LegacyGT.com

05 LGT vf52 swap, top feed rail conversion, tgv deletes, and ID1050x injectors

So this past Sunday a friend and I finished installing BC coilovers on my 05 LGT and then we went for a cruise and a mountain run. Half way up the mountain my turbo went out. We pulled over ASAP, the turbo had a bit of a wind chime like noise here and there. Checked the oil, it was a little low so we put more in, also there was no metal on the dipstick. We debated fully opening the wastegate to vent to atmosphere and not build boost but I ultimately decided to drive the car home 65-70 miles keeping it under 3000 rpms and out of boost. After 15-30 mins of driving the wind chime noise stopped. In 5 gear @ 60mph and around 2800 rpms I tried to give the car a little more throttle to see if it would attempt to go into boost, I had just been very lightly feathering the throttle to accelerate very slowly up to this point. It would not go into boost so I just continued with slowly accelerating like I had been doing. Got the car home. Next day I went to start the car to check how well it would start up. Started immediately and idled perfectly, so I turned it back of. Then I checked the dipstick again, oil level was at the low market but no metal on it. Pulled the intercooler and the intake hose, no metal or oil in those either. Have yet to pull the oil pan as I’ll be doing an oil change, rear main seal replacement, and clutch swap soon and I’ll check at that time. As far as I can tell the turbo is definitely cooked but the engine is fine. So the next plan is to swap out the vf40 with a vf52, also going to put on IAG tgv deletes and IAG side to top feed fuel rail conversion and planning to run ID1050x 1065cc injectors.. really the question is if there is anything special I should be aware of doing this swap and conversion more than plug n play and tune. Already have in mind I may need to upgrade the stock fuel pump. Any insight, links, info would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No metal on the dipstick means absolutely nothing. If your turbo did indeed go out and its not just some related failure that killed the boost/whistled, then you need to check the oil, filter and the pan for metal before you go doing these mods. You don't have any proof yet that the motor hasn't been damaged.

You need to see to check the turbo for shaft play. I got lucky years ago and had very little the wheel just began to touch the compressor housing.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

No metal on the dipstick means absolutely nothing. If your turbo did indeed go out and its not just some related failure that killed the boost/whistled, then you need to check the oil, filter and the pan for metal before you go doing these mods. You don't have any proof yet that the motor hasn't been damaged.

Alrighty, I’ll go ahead and check all of that tomorrow!

You need to see to check the turbo for shaft play. I got lucky years ago and had very little the wheel just began to touch the compressor housing.

Cool, I’ll pull the turbo tomorrow while checking the pan and everything else. I tried to look down in the intercooler flange to see what little I could without removing the intake manifold and it looked like the compressor was slightly misaligned. Granted, I’m no expert.

With the down pipe removed you can check shaft play before you unbolt it from the up pipe.

The first time doing this job is the hardest, the next time is much easier.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/142-000-miles-oem-turbo-168561.html

You'll see pictures of my old vf40 there.

Edited by Max Capacity

With the down pipe removed you can check shaft play before you unbolt it from the up pipe.

The first time doing this job is the hardest, the next time is much easier.

Yeah, I’ve found the first time doing anything is the hardest, I just take my time with it and learn what I need to learn so that the next time is much faster. I just haven’t had time with work to get deep into it yet. Tomorrow will be my first day off since Sunday.

I still feel the need to reiterate to you though that I didn’t say the engine was good for sure and in my OP stated that I just haven’t pulled the pan yet. The mods I’m looking at doing is just best case scenario that the engine is still good. It may not be once I have time to go deeper into it. In which case I’ll be handling that before this but still just trying to figure everything out as I will do these mods eventually regardless so just trying to get my ducks in a row so when I’m ready and able to pull the trigger on it I can.

In post #17 I can see some.

I'll have to see if I have them saved some where on a thumb drive.. from years back.

