LegacyGT.com

Tire Dilemma

dark_templer_102

Did I spell "dilemma" right?

Anyway, I want to change out the Stock RE92s (duh..). I've been reading TireRack and compareasions and blah blah. I'm not sure too get Performace All-Season or Summers. I don't have the money to swap them around when its winter then summer.

I live in Georgia, and frankly, its really random if it snows or ices over. Some winters it doesn't freeze at all, some times it freezes often and snows a little. Usually school is closed, but there have been times when my school stayed open -_-; I mean would driving summers totally fuck me over on some thin ice going..i dunno.. 30 mph?

But sometimes you get heavy rain that Summers aren't good for.

Actually most summer performance tires are excellent in the wet and I think you could even get by with them in the winter in Georgia. I got by for a full winter in New Hampshire with Dunlop summer performance tires on my Audi. You just need to drive carefully when conditions warrant, which you should do anyway.

But that's not to say I'd recommend summer performance tires year round. I'd go with something like the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. Another good A/S tire is the Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Asymetrical. I had a set of those on my WRX and they were just fine in the winter in Ohio.

I agree with all the responses here. I have a set of the Dunlop SP5000s on my WRX and they are great all season tires, unfortunately they don't come in the 215/45-17 size.

I would look into the Pzero Neros. :)

I had a 1964 Volkswagon Beetle at Ft Benning for 15 months {I'm old but it was already almost 20 yo). The one time it snowed I drove out nearly 10 miles on range roads on the stock 155x15 radials to fetch some guys on guard duty. It was pretty comical because none of the locals would drive. The Company Commander was from Buffalo and he was greatly amused as well.

So unless you live in Dahlonega [been there] or someplace else in the mountains, the Summer tires should be fine. You don't mention what model you have but if it's a plain ole Subaru instead of a fast one, some of the All Seasons have really long tread life.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

i wouldn't drive summer tires below 40 degrees or so if possible, much less over snow and ice.

I run summers until I see 1" snow.. and yes, I am that crazy.. I run even with some frost on the ground.. as long as you know how to drive the car, you should be fine for the once in a while snow dusting or some grass frost.

Keefe

• 3 months later...

It's highly variable. Some A/S have treadwear grades of 400 or higher - some as high as 700. Most performance tires have grades of 180 - 260. The goodyear Eagle F1 G3 seems to be a top choice, for example, and has a 260. That's the same as the Bridgestone, which seem to last 20K miles or so.

One variable is how far you wear them down. I replace tires with 5/32nds tread as hydroplaning resistance is dramatically lower. But I know others who will drive them down to the wear bars, especially in Summer.

I'm keeping my RE92A's this summer for the simple reason that I tried to sell them for $30 each and had no takers. So I'll get a season of use out of them, which I figure is worth $150- 200

Who Dares Wins

スバル

• 2 weeks later...

Alright guys, i'm going with grip. I've researched the Eagle F1 and they seem really good, but i've read the EVO guys do not like the tires at all, one reason is the soft sidewall....

Assuming Evo should be somewhat like Legacy as in AWD (well...they just both have AWD lets go with that) should I still buy the F1s?

The evo comes stock with some pretty stiff tires, so the GSD3 probably feels soft in comparison.

From what I’ve read, the GSD3 has: great grip in the dry and wet, soft ride, low noise, and good treadwear.

Only problem is they’re not quite as responsive as other summer tires with a stiffer sidewall. The GSD3’s will be MUCH better than your current tires.

Did you check out the Falken Fk451? Similar to the GSD3, but with a stiffer sidewall. Or you could wait around for another month or so until the next generation, the FK452 comes out. http://www.fk452.com/sizes.html

The GSD3’s will be MUCH better than your current tires.

+1 to that. the RE92s feel like you're riding on gummy worms. i went with 225/45/17 eagle F1 which have a taller sidewall and a slight sidewall bulge. but they're still wayyyyyyyyy better than the RE92s. it was only 28 degrees this morning, way outside of their intended temp range, and they still have better traction than the RE92s.

_MG_5313.jpg.85ade061c5513e82adda4178bc2bfcf9.jpg

I've been running Khumo Supra 712's and I like 'em alot. A little noisy at times, but I can deal with that. I even ran them in 4" of snow though the front end would washout if I was on it a little too much in the turns. Dry/Wet traction is very good, s**t we got AWD. However, I plowed snow for 7+ years and around here within a few hours roads are shlush. I'd say get some kind of hp summer tires and enjoy.

Get the Eagles if you like them. People always complain about soft sidewalls but they have no idea what that translates to or what it means. It could just be their bad driving but they'll say oh it was the soft side walls boo hoo :icon_tong

Eagle F1, ContiExtremes and Dunlop SP5000's have so called soft side walls but they provide great ride and the walls are predictable on hard cornering. They lock in on the corners with no problem.

If the tires you want are not available in 215/45... try 225/45.
"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

But sometimes you get heavy rain that Summers aren't good for. Get Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S for all year round.

+1, love the p-zero m+s

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

With you living in GA....

You need a great dry & wet performance tire.....

1. Toyo T1R

2. Goodyear F1

Both are very good tires...Both about the same price......I went with the T1R for the sidewall stiffness:)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

the kdw2 should be thrown in with the 2 above imo although it is noisier. stiffer sidewalls although most daily drivers wouldn't need or necessarily want that. the kdw2 should outlast either of those 2 as well. falls slightly below the gsd3 in magazine tests, but lasts longer and is less expensive.

I agree with all the responses here. I have a set of the Dunlop SP5000s on my WRX and they are great all season tires, unfortunately they don't come in the 215/45-17 size.

I would look into the Pzero Neros. :)

If it is true please tell me what is this?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?width=215%2F&ratio=45&diameter=17&sortCode=49500&minSpeedRating=H&ratio=45&width=215%2F&diameter=17&minLoad=S&vehicleSearch=true&startIndex=0&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&performance=UHPAS&manufacturer=Dunlop&speed_rating=HR&speed_rating=VR&speed_rating=ZR&speed_rating=WR&speed_rating=YR&RunFlat=All&x=32&y=3

Archived