LegacyGT.com

Squeak When Clutch is Released

So I recently put my new built motor in my 2005 Subaru Outback XT. I've been working out the kinks as I tune/break in the clutch. I've got all the kinks worked out except one minor one. When I have the car in neutral with the clutch pedal out I can hear a squeak. When I press it in I don't hear it, if I just push the pedal down a little bit it stops squeaking. This would make me think the problem is the throw out bearing, but it has a brand new lightweight flywheel, and spec stage 2 plus clutch which came with a brand new throw out bearing. Could I have gotten a dud throw out bearing or is it something with the adjustment or flywheel clutch combo?

The only time the throw out bearing is engaged is when you press in the clutch. You're describing the opposite. So not the throw out bearing.

Could be a number of things. Does it change with rpm? You say it's only in neutral? Does it change if you're in neutral and rolling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only time the throw out bearing is engaged is when you press in the clutch. You're describing the opposite. So not the throw out bearing.

Could be a number of things. Does it change with rpm? You say it's only in neutral? Does it change if you're in neutral and rolling?

It doesn't change with rpm, I can hear it when I'm sitting idling in neutral as well as if the clutch is all the way out and cruising in first gear. The car only has 150 miles on it so I'm wondering if it may have something to do with that and will go away as the clutch breaks in. I know that the throw out bearing is not engaged when the clutch is out, but as soon as I press the pedal down a little and the throw out bearing comes in contact with the pressure plate forks it stops squeaking

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Following this as I also have the same issue......at neutral or low rpm I can hear the squeak, as soon as I touch the clutch pedal it goes away. However this is not constant, at times I can drive a whole bunch without hearing anything.

At higher rpm I don't hear it....unless its just to high pitch of a noise or other things such as my exhaust is drowning the noise.

Its been like that for 1yr now, for the most part everything else seems to be just fine....in reading some previous post some had said it could be the Output or Input shaft?

Any other reasons this can happen.....could the slave have anything to do with it?

I have a new Spec 2+ my third one and its fine like all the other ones.

Think about what is spinning when your at idle and in neutral with the clutch out.

Just the crank shaft, FW, disc, pressure plate and Pilot bearing and input shaft.

Push in the clutch and the disc and input shaft should stop. The TOB, FW, PP and Pilot bearing will be spinning. Right ?

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

just because i have to ask;

you've checked that the noise is coming from the transmission and not just where the pedal is mounted under the dash?

or some short of linkage rubbing?

Its definitely coming from the transmission. With the hood open I can hear the sound coming from underneath the intercooler, I believe at one point I also heard it under the car as well.

Following this as I also have the same issue......at neutral or low rpm I can hear the squeak, as soon as I touch the clutch pedal it goes away. However this is not constant, at times I can drive a whole bunch without hearing anything.

At higher rpm I don't hear it....unless its just to high pitch of a noise or other things such as my exhaust is drowning the noise.

Its been like that for 1yr now, for the most part everything else seems to be just fine....in reading some previous post some had said it could be the Output or Input shaft?

Any other reasons this can happen.....could the slave have anything to do with it?

This is exactly what i am expeirencing, good to hear it hasnt caused any major issues. I dont think it is the input shaft because i checked for play when i had the engine out and everything seemed good. plus it didnt make any noise with the old engine, so it must be related to something new, not the transmission. Its not that big of a deal i just dont like people looking at me like my car is a broken POS.

I did a little searching yesterday and the 1st thing recommended to check is the fluid level....if its too low it would cause this to happen.

In my case everything was changed last year: clutch/pp,fw,both bearings and new fluid.

I remember checking the fluid level last year and it seemed over.....does anyone know if too much fluid could also cause the noise?

I used Lucas Transmission oil, should I have gone with something else?

I wonder if somehow the TOB is being spun. Yet once you load it by pushing in the clutch, that would make it work and may be stop the noise because of the full force applied ?

May be adjust the pedal so there is a little more play at the top...?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I wonder if somehow the TOB is being spun. Yet once you load it by pushing in the clutch, that would make it work and may be stop the noise because of the full force applied ?

May be adjust the pedal so there is a little more play at the top...?

