LegacyGT.com

weakest part of the 05 legacy?

[quote name='gtguy']The winner is the second post in this thread. Most drivers aren't up to this car's potential, which can never even be approached in legal, public roadway situations. This is WITH the RE-92s on the car which, run at 37-39 psi, are fine tires. No complaints at all. The stereo, with the subwoofer, makes Mahler sound great. Nighttime drives with classical music on are a delight. Try that in a WRX or STi. And my personal jury is out on the McIntosh stuff. I know that it is a visual incongruity compared to the USDM audio setup. This is, mind you, subjective. But if we presume the "weakest part" question to be performance-based, the car has no weak points, other than the driver. Brakes are excellent, suspension has a great blend of comfort and handling and the stock rubber is more than adequate. Inside the car, I'm still trying to find something to complain about. All the knobs/buttons fall right where I expect them two, except in two instances: The window buttons in the driver's side door should have been angled slightly outward. Your wrist makes a slightly odd angle to reach them. The "mode" button on the climate control requires that you look at it, until you get to know it better. Other than that, the seats fit me like a glove, with plenty of thigh support, etc, etc. I have 1800 miles on my GT wagon now, with not a complaint in the world except that, as I have said before, the car doesn't come with a "get out of jail free" card. Kevin[/quote] im comming from a car that i could make repeated 100-0 mph stops in a row with no brake fade, no warping. smoke literly come off the pads. takeing off ramps at 60-70mph. the only thing lacking in my current car is the power. takes about 5 min to top out. quarter mile at 16.9 sec at 89mph. once dynoed at 98hp :cry: and the over all quality of the car was lacking. trim was plastic cliped to more plastic. parts squeek and rattel over bumps. on the exterior pannels wouldnt have straight lines. gaps were uneaven. so thats what im lookng for as in weak parts. what parts would u look into replacing to increase performance? because i will be replacing parts wether they need it or not

[quote name='meier motor sports']im comming from a car that i could make repeated 100-0 mph stops in a row with no brake fade, no warping. smoke literly come off the pads. takeing off ramps at 60-70mph. the only thing lacking in my current car is the power. takes about 5 min to top out. quarter mile at 16.9 sec at 89mph. once dynoed at 98hp :cry: and the over all quality of the car was lacking. trim was plastic cliped to more plastic. parts squeek and rattel over bumps. on the exterior pannels wouldnt have straight lines. gaps were uneaven. so thats what im lookng for as in weak parts. what parts would u look into replacing to increase performance? because i will be replacing parts wether they need it or not[/quote] I would do stainless brake lines and uprated fluid, to keep things from boiling. The GT can already take off ramps at 60-70 mph (don't ask me how I know). You will be quite pleasantly surprised with the fit and finish on the Legacy. Nicer tires will let you have more fun with the car, but unless you are into power mods (I'm not), the GT comes ready to rock and roll. Mind you, that's just my opinion. But I've been through the Skip Barber wringer, and knowing what I know, the GT is a LOT of car, significantly more than the WRX, quite frankly. I hope that people are careful out there this winter, or there will be some sacrifices to the Scooby Gods. Kevin

[quote name='jk']i don't know how increasing tire pressure is going to help traction in wet conditions.[/quote] More consistent contact patch. It's the same thing that works for road bicycle racing. When it started raining, we used to come running in to deflate our tires, until a guy from Italy said to me, "Don't. A softer tire squirms around, and you will definitely crash." He was right. Obviously in the rain, you should slow down. The RE-92 still has more plastic in it than it should. But in the dry, higher pressures help casing flex and sidewall flex, making the tire more responsive, which makes it handle better. Kevin

i think i will add more power in the future. nothin extream proably intake exhaust. im not sure whats all out there. i saw a water sprayer for the inter cooler. maybe something like that. probably ecu upgrades. wheels and tires for looks and handeling. and suspesion upgrades for looks and handeling. as parts wear out i replace with the best i can afford. and i am pretty hard on my cars

