LegacyGT.com

A/S 18" tires for New England? Michelin Cross Climate "SUV"?

My wife's 2019 Legacy Limited (225/50R18) still has the Goodyear stock tires, which from what I understand, are very poor in snow. We're in New England so this is a concern.

In searching through TireRack, Town Fair Tire, and other sites, it seems like the "Michelin Cross Climate SUV" is compatible. The tire specs measure at 225/50R18XL (note the XL). Is that accurate that SUV XL tires are compatible? Are there any downsides?

More importantly, what other tires would you recommend? We value both road noise/comfort as well as safety in dry, wet, and snow. She doesn't really need sporty or performance oriented.

• The Bridgestone Turanza Quettrack gets high ratings on TireRack but it's Out of Stock everywhere (and has been for quite some time). It gets ridiculously good scores for ride noise, comfort, and traction in all conditions.
  • The Vredstein Quatrac Pro is the 3rd highest consumer rated grand touring tire on TireRack, but it's also Out of Stock until January. This has the 3 peaks on it.
  • I hear people rave about Michelin's Cross Climate 2, but that doesn't seem available. Only the Cross Climate "SUV" is available. This also has the 3 peaks on it, but is rated to be the least effective with road noise and comfort compared to the other two.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Comp625

• 4 weeks later...

Have you talked to one of the rep's at Tirerack ? They will recommend the Conti Cross-Contact. Most of us Legacy GT guys have been running the Conti' DWS for years.

I do have the WS80's for both my GT wagon and Spec B for Winter. but that is because I ski, these cars have high HP.

Having said that, the 05 GT was the first car I put snow tires in many years. Back in the 90's I just ran Michelin MXV4's all year round on the 1992 Honda Civic and even on the 98'GT wagon and 00' GT wagons.

These cars are great in the snow. A good all season will be all most people need.

I have a store from about Feb. 2001 when we walked out of the house in VT on a Sunday to drive back to CT. We had to slide on the ice across the driveway to the car. We rove about a mile and hit traffic, turned around went back to the house, waited about 2 hours. The next time there was less traffic, about 5PM. the roads were bad, ice covered snow. At times I could feel the car searching for traction. we made the 140 drive home without issue.

I have a number of Winter driving stories with these cars. Been skiing most ever winter weekend since the mid 1990's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I drove my CrossClimate SUV's for the first time today in a Lexus RX450h, I think they do better in the snow than my old Continental DWS's in the Legacy - I don't know how the DWS 06's fare. The CrossClimate, being an A/S, does not brake as well as the Blizzak W965's I have on my Suburban for plow duty, but I was zooming by many trucks on in the Lexus today. It's pretty good winter performance for an A/S. I agree with Max that dedicated snows are not a necessity unless you live in areas that won't get plowed for days.

If you're not in a rush and are willing to wait, I think any of the tires you mentioned are good. The Vredstein's are pretty well reviewed. As far as XL compatibility you might wanna call Michelin directly, their customer service is pretty good.

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread