LegacyGT.com

weakest part of the 05 legacy?

in most cases it's the the nut betweel the steering wheel and driver seat. :) And drivetrain if you like doing clutch drops from hi RPM or torque braking. AWD have twice more grip to the ground so all stress from this goes to drivetrain.

[quote name='meier motor sports']good to know.. so lets review week parts. me, radio, tires. got it :P[/quote] The radio is ok, it doesn't suckl, but don't expect some high end luxury sound system either. From what I've read most people don't like the stock tires, some people here, like SUBE555, have made deals when they bought their cars to have better tires installed. I found the tires to handle well, especially driving high speed on a highway during a bad rain storm. - Mike

The tyres in Oz seem to be ok and there are no real other weakpoints with the car. We also get the McIntosh upgrade if required (aka have the $$$) but seems like everyone globally is still having dramas with the brakes......... Good to see you back Matt and great news that the boys helped you out at Subaru. But with such a new car, machined brakes ???????? I would have jumped up and down for new ones under there apparent warranty process !!!!

Yeah I did complain - but they gave a very light machining, and we have agreed at the first service to change the rotors over completely. Aparrently Subaru want to see dealers machine the brakes first before they authorise the rotor change. Its a red tape thing. :( The way I look at at it is, I'll get new brakes and rotors in 6-8 months time for free. You can't do better than that eh? :D

That is so BS and Im sorry that you had to go thru that process. I know its not like exchanging a blender but you not payin AUD100 for a GT. Its the heartache that you have to go thru for the process, meaning, it just sours the relationship and no one wants to see like a complete whinger. Well Im glad that the process has worked and that they will look after you down the track. But keep them honest by keeping on their backs. PPl have a habit of leaving and not putting that type of information in the computer.

[quote name='meier motor sports']does any one know what the wekaest part or point of this car is? or maybe what older subarus were? as in where could the car use the most improvement? how are the brakes, suspension, drive train, etc in other words what would be the best part to upgrade? :twisted:[/quote] The cooling system. Surprisingly for a modern engine, Subaru recommends adding some of their "Stop-Leak" when you change the antifreeze every 30,000 miles. From their online maintenance schedule is this note: "To prevent cooling system leaks, always add Genuine Subaru Cooling System Conditioner (Part no. SOA635071) whenever the coolant is replaced." Why can't Subaru design a cooling system that does not leak?

not that I own one yet, but I think that the 'knob' for adjusting the outside mirrors is really not that great. It feels kinda bad to me...but then again, it's not used too often. and by the way, got a link to that 'stop-leak' stuff? Would like to know what's up with that? Later, i.

[quote name='inthedeck']......and by the way, got a link to that 'stop-leak' stuff? Would like to know what's up with that? Later, i.[/quote] Try this: [url]http://www.subaru.com/owners/care/schedules/schedules.jsp?schedulepage=2005myfed.html[/url]

The two weakest links that I see are the interior/stereo and the back end of the Legacy wagon (my top pick to replace my '02 Audi). From some angles, the bumper on the Legacy Wagon makes it look odd. But the biggest issue is that interior. I've been trying to figure out what bothers me about it. I finally did yesterday when I got a look at the JDM McIntosh stereo. With the US car, the center console is an unattractive silver and the stereo is rather weak at best. With the McIntosh, it's probably obvious that the sound will be better. What's not obvious is that, when the McIntosh stereo is added, the entire center console is different and much better looking. So that's the big problem with the '05 XT and GT - the center console looks cheap and degrades the looks of the entire interior. I'm have a very tough time with this issue. If the McIntosh was available for $1,500, I'd fork over the dough in a heart beat. Regards, Dan.

[quote name='inthedeck']not that I own one yet, but I think that the 'knob' for adjusting the outside mirrors is really not that great. It feels kinda bad to me...but then again, it's not used too often. and by the way, got a link to that 'stop-leak' stuff? Would like to know what's up with that? Later, i.[/quote] Most new car manufacturer's do this.... Heck, GM and Ford even install stop leak at the factory.....

[quote name='BookemDano']With the McIntosh, it's probably obvious that the sound will be better. What's not obvious is that, when the McIntosh stereo is added, the entire center console is different and much better looking. .[/quote] I found the link to a pic of the McIntosh stero in an Aussie GT: [url]http://www.legacysti.com/viewtopic.php?t=1217&highlight=mcintosh[/url] Very nice! Regards, Dan.

The tires. They are the same basic tire that my last two GT's have had. I will wear these out and then put better ones on. May be bigger wheels with the new tires, depends on what I want to spend the money on.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

[quote name='godwhomismike']The only weak parts are the tires and the stereo - everything else in the car is excellent. - Mike[/quote] I would add the carpeting to that list. My '97 GT had 79,000 miles on it when it was totalled.* The carpeting did not have any bald spots in it at all. In my 2005, I found a bald spot between the dead pedal and the clutch pedal after only 300 miles. *"Rear-ended" by a '99 Jeep Grand Cerokee driven by an uninsured fat cow on March 12, 2004 - which also happens to be my birthday.

The winner is the second post in this thread. Most drivers aren't up to this car's potential, which can never even be approached in legal, public roadway situations. This is WITH the RE-92s on the car which, run at 37-39 psi, are fine tires. No complaints at all. The stereo, with the subwoofer, makes Mahler sound great. Nighttime drives with classical music on are a delight. Try that in a WRX or STi. And my personal jury is out on the McIntosh stuff. I know that it is a visual incongruity compared to the USDM audio setup. This is, mind you, subjective. But if we presume the "weakest part" question to be performance-based, the car has no weak points, other than the driver. Brakes are excellent, suspension has a great blend of comfort and handling and the stock rubber is more than adequate. Inside the car, I'm still trying to find something to complain about. All the knobs/buttons fall right where I expect them two, except in two instances: The window buttons in the driver's side door should have been angled slightly outward. Your wrist makes a slightly odd angle to reach them. The "mode" button on the climate control requires that you look at it, until you get to know it better. Other than that, the seats fit me like a glove, with plenty of thigh support, etc, etc. I have 1800 miles on my GT wagon now, with not a complaint in the world except that, as I have said before, the car doesn't come with a "get out of jail free" card. Kevin

Archived