[quote name='meier motor sports']i think i will add more power in the future. nothin extream proably intake exhaust. im not sure whats all out there. i saw a water sprayer for the inter cooler. maybe something like that. probably ecu upgrades. wheels and tires for looks and handeling. and suspesion upgrades for looks and handeling. as parts wear out i replace with the best i can afford. and i am pretty hard on my cars[/quote] At present, precious little is out there. AVO is about to offer some power upgrades, and ECUTEK has something in the offing, as well. But nothing has been installed, tested, or used very much in the real world. Be very careful with intakes. Turbo Subarus tend not to like them. As regards exhausts, again, be careful. It's easy to make more noise, but not a lot more power. As regards suspension, be VERY careful. There will be lot of stuff out there for the Legacy, as more and more of the kids sign on for 72 or 80-month paper. A lot of it will be junk. Some will be good, precious little will be very good. Very good for me, suspension-wise, is the Porsche 911. Astounding stiction, telepathic handling and exceptional compliance. You can drive a 911 like a Honda Accord. Now, a suspension like that is expensive, and doesn't come stock on a $26K car such as the GT. So the springs are a bit soft. This is a good compromise, as you get the excellent ride quality, and very good handling because of the very fine dampers. To make the Legacy great (and a lot of people won't want to hear this), all you need is a smaller front swaybar (similar to what the SPT kit did for the WRX sedan), springs that are about 20% stiffer with very slight lowering, about 1/2", and a lower front brace (not a strut tower bar). Done. STi has the springs (pink, for you fashion-forward lads), and I would bet the lesser Legacies have a smaller front swaybar than the GT. Nobody sells a lower front brace in this market yet, but I imagine that a good outfit such as Cusco will. I used their brace on my WRX and it was excellent. As far as brakes, the GT comes with 12.4" rotors up front, and 11.4" rotors in back. The STi, with its Brembo package isn't much bigger, and note that size isn't everything, as the VW R32 outbrakes the STi by a car length, without big ol' fancy pants calipers. I would bet that the pad compound is more aggressive. You can add some STi Brembos for about $4,000, but you won't gain much in the braking department. But yes, it will look really cool. But heck, a stock-braked WRX with R compound tires will outbrake an STi with stock rubber. Really, tires stop the car. Let's use the R32 for yet another example. Its skidpad is .89 just like the Evo's, vs. .90 for the STi. Yet the STi rides a lot harder, so much so that there are threads on other boards about how to tame the STi's harsh ride. Not so with the R32, which also has more body roll than the STi and Evo. Proving what? That body roll provides precious little indication of handling goodness, if the car's suspension is right. A stock 911 has body roll, too. And that car is so fast and handles so well, it scares me, and I'm very hard to frighten. It's okay to be hard on cars. I rallycrossed the heck out of my WRX. Hard is one thing, which cars can deal with, assuming proper maintenance. The new owner of my WRX wagon loves the car. Abusive is something else, which breaks cars. Water sprayers for the Legacy's super-efficient intercooler isn't necessary. You'll never, short of repeated runs at the drag strip, come close to heat soaking that intercooler. It's an engineering marvel, much more efficient than the STi's IC, as an example. As far as "looks and handling," the two are often exclusive, so again, be careful. Cars look cool with the wheels tucked into the fenders, but they usually ride and handle like crap as a result of this tuckage. This is from drooping links and a radically altered suspension geometry. If you swap wheels, make sure they are significantly lighter than the GT's 18-lb stockers. Otherwise, it's just for looks, without improving the car, except to the ladies and your buds, which will be scant consolation to your AMEX statement. As I said earlier, the GT can benefit from very nice rubber. The stock stuff is nice, not very nice. Good luck, Kevin

[quote name='bolbo']No complaints about the arm rest? I know there is an optional extension but no one has seen it, photographed it, nor can anyone explain precisely how it supplants the new one. Is supplants a word?[/quote] Supplants is a word, though in this case, augments might be a better one for this situation. The arm rest extension is a piece that replaces the current cover with a hinged bit that slides up and forward, allowing the driver a place to rest their right arm. It's a very nice piece, which should be available this month. Kevin

