement... :)

I liquid nailed my carpet to the enclosure and it looks just fine, but the carpet I got was very stretchable, so I was able to manipulate the corners to look good by pulling the fabric really tight.

• 4 months later...
what size subs are people putting in these? will this work with a 12" sub?

You can put anything in it that you like really, I've found that 10"s work best for the most part, but you can put 12's in them if you want, just might need to float the ring to get the little bit of extra space for the 12.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l177/ean611/IMAG0025.jpg

That's what one of my sub boxes looks like post drunk driver.

There are two holes in the mold, and the front is half seperated from the rear. I pulled the carpet to see how much damage there is.

I'm thinking of using fiberglass mat to go around the edges, and patch up the holes from the inside, then using milkshake to re-seal.

Thoughts?

Archived