Not knowing your existing set up, things I would put on the need/to be considered list are:

- Fuel pump (need for sure)

- Aftermarket Intercooler with silicone hose

- New turbo inlet (aftermatket would be preferred)

- VF52 wastegate will need to be ported

- 3 port EBCS (highly recommended)

- CAI

- DP and catless UP

- Headers

- Clutch

- Make sure brakes are top shape and able to handle the extra power

- Towing to the tuner

Don’t “need” headers to run this set up stock manifolds are fine. Would advise against a CAI, you open yourself up to boost creep with these smaller IHI turbos when you run a CAI. Porting the wastegate might help, but a turbo of this size isn’t pushing enough air to optimize what the CAI is designed to do anyway. With a VF52 on larger injectors and a pump, bigger intercooler, stock intake and exhaust manifolds, you should make close to 300 HP to the wheels. Add headers, you’ll get a bump in peak TQ with a few more ponies as well. Edited by shralp

Not knowing your existing set up, things I would put on the need/to be considered list are:

- CAI

- DP and catless UP

- Headers

- Clutch

- Towing to the tuner

This is the first car I’ve modified so I’ve been doing bits and pieces here and there, usually as it becomes necessary, modding on a budget after all. Previous owners did a few mods that I don’t even think the guy that sold me the car realized. I took the turbo off and disassembled it this past Sunday and come to find out someone had already installed a vf52. So my plan now is to rebuild it. As far as I can tell it’s still running stock injectors.

As far as a mod list goes

-K&N Short Ram Intake (previous owner)

-Perrin Inlet Hose

-Cobb Catless Uppipe

-Invidia Highflow Catted Downpipe

-Grimmspeed adapter

-Magnaflow exhaust with just a resonator

-Cobb Short Throw Shifter(Previous Owner)

-Power Stop Z26 Cross-drilled and slotted rotors with carbon/ceramic pads.

-BC Racing BR Series Coilovers

I have a Competition Clutch Lightweight flywheel(13lbs), Stage 4 pressure plate, 6 puck ceramic clutch disc, and Versus Engineering Billet Clutch Fork and Pivot to put in but haven’t installed all this yet.

Figured I would need a new fuel pump. Any recommendations on what to look at?

Don’t know what a 3 port ECBS but I’ll look it up and do some research on it. Headers is something I was definitely already considering at some point but they are pricey. Also I’d like to go to a front mount intercooler eventually though I do like the top mount spool speed. There’s a machine shop about 10-15mins from me that primarily works on drag cars, emailed them earlier today to have them look at the turbo so I’ll ask them about porting the wastegate whenever I hear back from them. And is the Short Ram that’s on the car ok or should I go ahead and look at switching to a CAI? I haven’t seen that as a big need so haven’t really looked into the big differences between the 2. Also, thanks for all the helpful info. I really appreciate it!!

Don’t “need” headers to run this set up stock manifolds are fine. Would advise against a CAI, you open yourself up to boost creep with these smaller IHI turbos when you run a CAI. Porting the wastegate might help, but a turbo of this size isn’t pushing enough air to optimize what the CAI is designed to do anyway. With a VF52 on larger injectors and a pump, bigger intercooler, stock intake and exhaust manifolds, you should make close to 300 HP to the wheels. Add headers, you’ll get a bump in peak TQ with a few more ponies as well.

Thanks for the suggestions!! I definitely would like to get headers when I can. The previous owner did install a short ram intake. Not sure if it’s negative or not. Info on the CAI is appreciated as I haven’t looked into them a whole lot myself yet, I’ll really need to do some research on air intake types to boost my knowledge so I know a bit better how it works in tandem with everything else I have and would like to do/plan to do in the future.

- CAI

- DP and catless UP

- Headers

- Clutch

- Towing to the tuner

Ahhhh now I see what a EBCS is. I will definitely pick up a boost controller. I’ve also been wanting to invest in a Cobb accessport for awhile now and want to get one. Not being able to monitor things is becoming a pain, plus my knowledge was fairly limited to be able to really make use of what all the accessport would tell me. It’s a bit better now and I’d like to be able to map out a known “Good Tune” so I can keep an eye out for things getting screwy.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Got the engine pulled, dropped the pan. Zero metal in it. Shook the rods, no play in them. Still going to split the block and check the main bearings plus I’m replacing all the timing components, gaskets, etc before doing these upgrades