LegacyGT.com

09 2.5i Swap w/ Outback XT

Hey everyone,

I'm not sure if there is already a thread pertaining to this, but from what I could find through the search, nothing was specific enough.

Simply put, I'm trying to swap a turbo EJ into my 2009 2.5i Legacy. I found a complete 2005 Outback XT with potential to be a donor vehicle. Is this something that is possible? Will transmissions need to be swapped as well or will I be able to use my existing 5MT in the Legacy (the Outback is auto)?

Thanks in advance!

Do able? Of course but it’s time assuming for sure. Engine will swap right over okay easy part is done.

Now you have to swap every single wire harness from the outback into your legacy. There might be slight differences in the trunk lights third brake light moon roof stuff like that. But the front of the car will work 100%

For whatever doesn’t work in the rear will just need to be repinned. And yes you need the rear half of the wiring harnesses can’t skip it and use your existing. We have a fuel pump module in the trunk. The 2.5i does not have one back there. (Ask me how I know lol)

Now for the transmission it’s going to be an automatic ecu so the 5eat more than likely will have to be swapped over to. If you want to keep the manual(if it’s the same as the gt manual I’m not sure) you would need a manual ecu and front wiring harness.

You will need to swap the entire car's wiring harness, under the dash, engine harness and so on with all computer modules and related components, gauge cluster, keys, etc. Then the transmission, engine and related parts.

If you need to smog the car, the VIN number in the ECU will need to be reprogrammed. If you decide to go the dealer route, you will need to purchase a new BIU, or get very creative with eprom programming.

All it takes is tons of money and time...oh yea and know how.

No one in there right mind will tell you this is something that is done all the time...that's because its not worth it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I didn't keep my notes, but when I was looking for a gen 4 Legacy or Outback I was having a hard time finding a manual turbo example of either in reasonable shape for reasonable cost. So, I considered the possibility of an auto to manual swap, or a NA to turbo swap. There are discussions on both swaps. I concluded that neither was worth pursuing, although in at least the case of the transmissions, it had been done. The info is here in the forum, but it's up to you to decide how much effort you're willing to exert.

All it takes is tons of money and time...oh yea and know how.

No one in there right mind will tell you this is something that is done all the time...that's because its not worth it.

I wouldn’t say a lot of money I got everything need for auto to manual for 800 bucks then I needed a clutch went with spec 2+. So 1400 isn’t chump change but I wouldn’t say it’s extremely expensive when it comes to modifying cars.

But yes you do need time. A lot of it the engine and the tranny is the easiest part to swap the wiring is what is annoying and frustrating.

And yes on the know how. If you can do simple stuff this isn’t the right job for you. And if you take it to the shop. Well honestly just forget the idea because they would want more than it’s worth.

I did an auto to manual swap. While I had a good time doing it and I think it made my car more fun to drive. I will honestly saw it was not worth it as it was my daily driver.

I wouldn’t say a lot of money I got everything need for auto to manual for 800 bucks then I needed a clutch went with spec 2+. So 1400 isn’t chump change but I wouldn’t say it’s extremely expensive when it comes to modifying cars.

But yes you do need time. A lot of it the engine and the tranny is the easiest part to swap the wiring is what is annoying and frustrating.

And yes on the know how. If you can do simple stuff this isn’t the right job for you. And if you take it to the shop. Well honestly just forget the idea because they would want more than it’s worth.

I did an auto to manual swap. While I had a good time doing it and I think it made my car more fun to drive. I will honestly saw it was not worth it as it was my daily driver.

Depending on how much you value your time. If your own labor is free then it’s no biggie, but time is money and your own labor IS worth something and once you factor that in to this equation it won’t be cheap

It is much easier to find an OBXT and just start with that. A friend of mine did the whole swap and his car has never worked correctly (check engine lights that don't relate to anything, random electronics being weird, passing smog, etc) and it just isn't worth the time. He could have bought a plane ticket to Oregon/Washington, found a clean OBXT, and driven it home for a lot less time and hassle.

OP has a 2.5i Legacy 5MT. By that point there was no Legacy wagon, so it's a sedan. He wants to swap a turbo engine into it. One he has access to is in 4EAT OBXT.

I agree that the best path for most people is to find a car equipped the way they want it. I came to the same conclusion, waited a little longer and looked further away and ended up having my car shipped to me after a remote transaction.

