LegacyGT.com

For those that thought they would install the factory NAV...

Opie

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a Gramin 2720 that's been great. But I drive a lot of different vehicles and occasionally rent.

It's awesome to get into a rental at an unfamiliar airport, and punch go-to the addresses you plugged in before you left!

Who Dares Wins

スバル

• 3 months later...

Personally I love the nav unit. I use it nearly every day. It was easy to learn and operate and works well. The only thing I wish they would have included was a temporary mute command. Whenever I get a phone call or need to talk to someoene or something important is on the radio I would like to shut her off temporarily so I can do my thing. The only way I've seen to do that is to turn off the map. (No good) Cancel the route (no good) or go through all the menus until you get to volume then turn it all the way down (still no good)

If anyone has another idea let me know but that's my only complaint.

It also does a lot of nice things specific to the car that you wouldnt' get with an aftermarket unit including the trip computer and gauges. The video would have been cool but I don't like relying on those types of things they can be deceiving plus the least number of holes in my car the better.

I love the NO key hole for the trunk thing. VERY CLEAN and you don't have to worry about people tryign to pry it open with a screwdriver which was popular for the mustangs I used to drive.

Lastly, does anyonne know where I can get an updated map for the DVD Nav system. I mean it is a 2004 DVD map model and its alreadly outdated and I've only had the car for two months.

Thanks

OH and are you telling the the GT head unit doesn't come with MP3? What a joke? why would they make that different for the spec b. ... that's not cool.

What's crazier, is that even at RETAIL price (the most expensive), the difference between the two units as replacement parts is only $50. So it's costing Subaru maybe an extra $5-10 MAX to add it to the Spec.B and VDC units.

I researched for months trying to figure out a conversion for my 05 LGT to factory NAV unit and was sadly dissapointed :(

Decided to go with the Garmin Nuvi 350 instead and have been extremely happy with the results. Priced at around $800 dollars the price hits you at first but you'll soon realize you've made a sound investment...especially if you travel/relocate a lot like me.

I'm still on the prowl for a software hack to enable me to watch movies/tv clips on it since it does except removable media cards.

Go with the Nuvi 350. You won't be dissapointed. PM me for any questions.

i have no 1st hand exp. with subaru's nav system, but from what i have seen in brochures and on the internet, it looks unimpressive both in looks and features, and seemingly pales in comparison to others i have seen in hondas, acuras and lexus(es)

'

I agree.

I tried it out at the stealership and was unimpressed

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

I researched for months trying to figure out a conversion for my 05 LGT to factory NAV unit and was sadly dissapointed :(

Decided to go with the Garmin Nuvi 350 instead and have been extremely happy with the results. Priced at around $800 dollars the price hits you at first but you'll soon realize you've made a sound investment...especially if you travel/relocate a lot like me.

I'm still on the prowl for a software hack to enable me to watch movies/tv clips on it since it does except removable media cards.

Go with the Nuvi 350. You won't be dissapointed. PM me for any questions.

did you install it in the cubby, or stick it up on the dash??

• 2 weeks later...
did you install it in the cubby, or stick it up on the dash??

It's small enough to where I stick it up on the windshield and it doesn't block my view of the road and is still comfortably viewable.

I've seen the "cubby-hole" install someone else on this forum did and I was very impressed but haven't had the time to hack my dash yet.

Anyone looking at SATNAV devices should really give the Nuvi350 a second look.

• 6 months later...
I ended up getting a factory Nav system. The way I did it was pricey, but pretty simple. I got one wrapped in a Outback XT Ltd. Now I just have to figure out how to get rid of the annoying little 'EULA' screen each time I start the car (among other things).

• 4 years later...

I have an 08 XT Limited (automatic) Navigation was offered as an option on my car.

If I wanted to buy a used nav system from someone would it be plug-nplay or would i need harnesses... i did look under the passenger seat and noticed a little white connector that is not being used... not sure if that is anything to do with the nav though :?

I have an 08 XT Limited (automatic) Navigation was offered as an option on my car.

If I wanted to buy a used nav system from someone would it be plug-nplay or would i need harnesses... i did look under the passenger seat and noticed a little white connector that is not being used... not sure if that is anything to do with the nav though :?

In theory yes its plug and play. At most you would need to cable that goes from the dvd drive to the screen along with the antenna. Though pop out the cubby and or radio and look for two black plugs. One should have 20 pins the other 24 pins, or something close to there.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

• 1 month later...

ok I can confirm for 100% certainty that no model is prewierd for nav

the installation for the most part is not hard

4 wires can be used directly from the clock harness.

the problem that im running in to is tapping in to the 2 CAN BUS weirs. I have the MID so my only option is to get them from the back of the gauge cluster..

only problem is I can not figure out how to remove the gauge cluster... there is a screw in the top but it seems like something is attached from the bottom :(

n

• 11 months later...

Hi, I was wondering if any of you succeeded getting the wiring done for the navigation unit. I have a 2005 OBXT and just got a European navigation unit from a legacy GT (screen and DVD player unit) and have been trying to find a way to rewire both. Do you by any chance have a diagram that would show that? Also, have you succeeded at showing all data on the nav unit such as mpg, time, temperature, etc. Also, when I disconnected the original display the airbag light came on. Is there a way to go around that?

Thank you in advance!

• 1 year later...
Isn't the Subaru navigation system voice-controlled? In this lawsuit-obsessed world, I think that voice operation would be included as one of the most important features.

I just installed my AVIC-N2 2 days ago, and I'm still trying to learn all of the voice commands. There are so many commands that I'm usually tempted to just use the touchscreen instead.

Old bumpity but others may find it useful. The voice control unit model number is KNA-VC300. Good luck finding one at this point.

My stock Nav (08 gt) isn't cutting it anymore. I'm kind of stuck though. Because I already have the Nav system built in, AND a stock 6 disc cd changer, does anyone know what I'm looking at to try and either update my Nav unit or just replace it entirely?

I'd hate to lose my 6dsc changer. If I cannot update my stock Nav however I'm planning to go big or go home. Been looking for a good Nav/music/DVD unit that will display diagnostics. Something that connects into my obd2.

Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated.

you can custom fab up where your stock navi is to fit an aftermarket navi. It's been done a lot on here. As for what you are looking for specifically wise I have yet to see one that hooks into OBD2.

http://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholesale/Car_DVD_Players/1_DIN_Car_DVD_Player/Road_Caiman_7_Inch_Touchscreen_Car_DVD_1DIN_GPS_DVB-T_OBD-II_Diagnostics

I've since found a double din(I believe it's called) or solid in dash monitor not motorized. I am just curious how far I can push the obd2 mod. My main concern is if I can take the stock Nav out and put a new system in...if it also does the job of a radio DVD and what not, will my stock in dash 6 disc changer still be able to function with the new rack?

Furthermore..I feel I like this is going to turn in to a rather expensive custom dash job..otherwise I'm going to have a lot of buttons on my center console that don't do a thing hah..hm..

Well there is 1 ways to go about this. Make it your primary system(stock radio still there just not used) or get a harness and wire up both the DVD and OEM headunit so you can use either or. Another possiblity to look into if you are going the route of replacing your OEM NAVI is the JDM dual din mod. It might be a cheaper route. Plus this way you can use the OEM NAVI still and just end up replacing you OEM Headunit with an in dash Navi unit. This way you don't loose your goodies from the OEM NAVI.

Archived