LegacyGT.com

Motorbreath's "The Hard Way" 2010 2.5GT Restore and Build

On 5/25/2023 at 4:26 PM, motorbreath said:

So I was doing some logging to make sure my engine is still running well after about 5k on the new tune. I noticed that I get some random misfire events here and there, sometimes during idle, deceleration, and rarely under load. After reading about how misfires are detected, I suspect it's a combination of older cam position sensors and the lightweight ACT flywheel. I haven't had a knock event in years, so I'm not too concerned... Should I be?

The other thing I noticed is that my reduced boost tune maxes out at 21psi around 4000rpm. The higher boost tune maxes out at 23psi... should I stick with the former for engine longevity? It's way over 18psi so either way I think I'm playing with fire...

My max psi is 20 ish and can go to 21 in the cold, I have been on that for over 6 years. I think the most important thing for longevity besides a bit of luck, is probably allowing the engine to get to operating temperature before throwing boost at it. That way the heads and block heat at the same gradual rate along with the head bolts. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, FLlegacy said:

My max psi is 20 ish and can go to 21 in the cold, I have been on that for over 6 years. I think the most important thing for longevity besides a bit of luck, is probably allowing the engine to get to operating temperature before throwing boost at it. That way the heads and block heat at the same gradual rate along with the head bolts. 

That's encouraging! I am definitely careful with warm-ups, but just out of curiosity, how hard are you on the engine? Are you regularly close or at WOT (on-ramps, passing, etc) or are you only occasionally pushing it?

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/4/2023 at 2:16 PM, motorbreath said:

That's encouraging! I am definitely careful with warm-ups, but just out of curiosity, how hard are you on the engine? Are you regularly close or at WOT (on-ramps, passing, etc) or are you only occasionally pushing it?

I don't do highway pulls for long periods, but my driving is spirited when I am not just driving a mile or two.

• Thanks 1