LegacyGT.com

What's on your mind at this instant? -- Volume 13

ammcinnis

Sti needs to step up their performance a bit. Last I checked, they weren't moving forward at the same pace as everyone else.
And no hatch so less practical.

Seems like the only real advantage it has over competitors is AWD at a better price than the Golf R.

Strange new windmill design ...

I have studied wind turbines for electric power generation, both personally and professionally, since the early 1970s. It's been known for decades that the maximum theoretical efficiency of any wind turbine is 59.6%, which modern single-rotor turbines operate pretty close to; there's just not that much wind energy left to recover. The proposed new design, as described, is full of holes ... e.g. an array of smaller turbines are not inherently more efficient than a single larger one. Then there is the matter of reliability, which in general is inversely proportional to the parts count of a mechanical device ... multiple turbines => higher parts count => lower reliability/higher maintenance requirement. Finally, the height of the proposed array creates a HUGE overturning moment that's going to be hard, if not impossible, to counteract in an ocean environment.

To be clear: I have been a strong proponent of alternative/renewable energy sources, including wind, for more than 50 years, but I'm also an engineer and a realist.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

My wife went off on the phone with Peloton tech. Me and my son (came home from his first day of school) woke up from our nap on the sofa. All I heard was my wife is comparing there products with an Apple products on surge protection, haha

Thanks to my background (Electrical-Mechanical Engineering). I was able to recover my wife Peloton bike touch screen in 15min (blinking white screen) by the way that screen is $400 and you have to send the old one in. Now I need to get a UPS system for the bike. Just to protect it. I should purchase (2) so I can have one on my Custom PC (I only turn it on when needed).

Edited by amusa

A ups is cheap insurance. I put in a whole panel surge protector when I upgraded my panel years ago. Half the house has it (2 panels), so you can see the power fluctuations as some things flicker and others don't. Adding the ups on top of that, makes for a pretty good setup. Adding a generator with automatic transfer would have been the next upgrade.

Look for a ups that includes a line conditioner. Takes care of brownouts too

I have a whole house surge protector. My electrician said he's seen them defeated many many times unfortunately. Cheap insurance even if it's not 100% in my book

I heard that too. I bought a cutler-hammer 17 years ago. The transformer on our nearest power pole has exploded twice. Surge protector didn't even flicker.

I have a 4 hour ups on every piece of network equipment (4 hours was the longest a laptop lasted when we installed all of this). A power outage longer than 4 hours presented other problems. :)

Nice! I have about 4-5 UPS units in the house as well. They are worth the price for sure. They are also great to use on delicate electronics if you use a generator often, as the power fluctuations can be terrible on solid state stuff.

Looking at subdivisible acreage with the inlaws. We all want to escape Seattle and move to a more desirable area. They grew up in a small town in Vietnam. It's taking 20 years and Chop to convince them moving to Chinatown, Seattle would not be the same as moving back to Saigon.

Just got off a conference call with 6 excitable families who looking at moving into the wilds. Of the 8 properties we're looking at currently, only 1 of them has a lower crime rate than we have now. Probably why they haven't sold yet. :)

Researching these carriers reading reviews and on Better Business Bureau. I'm looking to ship the Legacy to Texas from D.C soon after I pick up the Legacy from my friend shop this Saturday. That also remind me I still need to send the vehicle title this week.

My 70' tall Tulip Poplar Tree got struck by lightning in my backyard the other day, nuked my router and APs, 65" TV and work computer, along with a couple outlets. TV and the more expensive router were thankfully covered under warranty. Biggest expense will be having the tree cut down and removed. I didn't have a UPS system, just power strips. Probably will invest in a UPS as this has been a headache.

e213b9b7734edad3765697e79bb58d71.jpg

7f9550e175fb3256d3a1d37e2e12c7d5.jpg

Brought to you by Pfizer

Save the strips. Call the power strip company, most have a built in warranty. As long as they offer some type of surge protection and not just extra outlets.

We have had successful subrogation against many manufacturers in the past.

I got one for $800 and I already locked in the price there picking it up this Monday. I hope my in-law will put insurance on the vehicle and get temp tags. I'm taking my tags off and cutting the insurance off before it get's loaded onto the carrier.

When i shipped my car to it's new home, the buyer used a shipping website. U-ship maybe? Something like that. Shippers bid and they're all individually reviewed.

I was getting prices from 1,050 - $1,400. I thought it was to pricey because I had the Subaru shipped from North Miami to D.C. for $600 back in 2014.

Save the strips. Call the power strip company, most have a built in warranty. As long as they offer some type of surge protection and not just extra outlets.

We have had successful subrogation against many manufacturers in the past.

Since warranty has already corrected most of these issues I’m pretty satisfied (warranty’s didn’t cover about $200 of shit). That was going to be my next stop if LG didn’t repair the TV. The tree is $2900, that’s the kick in the dick.

Brought to you by Pfizer

My old man got a 21 RAV4 with the surround cam. Resolution is kind of crap but he likes it for parking.

Mercedes has this, including multiple camera views. When putting a big suv on a skinny rack, you can watch the camera instead of looking out the window.

Unless your boss is watching you do it with a new uncalibrated vehicle. :)