LegacyGT.com

Hello again,

I have seen a bunch of topics on this but I wanted to double check that in order to make a VF38 turbo work with a USDM legacy I just need:

VF38 turbo

Up-pipe

Manifold

Do I need anything else in order to make this work properly such as downpipe?

Thank you.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Downpipe flange is different too. Also, why VF38? You can spend all that money on a better single scroll turbo I'd think.

Thanks for the response, I wanted to twin scroll for better spool. Good to know the downpipe has a different flange. I found the entire set up minus downpipe with 40k miles for $450 shipped.

What turbo do you recommend in the same price range that wouldn’t require a tune for a single scroll setup and direct replacement?

Thanks again.

That's a pretty good price on the VF38. Last I remember they spool by 3k on an EJ25. For me, the Evo III 16G spools consistently by 3.3k, and ought to have more room up top than the VF38.

That said, if you can get the DP cheap you might actually save a few bucks, assuming the VF38 is in good shape.

Guess it's a question of your end goal at the end of the day.

That's a pretty good price on the VF38. Last I remember they spool by 3k on an EJ25. For me, the Evo III 16G spools consistently by 3.3k, and ought to have more room up top than the VF38.

That said, if you can get the DP cheap you might actually save a few bucks, assuming the VF38 is in good shape.

Guess it's a question of your end goal at the end of the day.

Thanks for the comment. Is it true that the Vf38's are unreliable compared to a VF44? Also, I found this: https://www.mvpmotorsports.com/avo-turboworld/avo-turboworld-downpipe/s1303g3la001t/i-2448208.aspx

The only thing is I am not sure if the mounts/bends are the same as a 5EAT downpipe.

FWIW, both my cars seem to begin to spool about 2400-2600rpm, the vf52 and the vf46 on the Spec.

IMO stay with what we all know works well with these cars.

What year Legacy GT is your's again ? You should add it to your info like most of us we its easy to see with every post. Notice you can see that info by just looking to the left.

Under, "cars".

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks for the comment. Is it true that the Vf38's are unreliable compared to a VF44? Also, I found this: https://www.mvpmotorsports.com/avo-turboworld/avo-turboworld-downpipe/s1303g3la001t/i-2448208.aspx

The only thing is I am not sure if the mounts/bends are the same as a 5EAT downpipe.

Good price. Not sure about reliability versus other JDM turbos. Only datapoint I have is the 60k VF38 we have sitting in the shop that came off of a JDM motor, which has way more shaft play than I'd expect given the mileage. That said, no idea what it's history is beyond the quoted miles so could be a fluke.

FWIW, most of us recommend you have any used turbo checked by someone we trust, member JMP6889928 is who we trust.

The idea is to spend the right amount money up front to insure you don't spend a lot more later or in the near future...

It is a good thing your asking questions before you spend your money.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

If you use a different turbo you will need a tune, only way to avoid a tune is getting another vf40 or whatever you have now. Different turbo = tune!

Thank you for the comment. I will most likely get the car retuned after replacing the turbo no matter which one I go with just to play it safe. I do not mind spending a little extra to make it run better.

FWIW, both my cars seem to begin to spool about 2400-2600rpm, the vf52 and the vf46 on the Spec.

IMO stay with what we all know works well with these cars.

What year Legacy GT is your's again ? You should add it to your info like most of us we its easy to see with every post. Notice you can see that info by just looking to the left.

Under, "cars".

Thanks for your comment. So in your opinion, should I go with a VF52 instead? I forget if those are a direct replacement? If I do this should I upgrade my injectors and fuel pump as well?

Gotcha, I will add that in. Mine is a 2005.

Good price. Not sure about reliability versus other JDM turbos. Only datapoint I have is the 60k VF38 we have sitting in the shop that came off of a JDM motor, which has way more shaft play than I'd expect given the mileage. That said, no idea what it's history is beyond the quoted miles so could be a fluke.

Thanks for the comment, only reason I ask is because I have seen a few posts where people have had more issues with the VF38 than the Vf44. But then again, every turbo is different.

FWIW, most of us recommend you have any used turbo checked by someone we trust, member JMP6889928 is who we trust.

The idea is to spend the right amount money up front to insure you don't spend a lot more later or in the near future...

It is a good thing your asking questions before you spend your money.

Thanks for the comment, I will look more into which one to get. And yes I just want to get my car checked first and if it does end up being the turbo I want to upgrade it. I do need the money just incase it ends up costing a good amount to get the car fixed.

Thank you all!

With the power goals I assume your looking to reach with a VF38, I’d suggest a VF52 as well, plug and play with your platform and works with your OEM fueling set up. The power can be optimized down the line if you want to add injectors and a pump but it’s not needed to run the turbo efficiently. If you want yet another bump in power with nearly identical spool and more power up top, I’d also suggest a 16G, (you will need injectors and a pump). I’d also suggest contacting JMP, I’m running his 11 blade VF52 in my daily and his customized 16G in my track car. Very happy with both.

To help you feel better, I have been on the vf52 for over 150,000 miles on stock fueling, until a couple years back when just because I upgraded to a AEM 320 pump, had a fuel leak at the tank and figured while the tanks apart, might as well.

Car was dynoed at 21psi on stock injectors and pump that was back in Aug 2011.