I was kind of thinking it may be an adjustment thing, but if I were to adjust it then the tob would always be spinning and would go bad sooner. if i had to guess why it is squeaking i would say i maybe should have lightly greased the id of the tob or the input shaft. I think the tob when not loaded is vibrating and is bouncing around on the input shaft causing the squeak. idk if grasping the input shaft is part of the install process, but I don't believe I did.

Greasing that shaft/snout is something we recommend doing, a light coat of wheel bearing grease works well.

Greasing that shaft/snout is something we recommend doing, a light coat of wheel bearing grease works well.
So at this point it's probably not worth it to drop the transmission to grease it, if it doesn't seem like it's going to cause any long term issues. Maybe it just needs a little clutch dust in there to quite things up [emoji16].

Of topic, but how long do the spec stage 2 plus clutches last?

Browsing around and ran across this thread. 3rd post explains TOB noise and a fix.

If you haven't ran across this yet.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/spec-stage-2-clutch-pack-and-lwfw-review-78095.html?highlight=tob+fork

I haven't seen that before. I tried pushing on the clutch fork and the sound went away so I got some springs and I'm going to make a bracket tomorrow. I'll let y'all know how it goes

Funny what we can learn years later.....10yrs+ with this car and never heard/saw this "mod" before....i'll also will be looking into this!

Funny thing is I only found out because I was thinking about how I wanted a slightly lighter flywheel and was curious about the spec flywheel weight compared to the wrx smfw.

Funny thing is I only found out because I was thinking about how I wanted a slightly lighter flywheel and was curious about the spec flywheel weight compared to the wrx smfw.

I have the act streetlight flywheel which is 13lbs and so far I really like it. It's alot cheaper than the spec flywheel, but you need to use a wrx clutch with it. I don't know what the weight of the spec is but I have a grimmspeed lightweight pulley so no damper up front my engine is blueprint balanced within half a gram and it's super smooth and I haven't gotten any codes relating to engine harmonics. I read that 13 lbs is the lightest you can go with a non dampend pulley. So far I'm really happy with it, downshifts are butter smooth revs quick. I'll let you know how it is when I can go full send with the car [emoji23]

I think the Spec LWFW was 17lbs. I seem to recall that number from years ago. It did seem quite a bit lighter then the OEM steel smfw.

If you'd like I can ask one of the guys at Spec what the LWFW weigh's.

I'll go weigh the OEM steel SMFW. it's 24lbs.

The Spec Friction surface is 1.5lbs for the LWFW.

Found it, Weight:14.800 lbs. From Summitracing.com. I asked google what the weight of the Spec SU25A was.

I also emailed a contact at Spec.

FWIW, Summit has lower prices but a longer time to ship the part. This one would ship Aug 14th.

Edited by Max Capacity

Sweet that's all awesome info. I figured out my driveline thumping was because I wasn't waiting long enough to shift and causing driveline shock. Nothing I need right now but down the road.

The spring trick seems to work, I got a set of assorted throttle return springs from O'Rileys. And some 3/4" by 1/8" aluminum bar. No more squeak and the spring hasn't fallen off yet [emoji23].

I did have to adjust the clutch though because it had alot of free play after installing the spring. It wasn't to hard I just had to remove the pedal cover and unplug the gas pedal, then I could fit a stuby 12mm in there to break loose the jam nut.

I feel so much better now that my car doesn't sound like a POS at stoplights.04140df6b3b4e25f80ab94ec9bfa2fad.jpg

• 10 months later...
The spring trick seems to work, I got a set of assorted throttle return springs from O'Rileys. And some 3/4" by 1/8" aluminum bar. No more squeak and the spring hasn't fallen off yet [emoji23].

I did have to adjust the clutch though because it had alot of free play after installing the spring. It wasn't to hard I just had to remove the pedal cover and unplug the gas pedal, then I could fit a stuby 12mm in there to break loose the jam nut.

I feel so much better now that my car doesn't sound like a POS at stoplights.04140df6b3b4e25f80ab94ec9bfa2fad.jpg

Hey,

Following up on this....haven't got to it yet myself (will try this weekend time permitting) and wondering if everything is still #1 ?

Did you take any pics while doing the install, any recommendations?

thanks