LegacyGT.com

Motorbreath's "The Hard Way" 2010 2.5GT Restore and Build

Doesn't seem like a bad idea, when you feel the need for more power not only can you move onto your twin scroll kit, but also maybe upgrade to the ej257 STI exhaust cams with the extra lift.

Stock cams would likely hold you back from going any larger than the 18g anyway based on this info:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/5th-gen-gt-power-roadblocks-and-solutions-259192.html

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I stayed-up late Wednesday night and got everything installed. After starting it with the gas pedal all the way down to build oil pressure, it started-up without issues. I am staying out of boost until I get it e-tuned, but everything seems to be working! I'll post pictures of it installed over the weekend.

One last thing I need to figure out, I also have a set of ID1050X injectors with a DW300 fuel pump that I have not installed yet. Until I swap in a hybrid turbo, I am not sure there any benefit to installing these with the stock turbo. While I also have the AEM wide band, not having to deal with it yet by keeping the stock injectors does sound a bit tempting.

Thoughts?

EDIT: After looking at Fahrside's post regarding fifth gen power restrictions, I think I'll hold off on the ID1050X's so that I do not need to bother with the wideband when getting an e-tune:

"2. Stage 2. Blockage point here is the turbo itself. As above, but add a high-flow catted, or catless J-pipe. Now you can raise boost to 18psi peak on pump gas and run leaner AFR and more timing. Note boost still needs to taper at high revs due to the size of the turbo. Stock injectors are adequate for pump gas but I’d back them up with a better fuel pump like a DW200 or a 300 if you think you may go bigger later. On E85 you will want the bigger pump plus 750 or 850cc injectors and again you may go to 1000s to future-proof yourself. 235whp/330wtq is typical."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, there are a few issues with my install of the new turbo assembly:

1) 5 of the 6 exhaust manifold studs came out with the nuts, so instead of replacing them I just reinstalled the exhaust manifold reusing the studs/nuts. I doubt this is the best way to do this, but I did not want to wait the week or so to get new studs and nuts...hopefully this is not a big issue!

2) I did not bother replacing the rusted-out lower heat shield since I have an aluminum skid plate which, essentially, serves the same purpose. However, the upper portion of the heat shield is free to vibrate a little since normally it would be fasted to the lower portion, which I did not replace.

3) There is a significant knocking sound when I am using the clutch at low speeds in first and reverse. It sounds like the exhaust is knocking against something. I suspect that the exhaust is lightly impacting against something near the transmission cross-member. Not sure what to do about this, there is not much room for adjustment due to the larger diameter of the aftermarket exhaust piping.

I forgot to take pictures over the weekend, but I'll definitely post something soon.

• Like 1

Check the bracket where the front of the mid pipe mounts. Its kind of hook shaped to support the weight of the exhaust... I didn't get the bolt tight enough, so it squeaked constantly as they rubbed against each other. Eventually the bolt loosened enough that it fell out and I got that knocking noise as the tab on the exhaust bounced back and forth in the hook of the bracket.

I think the downpipe was very close to the frame rail too and needed to be clocked just right to avoid it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think you're missing one of the turbo shields. This are 4 shields totals, one on the turbo itself, top, middle and lower. The top shield has 2 bolts to the middle and one to the shield.  I don't see the shield around the turbo in your picture. The lower shield which you aren't installing would also tie them all together as well.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of the two shields I installed is not very visible from the picture, but I did not realize there were four shields. From the images on Subaru's parts website I found the following three shields:

44643AA000
44652AA930
16183AA010

I installed the first two with a bracket attached to the turbo to support them. I did not install the one in bold, do you have a part number for the fourth shield that I am missing?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, sorry, I was away for over a week and am still trying to get my head above water at work. I totally missed that fourth heat shield and need to order/install it. I am hoping that this will not require dropping the turbo, hopefully just the turbo sump/oil pan. It really stinks that I missed this!

All of that being said, still need to fiddle with the exhaust to hopefully get rid of some knocking in first+reverse gear, but I am in the process of getting an open-source tune from Shinji Tuned. He sent me a base map, but I need to install the 3-port boost control solenoid before I start logging.

If you are doing a header/turbo and you are not super-mechanically inclined (like me), be prepared for a bit of a challenge and invest in a MAPP torch kit!