[quote name='gtguy'][quote name='meier motor sports']i think i will add more power in the future. nothin extream proably intake exhaust. im not sure whats all out there. i saw a water sprayer for the inter cooler. maybe something like that. probably ecu upgrades. wheels and tires for looks and handeling. and suspesion upgrades for looks and handeling. as parts wear out i replace with the best i can afford. and i am pretty hard on my cars[/quote] At present, precious little is out there. AVO is about to offer some power upgrades, and ECUTEK has something in the offing, as well. But nothing has been installed, tested, or used very much in the real world. Be very careful with intakes. Turbo Subarus tend not to like them. As regards exhausts, again, be careful. It's easy to make more noise, but not a lot more power. As regards suspension, be VERY careful. There will be lot of stuff out there for the Legacy, as more and more of the kids sign on for 72 or 80-month paper. A lot of it will be junk. Some will be good, precious little will be very good. Very good for me, suspension-wise, is the Porsche 911. Astounding stiction, telepathic handling and exceptional compliance. You can drive a 911 like a Honda Accord. Now, a suspension like that is expensive, and doesn't come stock on a $26K car such as the GT. So the springs are a bit soft. This is a good compromise, as you get the excellent ride quality, and very good handling because of the very fine dampers. To make the Legacy great (and a lot of people won't want to hear this), all you need is a smaller front swaybar (similar to what the SPT kit did for the WRX sedan), springs that are about 20% stiffer with very slight lowering, about 1/2", and a lower front brace (not a strut tower bar). Done. STi has the springs (pink, for you fashion-forward lads), and I would bet the lesser Legacies have a smaller front swaybar than the GT. Nobody sells a lower front brace in this market yet, but I imagine that a good outfit such as Cusco will. I used their brace on my WRX and it was excellent. As far as brakes, the GT comes with 12.4" rotors up front, and 11.4" rotors in back. The STi, with its Brembo package isn't much bigger, and note that size isn't everything, as the VW R32 outbrakes the STi by a car length, without big ol' fancy pants calipers. I would bet that the pad compound is more aggressive. You can add some STi Brembos for about $4,000, but you won't gain much in the braking department. But yes, it will look really cool. But heck, a stock-braked WRX with R compound tires will outbrake an STi with stock rubber. Really, tires stop the car. Let's use the R32 for yet another example. Its skidpad is .89 just like the Evo's, vs. .90 for the STi. Yet the STi rides a lot harder, so much so that there are threads on other boards about how to tame the STi's harsh ride. Not so with the R32, which also has more body roll than the STi and Evo. Proving what? That body roll provides precious little indication of handling goodness, if the car's suspension is right. A stock 911 has body roll, too. And that car is so fast and handles so well, it scares me, and I'm very hard to frighten. It's okay to be hard on cars. I rallycrossed the heck out of my WRX. Hard is one thing, which cars can deal with, assuming proper maintenance. The new owner of my WRX wagon loves the car. Abusive is something else, which breaks cars. Water sprayers for the Legacy's super-efficient intercooler isn't necessary. You'll never, short of repeated runs at the drag strip, come close to heat soaking that intercooler. It's an engineering marvel, much more efficient than the STi's IC, as an example. As far as "looks and handling," the two are often exclusive, so again, be careful. Cars look cool with the wheels tucked into the fenders, but they usually ride and handle like crap as a result of this tuckage. This is from drooping links and a radically altered suspension geometry. If you swap wheels, make sure they are significantly lighter than the GT's 18-lb stockers. Otherwise, it's just for looks, without improving the car, except to the ladies and your buds, which will be scant consolation to your AMEX statement. As I said earlier, the GT can benefit from very nice rubber. The stock stuff is nice, not very nice. Good luck, Kevin[/quote] thats a lot of words to say "its already a good car". but yeah like i said i woulnd do any thing extream like droping it so the wheels are tucked or adding a $4000 breaking system. or big heavy wheels. iv stated that for wheels posibly the stockers painted gray. for suspesion jsut a bit if nesacary at all. and only after owning the car for a few years. i am more of a go type of guy insted of a show type of guy but i want my car to look good going fast. and in later posts im sure i will try to find out about the intake situation. i want to be able to hear the turbo. i dont want the neighbor hood hearing it. jsut when i punch it i want to be able to hear it whine. like music to my ears. and the exhaust. i know cat back systems and mufflers dont typlicly add any significant hp maybe a 2-3 ponnies and u could lose some tq. but i want to be able to hear the exhaust note. i dont wana wake the dead or scream RICE as i speed along. but i also read some where that removing the cats on an sti freed up like 45 hp or something. now i understand with out cats u get stink, check engine lights, and u cant pass emisions, and your killing the environment. so i do research parts before i put them on. im not the type of guy to jsut go to pepboys and throw on some fart can mufflers sticking out at an angel. and with all that said im tired of talking :roll: thanks craig