With the power goals I assume your looking to reach with a VF38, I’d suggest a VF52 as well, plug and play with your platform and works with your OEM fueling set up. The power can be optimized down the line if you want to add injectors and a pump but it’s not needed to run the turbo efficiently. If you want yet another bump in power with nearly identical spool and more power up top, I’d also suggest a 16G, (you will need injectors and a pump). I’d also suggest contacting JMP, I’m running his 11 blade VF52 in my daily and his customized 16G in my track car. Very happy with both.

Thank you for the response. The car is pushing about 15PSI right now which I am happy with, except the fact my turbo may be dead now, but anywho if the VF52 is a plug and play with a re-flash I will probably go that route. Any suggestions on where I should get one--the VF52?

To help you feel better, I have been on the vf52 for over 150,000 miles on stock fueling, until a couple years back when just because I upgraded to a AEM 320 pump, had a fuel leak at the tank and figured while the tanks apart, might as well.

Car was dynoed at 21psi on stock injectors and pump that was back in Aug 2011.

Thanks for the response. Awesome! I am the person that prefers to go with more reliability by compromising HP. I was very satisfied where my car was and the pickup before this whole thing happened.

you may even be able to get your current turbo rebuilt by jmp for cheaper than buying a new one.

Thanks for the response. To be honest, not really sure if it’s worth rebuilding. Actually, not even sure if it can be rebuilt.

I found a rebuilt VF52 with 1 year warranty for $400. I did want to get a little more power out of it eventually so if I do have to replace the turbo I’d rather do it now than later on.

i would consult with jmp, hes pretty knowledgeable. He changes the center cartridge, his rebuilds are good, no one complains. Short of the housings being cracked I don't see why it can't be rebuilt. Where did you find this rebuilt turbo for 400 dollars?? normally a good quality one is around 700. I would question a rebuilt turbo for 400 dollars, the cartridge itself costs 300-400.

Would suggest talking with John (JMP) as well. He also will buy VF series turbos and offer core credit from time to time as he needs them for rebuilders. Could possibly rebuild yours as well

i would consult with jmp, hes pretty knowledgeable. He changes the center cartridge, his rebuilds are good, no one complains. Short of the housings being cracked I don't see why it can't be rebuilt. Where did you find this rebuilt turbo for 400 dollars?? normally a good quality one is around 700. I would question a rebuilt turbo for 400 dollars, the cartridge itself costs 300-400.

Thanks for the response. I have heard great things about him no doubt about that. I will message him and see if he has any laying around. This one I found off eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-IHI-RHF55-VF52-WRX-LEGACY-14411AA800-NIB-Genuine-IHI-Turbo-charger/282818409266

Seller ratings are good. Uses Genuine housing. Thought I would ask before I jump the gun.

Would suggest talking with John (JMP) as well. He also will buy VF series turbos and offer core credit from time to time as he needs them for rebuilders. Could possibly rebuild yours as well

Thanks for the response. I will reach out to him and see if he has any laying around and if so how much he would want.

I just want to confirm that the VF52 will work with my current manifold, up-pipe, and downpipe?

Thanks everyone!

+1 for jmp, he knows his stuff.

I believe all of the VF turbos he rebuilds have modified internals to eliminate the oiling issues with our cars. If you get his custom billet wheel you can expect results similar to 16G or vf52 with a quicker spool than stock. I accidentally sent him cheap Chinese rebuilt vf40 and he was still able to work his magic.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

+1 for jmp, he knows his stuff.

I believe all of the VF turbos he rebuilds have modified internals to eliminate the oiling issues with our cars. If you get his custom billet wheel you can expect results similar to 16G or vf52 with a quicker spool than stock. I accidentally sent him cheap Chinese rebuilt vf40 and he was still able to work his magic.

Vf52 should be a direct replacement, I think the only thing that doesn't fit directly is the heatsheild but it is not really necessary

Thank you for your comments. I will reach out to him.

yea that ebay turbo looks like it was rebuilt with cheap internals, which is the most important part of the turbo, the moving parts! Cartridges aren't that cheap unless they are some cheap chinese knock offs. Not saying it won't work, but how long will it last? If the turbo blows it has a high chance of taking your motor with it which is why no one on this forum advocates cheap turbos. You will quickly find yourself in the #ynansb crew

Vf52 should be a direct replacement, I think the only thing that doesn't fit directly is the heatsheild but it is not really necessary

True, the heatshield will need a little cutting. Nothing a hack saw blade can't do. Or a cut off tool if you have one.

yea that ebay turbo looks like it was rebuilt with cheap internals, which is the most important part of the turbo, the moving parts! Cartridges aren't that cheap unless they are some cheap chinese knock offs. Not saying it won't work, but how long will it last? If the turbo blows it has a high chance of taking your motor with it which is why no one on this forum advocates cheap turbos. You will quickly find yourself in the #ynansb crew

Thanks for the comment. Good thing I asked! Would something like this be a good option too? http://hillcountryforcedinductions.com/rhf55-ihi-vf52/

True, the heatshield will need a little cutting. Nothing a hack saw blade can't do. Or a cut off tool if you have one.

Thanks for the comment. IMO I would like a heat shield too for the new turbo, but will decide when the time comes.