LegacyGT.com

Fiberglass Sub-box Walkthrough

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l177/ean611/IMAG0025.jpg

That's what one of my sub boxes looks like post drunk driver.

There are two holes in the mold, and the front is half seperated from the rear. I pulled the carpet to see how much damage there is.

I'm thinking of using fiberglass mat to go around the edges, and patch up the holes from the inside, then using milkshake to re-seal.

Thoughts?

That should work...

How many layers of fiberglass did you originally put on? I had a pair of sub boxes that I had 3 layers on and it withstood a pretty harsh accident with no cracks, holes, etc. Not that every accident is the same or anything, but you might think about re-enforcing the whole inside with another layer of fiberglass.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

The mold is three layers. The mold isn't in bad shape beyond the two holes. For strength, keep in mind I was hit off-center, with the sub box being in the line of fire of the accident.

Well, any repairs require some warmer weather, as I don't think I can mix fiberglass at 35F

Yea, mixing resin needs a bit warmer weather, unless your willing to do it in your garage :) lol

I guess I didnt look at the picture close enough, looked like there was a pretty big crack to me, but it was just an angle.

Patch er up and get it back to thumpin :)

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

executor, it does thump now, i have the other side running, I just want both back

I don't have a garage to work in though, and I think my neighbors wouldn't like it if I used the basement, as that stuff STINKS

Has anyone who's done this notice that the rear doors vibrate after the install? My sub used to face straight back and I had zero vibration issues. Now that it's facing to the side some tones cause the doors to really rattle. My front doors don't seem to do it, guessing it's because there is a bunch of dynomat in there though.

I think I might try this. I have had a sub mounted in my floor for about two years. I was wondering if it would inprove the sound. I have a 10" fosgate sub and a 100w rms mono amp. I have the board sealed with weather stripping. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/175103.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/175200.jpg

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I feel like that idea causes more loss than gain, you lose the spare tire and you also lose basically the whole trunk because you can't put anything in the middle over that speaker. Now that I think about it I'd classify this idea as straight up stupid.

I feel like that idea causes more loss than gain, you lose the spare tire and you also lose basically the whole trunk because you can't put anything in the middle over that speaker. Now that I think about it I'd classify this idea as straight up stupid.

What are you taking about? I still have my spare and plan to keep it. My speaker fits inside the spare. I was going to mold around it. I have a wagon so what am I losing? I still have more space then you. I carried a twin mattress and still clse the rear hatch. I'd classify your answer as straight up stupid.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

In your picture there is no spare tire.

I can see a mattress but really what else could you put on top of that speaker?

You don't see the rim in this picture. It's the round black thing in the bottom. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/175200-1.jpg

oh yea, now I see it, my bad that well looked empty

still wouldn't put anything on top of that speaker

So you were wrong. Know what you are talking about before you start calling people stupid. "newbie"

First off didn't call anyone stupid. I think the idea of putting a speaker in the middle of the trunk is stupid when trying to save space. When the entire point of this thread is about conserving space I feel that taking up the middle of that space with a fragile speaker just doesn't add up.

Let's just say you made a mistake when you said it was a stupid ideal and move on from there. I have a raised steel speaker grill on the false floor I made and speaker is in not danger. Welcome to the site. :)

Moving on then. It all depends on what you're using the trunk space for really. I pile tons of snowboarding gear into my trunk, it was the main reason I wanted to make the fiberglass box. At the end of the day tossing in wet boots and things like that wouldn't fly with a speaker on the floor. Also the dead hookers might leak into it too.

• 3 months later...

I don't have pics of the floating rings. All I can say is the front is fleece covered in fiberglass resin, then "milkshake" (body filler mixed with fiberglass resin plus hardeners).

Here is a sanded pic. not done yet, but it's more smoothed out.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l177/ean611/DSCN0594.jpg

I did this for my sub, a friend helped me out, he was very particular to make sure i didn't know all the tricks he used to make it. I guess job security so that i need him for another job. But i did get his ingrediants with the fiberglass resin and liquid hardner, however what i did not get was what he used for the interior of my sub.

Instead of wood or fiberglass he made a green liquid that he poured into the sub and let harden ... what ever it was it sounds great i just would like to know if anyone knows what the green liquid was!!

Archived