I still can not find a header anywhere, i'm going to send my turbo out to BNR. Shinji is a good dude he did the tune on my car currently and was great with support and updating the maps. I did a dyno tune and then he had me send him flight recordings and adjusted the tune from there. The search continues for the header lol

1 hour ago, hatchd said:

I'm looking for an aftermarket header to upgrade, the autoart seems super sketchy lol they have 4 products listed on the site so i will keep looking thank you though

Lol, the site maybe sketchy but the dude running it has been on the forums and with the 5th gen family forever. If you are on facebook there is a group of us 5th gen legacy owners and another specific to the 5th gen GT. His name is Luis Segarra Jr. his member name is @RikGT I think. He had a header made for our cars earlier this year and may still have a couple in stock, it is the only aftermarket header available that I am aware of.

Edited by FLlegacy

1 minute ago, FLlegacy said:

Lol, the site maybe sketchy but the dude running it has been on the forums and with the 5th gen family forever. If you are on facebook there is a group of us 5th gen legacy owners and another specific to the 5th gen GT. His name is Luis Segarra Jr. his member name is RikGT I think. He had a header made for our cars earlier this year and may still have a couple in stock, it is the only aftermarket header available that I am aware of.

oh sweet thank you, do you know the facebook group i will check it out and send him a message to see what he has, i also noticed a motor mount kit i would be interested in since he is legit lol

So I took it out for one last drive before I install the 3-port BCS and start the e-tune with the basemap provided by Shinji Tuned. The knocking I'm getting in first/reverse is definitely the aftermarket exhaust, but has almost gone away after 30 minutes of driving. I was careful to not push it too hard since it is likely running lean with the stock tune, but oh man, it drives and sounds GREAT. It took all of the will power I had not to open it up, the aftermarket j-pipe really changes the exhaust sound and the new-to-me stock turbo is definitely in better condition than the original that I pulled out.

I was going to send the original turbo to BNR over the winter so I can install it along with the upgraded fuel pump and injectors next year. I am not sure if that will work, though, since the original manifold, turbo, and j-pipe are completely rusted together. I'll need to look for another VF54 turbo which will be a project for next year...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hatchd said:

I still can not find a header anywhere, i'm going to send my turbo out to BNR. Shinji is a good dude he did the tune on my car currently and was great with support and updating the maps. I did a dyno tune and then he had me send him flight recordings and adjusted the tune from there. The search continues for the header lol

Are you going with the 16G or 20G? Last time I spoke to BNR they said they no longer do the 18G, which is a bit disappointing.

48 minutes ago, motorbreath said:

Are you going with the 16G or 20G? Last time I spoke to BNR they said they no longer do the 18G, which is a bit disappointing.

I am cautious of BNR there has been some rumors of failures involving their turbos. It may be one of those rumors without a lot of credibility but I would be careful just the same. 

8 hours ago, FLlegacy said:

I am cautious of BNR there has been some rumors of failures involving their turbos. It may be one of those rumors without a lot of credibility but I would be careful just the same. 

I have heard a few stories that seem legit, but I think BNR has done the vast majority of the hybrid VF54s that are mentioned on the forum, so I will likely risk it IF I ever actually do this in the first place. See the next post :)

• Like 1

Lest anyone doubt the appropriateness of the title of this thread, the bracket holding the stock BCS is absolutely rusted to sh*t and I cannot get the two screws out with reasonable effort.

I had the bright idea of trying to remove the stock BCS from its bracket to get better access to the screws...so now with that destroyed I have bricked my car again. My plan tomorrow is to continue to try to destructively remove the stock BCS, remove it, and split the remaining part of the bracket in half. This might allow me to rotate each half. With the screws rust-welded in place, that should screw them out (I hope).

Otherwise I am looking at a $150+ part and at least a few weeks wait time, based on past experience.

PXL_20220814_010645169.jpg

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, motorbreath said:

Lest anyone doubt the appropriateness of the title of this thread, the bracket holding the stock BCS is absolutely rusted to sh*t and I cannot get the two screws out with reasonable effort.

I had the bright idea of trying to remove the stock BCS from its bracket to get better access to the screws...so now with that destroyed I have bricked my car again. My plan tomorrow is to continue to try to destructively remove the stock BCS, remove it, and split the remaining part of the bracket in half. This might allow me to rotate each half. With the screws rust-welded in place, that should screw them out (I hope).

Otherwise I am looking at a $150+ part and at least a few weeks wait time, based on past experience.

PXL_20220814_010645169.jpg

I may still have my stock bcs and bracket, and I definitely have a turbo inlet if you need it. I will check tonight, they are yours for the shipping cost if you want them.

• Thanks 2