LegacyGT.com

Internal wastegate noise

I'm wondering if it is normal to hear a internal wastegate. I've just noticed that I can slightly hear my internal wastegate when I ease into boost from 2500 rpm. Im pretty sure its not compressor surge because the car pulls the same and my boost graphs are rock solid. The only thing I changed with my tune recently is lower the boost and put a grimmspeed tmic on. Im thinking I am hearing it more now because it's working to bleed of pressure to keep boost at my new lower target. It sounds like an external wastegate just very quiet. I have to listen for it with radio off on a perfectly smooth road. Im just wondering if this is normal or if I should be looking into fixing something.

Its got a catless 3 inch downpipe with stock catback by the way.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G770U1 using Tapatalk

look up fluttering. should find a solution
Its not fluttering, I hear it when I'm going into boost not closing the throttle. Im 99% sure it is the wastegate that im hearing i just want to know if it is normal to hear my wastegate working like that. I've never heard of being able to hear an internal wastegate.

Boxkita isn't wrong and there are 2 types of fluttering, wastegate & compressor surge. Sound like the noise in the vid but not as loud? If so, it's wastegate flutter. I can hear my wastegate fluttering on my stock VF40 after some mods and tune. It's normal.

Boxkita isn't wrong and there are 2 types of fluttering, wastegate & compressor surge. Sound like the noise in the vid but not as loud? If so, it's wastegate flutter. I can hear my wastegate fluttering on my stock VF40 after some mods and tune. It's normal.

Yeah thats the sound, just alot quieter. Glad its normal

WG actuator could be failing. I've seen more than one fail.

Sorry for the dumb question, but when my turbo was replaced with a rebuilt IHI one before I owned the car, was a new wastegate actuator included? Or is this something I should have replaced by now at 215K?

Sorry for the dumb question, but when my turbo was replaced with a rebuilt IHI one before I owned the car, was a new wastegate actuator included? Or is this something I should have replaced by now at 215K?
It most likely came on the new turbo.

If it's working, then it's fine. Sometimes they fail. You'll know it by the sound and lack of boost if it fails, but generally, they last a long time. I check every one with a MityVac and I rarely find one that's NG but it can happen.