LegacyGT.com

Headlight lense wavy from prior restoration

I was looking at doing a 3M headlight restoration on my 2011 GT and noticed that the passenger headlight had waves in the lense. I think it is from the prior owner doing a headlight restoration and creating too much heat. It is only the passenger headlight that has it.

My intention is to sell the car. What should I do? Just restore it ($30) and deal with the imperfection? Buy a used 10-12 headlight (which they all seem relative expensive $100 and they are oxidized) and restore it? Buy pair of new TYC headlight ($300) and sell off the originals?

IMG_3160.thumb.jpg.603219d76f0067cabff07e155c8ff5d9.jpg

I second this, after restoration get a decent clearcoat on there . Avoid having to do it for much longer that way.

I forgot to mention, make sure you try to get a UV Resistant Clearcoat for the best results.

i agree with the others, just restore em as good as possible and let it go. if the new owner wants to upgrade the headlights then that's on them. very likely won't be noticeable once you get them cleaned up and clear coated anyways

That's the one thing I didn't do to mine was clearcoat. But, I didn't use a 3M type kit. I used Mother's aluminum polish with some buffing pads. I wax them once a month with spray wax. We will see how it holds up.

Is the clearcoat in a rattlecan?

in the past i've used 2k clear coat, but any clear coat with UV protection should do it. my current headlights get polished every couple of months with some plast-x, and it lasts for 3-6 months even with waxing them whenever i wax my car(every monthish). would definitely advise a clear coat with all the work you've put in to yours

I've been going crazy researching headlight restoration techniques the last few weeks and I know the sanding (500 all the way up to 3000 or whatever), buffing, polishing, and follow up with urethane clear coat for amazing results...that you'll have to repeat every.*******.year.

Found this link and a local joint that sells the main component. Gonna try it out this weekend and likely follow up with a laminx tint over them really soon for further protection.

The headlight came out really well with the Sm kit and clear coat wipes. The prior light weren't really yellow but they were cloudy. [it almost looked like someone did 3 of 4 steps.]

I washed and polished a few scratches out yesterday today I waxed and did the headlights. I probably should have waxed after I did they headlight restoration. I am very happy with the way they came out. You can barely see the wavy portion. I just have to buff one spot where the tape flipped up on me.

IMG_3164.thumb.jpg.95916ee029f9703ca2c93e47a18191b5.jpg

IMG_3165.thumb.jpg.97dbbd0034e6b170e89548428b2dd660.jpg

IMG_3166.thumb.jpg.d6a7aabe1ec9e3be5ff708342d268a97.jpg