LegacyGT.com

EB's Subaru journal - 2005 LegacyGT wagon & 2014 Forester FB25 (08 specB - RIP)

BoozeRS05

Yeah. Picking which window to smash was on my short list of options.

Not much to report for updates. I dressed up my engine bay a bit - TS radiator mounts, JDM PS cover, random hardware replacement, trimmed the engine cover a bit more and cleaned up. Hadn’t taken off my radiator shroud in awhile and it was pretty nasty under there.

I have been going over all the trim with Mother’s back to black too, and going to freshly coat the undercarriage with Fluid Film soon.

94AD3949-DC2E-47F8-8ABA-3B1290E4974E.jpeg

• Like 2

On 3/29/2023 at 9:40 AM, BoozeRS05 said:

Yeah. Picking which window to smash was on my short list of options.

Not much to report for updates. I dressed up my engine bay a bit - TS radiator mounts, JDM PS cover, random hardware replacement, trimmed the engine cover a bit more and cleaned up. Hadn’t taken off my radiator shroud in awhile and it was pretty nasty under there.

I have been going over all the trim with Mother’s back to black too, and going to freshly coat the undercarriage with Fluid Film soon.

94AD3949-DC2E-47F8-8ABA-3B1290E4974E.jpeg

Looking good Booze! Unless you look really close, or saw it before, you wouldn’t guess that PS cover had a *oh-so-slight* blemish in it…🤣🤣🤣🤣 Glad it ended up in someone’s engine bay rather than the trash can! 

Got the TS rad hold downs too, way better than the OEM stamped pieces. It’s subtle but makes a difference. Also need to check out that back to black, looking super clean! 

• Like 1

Sent samples to Blackstone Labs for both my vehicles recently. Both came back with good grades.

LGT didn’t see more than 2250 miles this year, but I changed the oil anyway. It’s weeping oil from everywhere and I’m really undecided what to do with the motor since it seems to be in great shape otherwise.

My fb25 is leaking oil from the valve cover and I’ve heard it’s not such a simple/cheap job. I might send it to the dealership anyway and eat the cost to have it done right. It’s been a great daily and it’s in great shape, note’s just about paid on it. I’ll keep it for awhile I think.

49000A0A-DE45-473C-B236-3A85821792DC.jpeg

A9908EB0-7BA7-41C2-86B3-3C1A08E784A2.jpeg

• Like 1

200k w an engine bay you can eat off of. Love it. What steering wheel is that, Booze? Damd round one? Looks similar dimensions to my ZeroSports but I don’t see a logo. Like the lack of buttons/distractions on the wheel w a dialed in dash. Keep on keepin on!

Thanks bro!

Steering wheel is I think from an 08 STi, bought it from another member here and he wasn’t sure. I haven’t seen many like it bc of the blank/black trim pieces, but I really like it too. Much better condition than my OE momo wheel. Had to trim the back cover to fit cruise control, but easy fix 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Little update to my wagon.

I’ve contacted a local shop who’s given me a quote for an extensive list of repairs. I’ve been on the fence about whether I should take on this project myself or send it out, and I’ve concluded that I’d rather not try to do it myself.

My current motor has 200k miles, but it compression tested at 150psi/cylinder at 175k miles, and I have 10 years of UOAs without any warning signs. I have a slightly used EJ257 short block and spare B25 heads that need rebuilt, but I think I’m going to let the OE motor ride with this list of repairs:

Full motor reseal - head gasket, valve cover, rear main, cam seals, TV gaskets, etc. - Master gasket set to be provided

PCV assembly and breather hoses - most to be provided

Oil pan - new pan to be provided, basic reseal

Motor mounts - to be provided

Timing belt, pulleys and tensioner - to be provided, approx 14k miles on slightly used equipment

Clutch - to be provided with new OEM TOB

Turbo - to be provided

Uppipe - to be provided. All manifold gasket should be nearly new, some are Grimmspeed

New side feed iniectors to be provided

Water pump and Oil pump on hand if needed 

I’m looking at approx $2250 for the labor, and I’m providing all the parts. The shop I’ve spoken to seems like they are very capable, Subaru master mechanic. Any thoughts or opinions are welcome. 

• Like 2

Smart move. I’m sure it’d be a great learning experience, but if you want to just enjoy the car, just be one and done, esp if you don’t have the space/resources for this. That’s a pretty good price too, for the labor involved. Any machining with the head work involved? Keep us posted with progress. 

• Like 1

A man, a plan, a canal, Panama. Take out the commas and it’s the same front to back. Sounds solid. None but your knuckles will know who did the work. And it’ll save you the pauses. 

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, SoobyDoobyDoo said:

Any machining with the head work involved? Keep us posted with progress. 

They’re going to check the heads and make adjustments if necessary, but we’re not too worried about them. Rarely get misfires and I replaced the oil control valves with a lightly used set of OEM units awhile ago, VVT has always been spot on.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty off-topic, but I replaced the rear door on my Forester yesterday. Gonna do the front door another time, have to remove the bumper and fender. Some lady backed into my car around thanksgiving, and I grabbed a nice set of silver passenger doors at a local junk yard. The $2k I’m saving from the insurance will just about cover my wagon repairs, which is wonderful.

Also I went to a gathering with my GF last night and her friend has a little garage. He let me drive his M3 s65, and then his STi typeRA, which is track prepped. The M3 was amazing. The STi was a monster. Great experience 

IMG_5412.jpeg

IMG_5411.jpeg

IMG_5410.jpeg

• Like 6

The damage wasn’t too bad, she just brushed into me as she was backing up. I’m not going to fix the fender, the car has 184k miles and some scars are acceptable to me. The damage was estimated around $3k and the doors were $1k.

IMG_5414.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...