LegacyGT.com

Driveshaft or Propeller Shaft Donut disentegrated

So when driving today, something sounded horrible right under the storage cubby between the front seats. Almost like I was going over a rumble strip. Or, like a small safety cone got lodged under the car. I pulled over, but was in a really bad spot on the freeway. So, I kept going down the freeway, limping with the hazards on. Long story short, the noise got better, and eventually went away. When I got home however, and looking under the car, the rubber driveshaft donut right under the catalytic was completely destroyed. Since the exhaust is in the way, along with the heat shield, I couldn't get a proper picture. But I got one good enough until I can start taking it apart tomorrow to asses the damage.

Now, where do I go from here? Are these parts replaceable, or do I have to buy the whole propeller shaft? I can't even see where I can drop the exhaust from. Any help would be great. The P.O.(my bro) said he never had to fix that. Meaning it's original with 238,000 miles. Probably due for an explosion of sorts. Here's a blurry pic, I should be able to get better evidence tomorrow.

IMG_0490.thumb.jpg.b42b3e7c41f12148d2a7ce27f9e0a2e5.jpg

Ok, good to know the entire deal is toast. Now my questions are: Should I get this aftermarket one?

https://driveshaftstore.com/index.php/2005-subaru-legacy-driveshaft-21256.html

Or stick with the Subaru dealership shaft? Also, is this something I can do myself? I'm fairly capable, but I'm unsure if it needs alignment marks and how you would even do that? Or is it just, bolt up and go?

Ok, good to know the entire deal is toast. Now my questions are: Should I get this aftermarket one?

https://driveshaftstore.com/index.php/2005-subaru-legacy-driveshaft-21256.html

Or stick with the Subaru dealership shaft? Also, is this something I can do myself? I'm fairly capable, but I'm unsure if it needs alignment marks and how you would even do that? Or is it just, bolt up and go?

I would get that one. It's really easy to replace. Four bolts at the rear and then it slides out. You might even get away without removing the exhaust but it's way easier if you remove the exhaust.

Did you have issues with shifting smoothly, engaging from a stop smoothly, etc with your car before your driveshaft failed in the fashion it did? I've thought that my driveshaft has been making more noise than it should be for awhile, and it sometimes kicks you rear a little when you get back on the throttle after a gear change.

Did you have issues with shifting smoothly, engaging from a stop smoothly, etc with your car before your driveshaft failed in the fashion it did? I've thought that my driveshaft has been making more noise than it should be for awhile, and it sometimes kicks you rear a little when you get back on the throttle after a gear change.

It's possible notchy shifting has been like that for a while, and I just haven't noticed it. I bought the car about 30,000 miles ago. For me, what you described went away when I did a pitch stop(dogbone) upgrade. Since then, I've upgraded to group N motor mounts and that "kick" you described went away even more.

What I have been noticing is a little grind when quickly shifting to 4th, that went away a little when I removed a few of the spacers the PO put at the bottom of the clutch pedal's travel to adjust the clutch a bit to his liking. Might have been related, might not.

But for history's sake, one day I remember being on the freeway and hitting a bump, and something completely shattered from under the car and went jettison behind me. Almost like I hit a plastic part from my belly pan, and it went everywhere. I thought that was odd, and I didn't know if I ran over something or if it was actually from my car. So, I just kind of ignored it when I thought nothing was visually wrong. It's possible something broke then, and I've been driving around on it oblivious.

Come to think of it, the 4th gear weirdness started after that. Anyways, as far as obvious signs, yesterday, I just heard a loud "bang!" And then, almost like hitting a giant rumble strip, which got slower the more I decreased my velocity. The armrest cubby was going crazy.(up down/up down) So, I pulled over and limped a little but the noise went away completely, eventually. So I was able to drive home. The drive shaft must have disconnected completely from the rear of the car, and I must have been in FWD mode.