The weakest part of the car to me is... well it's not a weakness at all. I wanted a sports coupe, and well the Legacy GT Limited fit everything I was looking for except its got four doors. The colors are hard for me to pick one that hits me like "OMG I WANT IT!!!" The regal blue is a good color, and will most likely go with it. The lack of navigation was another weak point for me. The performance and handling on the other hand is absolutely amazing. The seats are extremely comfortable, the digital dual climate control is a great feature, and the USDM radio w/ the subwoofer is ok. The insurance and price of the Legacy is also another great point. I originally wanted an Audi TT, but $42K was excessively expensive and therefore, I won't be getting it. The 350Z is a car that I find to be amazingly good looking, has all the tech toys too that I like, priced right - but doesn't have much cargo room, which is a huge negative for me because I like to take a lot of weekend trips. The G35 coupe's interior turned me off big time, I will spend a lot of time in the interior and don't want to look at something that I don't like. The RX-8 gets god awful gas mileage - I've read owners are averaging between 13 to 15 mpg - yikes!!!!! The Mach 1 Mustang was really cool - sounds awesome, has awesome power, but I found it to be very uncomfortable to drive - and like I said earlier I like taking trips, not to mention some insurance companies wouldn't touch it with a 20 foot pole. The GTO is cool, but with GM releasing it with the LS2 and bodykits for '05 - why get an '04, also I want a new car by the end of this month, the '05's won't come out until December or January. I think I nailed every car I looked at or researched. - Mike

I agree with the side miror nob..I am not to crazy about that. I have noticed some of the stiching in the leather is not straight and looks cheaply done..and the god dang seatbelt beap drives me nutz. Those are things when I think of "Could have been done better" are what come to mind. My personal gripe is with the suspension and the tires. I dislike both of them, and if I stick with the car, I must do something about them. Its just a matter if I spend money on the car now..get a after market suspesion or order Spec-B shocks from Japan...will the 06 model come with those niceties already on them and I just wasted my cash.. But hey..it is a GT car as GT Guy will remind every one.

I don't know why people complain about the stereo, I find it really good. I am really into Home Theater and all too, so I am pretty picky about audio and video things. Maybe people want a huge sub and lots of low end?? but I think the upgraded stereo in the Legacy is perfect, everyone that has riden in my car compliments the stereo. I see no reason to upgrade it unless to get more features like MP3 or XM. Only thing I can really complain about is the 1000 mile breakin :) only 60 more miles to go :) Other then that I have been loving the car, it handles great, can keep up with just about anything on the road, I was driving on the highway with a Carrera and I was keeping up with it the whole time, the guy must have been freaking out seeing some sedan keeping up with him, and I was still keeping it under 4k rpm. Actually I forgot the weakest part is the tires, RE-92's just suck, thats really my only complaint.