OP would like to keep the car he has, which is of course possible, given enough money and trouble. But for most people it's too much money and too much trouble compared to finding an acceptable car.

just find a manual turbo legacy with blown engine and use the good engine from the OBXT, no VIN number or wiring issues.

if you really want to use the 09 NA 5MT chassis, and keep it manual you will need a manual donor car to extract the ECU and all related electronics from. Keep in mind that after the ECU swap the VIN in the ECU will not match the car, so you will have to address that before you smog it.

wow that is a lot of feedback waiting for a new member

but anyway manual swaps are easy; just need a manual version of ecu for the new engine. from what i have heard, the ecu doesn't even need to be from an ej, as i know someone who did a drop in replacement with a fa20 on a 2014 wrx

wow that is a lot of feedback waiting for a new member

but anyway manual swaps are easy; just need a manual version of ecu for the new engine. from what i have heard, the ecu doesn't even need to be from an ej, as i know someone who did a drop in replacement with a fa20 on a 2014 wrx

I'd like to hear more info on this. What chassis was the engine installed in, which ECU?

it was station wagon chassis with standard 6sp manual, but chassis probably doesn't matter; it is possible the old harness was also swapped over, but the original ecu was retained. now that i think about it it is possible he swapped over some sensors, but i was mostly attentive to cross member compatibility between fa/fb and ej, which in a nutshell retains all compatiblity across all models with the exception of 5th gen legacy ejs due to the oil pan (actually not sure of legacy fb versions, but all impreza/crosstrek/forester fbs seem to retain)

i would normally raise a question to due 25 vs 20 displacement, but possibly ecu is blind to it

Edited by darthqwo

it was station wagon chassis with standard 6sp manual, but chassis probably doesn't matter; it is possible the old harness was also swapped over, but the original ecu was retained. now that i think about it it is possible he swapped over some sensors, but i was mostly attentive to cross member compatibility between fa/fb and ej, which in a nutshell retains all compatiblity across all models with the exception of 5th gen legacy ejs due to the oil pan (actually not sure of legacy fb versions, but all impreza/crosstrek/forester fbs seem to retain)

i would normally raise a question to due 25 vs 20 displacement, but possibly ecu is blind to it

BL/BP ECU is not capable of running the FA/FB engine. At minimum, the main wiring harness, ECU, BIU, gauge cluster and keys had to be swapped over...

The engine mounting / cross member is the easy part. The issue is the electronics and wiring.

Edited by leetdrv

ecu is specific motor not to chassis, but seeing the biu and keys weren't probably swapped probably it was prob original ecu. this topic was covered sort of recently in one of the threads, but that concerned an ecu being blind to sohc vs dohc

it is capable, and it was said crank blew through, but it was also boosted to 45 pounds

i can give you his number and shop address if you don't believe me, but he doesn't seem the type to fiddle with keys, clusters, and biu...

Edited by darthqwo

ecu is specific motor not to chassis, but seeing the biu and keys weren't probably swapped probably it was prob original ecu. this topic was covered sort of recently in one of the threads, but that concerned an ecu being blind to sohc vs dohc

IIRC The SOHC vs DOHC was using 2.5i EJ253 and 2.5i FB25 that is lot different than what is being discuss here, I think that was also more of theoretical discussion.

Wow, thank you all for the insight. I do wish to keep the 09 platform, but I hate dealing with old wiring as I live in upstate NY and every experience I've had with wires and electronics has been negative haha. Other than that I don't value my time much (lol), but it sounds like I risk botching a lot on the 09 potentially totaling it without even driving it. I am intrigued by this idea of swapping the OBXT motor into a manual LGT that's blown. Leetdrv, can you elaborate on that a bit more? The engine (and just the engine and accessories) only needs to be swapped over without having to worry about all of the sensors, wiring, etc?

OBXT same motor as a LGT. So just the engine and your done.

Typically there's a catch with news like this. I'm waiting for the but... haha

no catch. same engine, same everything. as long as 5mt ej25 to 5mt ej25. as soon as you add an automatic into the mix: problems. Turbo vs non-turbo: bigger problems. ej25 vs fa/fb: you need to be a shop being paid or tax writeoff.

keep in mind, all the swapping mentioned above was easy (besides ej to ej), alot more ppl would be doing it. Resale value will be zero. No one will want it, except to strip it for parts

I am intrigued by this idea of swapping the OBXT motor into a manual LGT that's blown. Leetdrv, can you elaborate on that a bit more?

There is no catch. The engine and all accessories are identical between the 5EAT OBTX and Manual LGT, only difference is the wiring harness under the intake manifold, cuz the AT wiring has different plugs for the transmission.

The wiring harness is somewhat attached to the manifold and its easiest to keep them together. You will be installing the LGT wiring + manifold onto the OBXT engine. The other parts you will need from the LGT is the flywheel and clutch. That's it. Very easy swap.