Hmm, I've got all the hardened shift and engine-related things. Mine just kind of takes a little extra time to get back on the throttle after you've pressed it, and then feels like the trans kicks you in the butt. Little strange. I may need to drive a more modern STi or something to feel if that's "normal." But almost every other manual car I've driven feels less clunky.

The armrest cubby was going crazy.(up down/up down)

That was the hint, the carrier bearing was having issues.

When mine was going bad, I could feel it in my right elbow as it sat on the console arm rest.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yeah the hint and the outcome weren't too far off. It's kind of an "oh crap!" moment where you just need to retire the car as quickly as possible and call for a tow. Stupidly, I kept driving it at a limp. I hope I didn't damage anything else. Don't do what I did.

Have you ordered one from The Driveshaft Store yet ?

Be careful not to over tighten the four small bolts.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• 4 weeks later...
Yes, and it should arrive today. I also ordered new bolts from Subaru.

Mine comes tomorrow :-D

Have you guy's installed the shafts yet ?

I have almost 700 miles on mine now. It's been great.

Have you guy's installed the shafts yet ?

I have almost 700 miles on mine now. It's been great.

I installed my a couple hundred miles ago.

Found out that my 210k OEM shaft had really notchy u-joints.

Overall it's definitely better, the only concern I have at the moment is an increased vibration at 50-60mph.

I'm going to try to reset the connection to the rear diff just to double check.

It's not huge, just wasn't there with the OEM driveshaft.

I don't have any different noises. I have had the wagon under full boost doing a 3rd gear pull up a long hill on the highway Aug 10th in 95F heat. Everything worked great, including the recently rebuilt 5mt.

The car has spent some time in the low 60mph for miles on the highway. I thought I heard something once but nothing that has been consistent or returned.

I only have about 700 miles on the shaft. Being retired has slowed things down.

Winter time is when the miles will begin to rack up again, skiing in VT.

In fact I'm swinging by the Tranny shop later today, they did the rebuild and install. They asked me to let them know how things are going.

Edited by Max Capacity

Just got back from the Tranny shop. Us old guys talked for almost 40 minutes. He was happy to hear the draiveshaft is fine as well as the Spec Clutch. He mentioned how nice that Spec unit was compared to what a WRX owner brought a last week. It was a Exedy clutch to replace the one in that car. They installed it but it had a heavy pedal.

As for the driveshaft, the 9 mile drive there and back is all country roads, I found myself doing 50-60mph most of the time. Zero noise from the driveshaft area or any vibration in the console under my right elbow. I made it a point to look for that.

I had one of the techs at work lift the car up today and help me out diagnosing my driveshaft woes. He really manhandled the driveshaft of the car and showed me how much extra play there was in mine from a worn out center support bushing (that donut-looking thing). He then did the same thing with a newer Chevy Equinox and showed me how little play there was. This is the part that went on yours, right Jolbaru? Guessing the whole driveshaft is gonna have to be replaced for this part. Sounds like you guys are enjoying the serviceable replacement?

The center carrier bearing is what went on my wagona couple years back. I could feel the vibration under my right elbow when I rested it on the console at highway speeds.

I installed a OEM shaft. 45,000 miles later that OEM shaft had notchy U joints.

The Driveshaft Stores shaft now has 700 miles on it and its fine.

I had one of the techs at work lift the car up today and help me out diagnosing my driveshaft woes. He really manhandled the driveshaft of the car and showed me how much extra play there was in mine from a worn out center support bushing (that donut-looking thing). He then did the same thing with a newer Chevy Equinox and showed me how little play there was. This is the part that went on yours, right Jolbaru? Guessing the whole driveshaft is gonna have to be replaced for this part. Sounds like you guys are enjoying the serviceable replacement?

Yeah the center support bearing and donut was toast! You definitely don’t want that to blow when you’re driving. Especially going 60-80mph on the freeway. I thought the driveshaft was going to poke through the floor and come up via the center storage thing between the seats. It was that violent and sudden. No warning...

Yeah get the serviceable one. Tell your mechanic about it, and make sure he gets the proper new nuts and bolts from Subaru.