[quote name='gtguy'][quote name='bolbo']No complaints about the arm rest? I know there is an optional extension but no one has seen it, photographed it, nor can anyone explain precisely how it supplants the new one. Is supplants a word?[/quote] Supplants is a word, though in this case, augments might be a better one for this situation. The arm rest extension is a piece that replaces the current cover with a hinged bit that slides up and forward, allowing the driver a place to rest their right arm. It's a very nice piece, which should be available this month. Kevin[/quote] I believe 'supplants' (the word I thought it was but was too lazy to check dictionary) would then have been appropriate. If the extension is used in place of the current cover, it both 'supplants' it and augments it. 'Augment', alone, suggests that the original armrest stays intact rather than one piece coming off. But, more importantly, could you tell me if the extension, when in place, has two different modes? That is, does it stay relatively stock looking until you press the button, or whatever, to get it to go higher and forward. My concern is that the extension takes what is now a great looking (but poorly functional) armrest and turns it into something aesthetically out of place, but, indeed, more functional. Thanks in advance

How are you folks dealing with the frameless doors. I'm used to grabbing my door frame to shut my current door. Trying to sample what it would be like in the LGT by shutting my door 'low'. How are you folks adjusting to grabbing the bare window or the low door (if window is down). Thanks in advance.

Regarding the doors, since I had a WRX I was already used to the frameless doors. But they are actually very nice. They are light, yet feel solid, and you just have to clsoe the door my using the lower part of the window or the top part of the door. Its not hard, and you will get used to it right away. I actually like the doors this way vs. the framed door design.

The only problem with frameless doors is when you rent a car with a frame around the door, and you open the door with the window down, you almost knock your fool head off, because you're used to standing a lot closer to your Subaru, because of the frameless windows. As usual, don't ask me how I know this... :lol: Kevin

[quote name='bolbo'] could you tell me if the extension, when in place, has two different modes? That is, does it stay relatively stock looking until you press the button, or whatever, to get it to go higher and forward. [/quote] Yes, that exactly how it is. I saw one in outback xt (chicago auto show). I found it to be perfect fit for me, and will be geting one as soon as it's available. You can see what it looks like [url]http://www.subaruwrxparts.com/05legacy.html[/url]

[quote name='gtguy']The only problem with frameless doors is when you rent a car with a frame around the door, and you open the door with the window down, you almost knock your fool head off, because you're used to standing a lot closer to your Subaru, because of the frameless windows. As usual, don't ask me how I know this... :lol: Kevin[/quote] So true, I have done that atleast once when renting a car :)

Maybe it's just me, but in my humble opinion, the interior leaves much to be desired. The center console couldn't look any cheaper than it does, and the instrument cluster looks too 'flimsy' to me. The glow behind the dashboard LEDs looks blurry and muted, and the plastic surrounding the stereo and climate control area is fit for a boombox, not a $30k car. I like the car a lot, but i'm disappointed with the interior.

Have a 2.5i Limited wagon with manual trans. Just returned from a trip Pgh to Baltimore. Love the car, but its not perfect and some of the improvements would cost nothing (if Subaru did them to start with). Good points - gas milage (got about 32-33 mpg on highway) - quiet, solid feel, smooth engine - gear shift action is nice - clutch action, starting out is easy / smooth (much better than a V6 Camery I have driven, almost as easy as my TT) - steering is nice, little slow but tracks well straight and in curves - power is good (not turbo GT, but adequate for my use) - handling is good except for weak shocks Weak points - interior lighting is not adequate; should turn on the front center ceiling lights when you open the door. The lights on the doors are adequate for entry, but the inside is too dark. The front ceiling interior lights through enough light but they seem to be only manually controlled. There is a ceiling light in the back that is auto, but with the large sun roof, it is too far back for the front seat area. - I continue to get an anoying surge when driving down hill both with and without cruse control, either get too much or too little throttle. - shocks are too weak. - had trouble getting comfortable in seat, lower back issue; after several hours of playing with adjustments seem to have found good settings, but need another test to be sure. - engine rpm decreases too slowly for fast shifting, OK for average / slow shifts. Best can do is quickly take foot completely off the gas, shift, let out clutch and then apply gas. Works pretty well but really exercises my foot. - trip computer calculator is not well set up. MPG tends not to change and then jumps up / down by .2 - .5 mpg even with tank < 1/2 full. Distance to empty uses 10 mi increments. My TT does same thing. Have had two Dodge minivans and both did a much better job of tracking mpg as well as distance to empty.

Archived