LegacyGT.com

Wider wheels vs. wheel spacers

Boxkita was recently talking about this and went down from extra wide stuff to a 17x8 with 235 I believe as that was actually faster than going crazy.

If you're looking handling not aesthetics. Can't see any good reason to just get wheels spacers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

can you explain why you would even bother with spacers? what are you trying to do? widen the track? fit wider tires?
Widen the track. Just curious to see if any gains from a wider wheel might be offset by heavier tires and wheel. Or maybe any gains from a wider stance from spacer would be offset by a narrow surface for traction.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boxkita was recently talking about this and went down from extra wide stuff to a 17x8 with 235 I believe as that was actually faster than going crazy.

If you're looking handling not aesthetics. Can't see any good reason to just get wheels spacers.

Thanks, I was looking through the treads and couldn't find anything. Good to know. I figured in doing them in stages. Spacers first, because affordability, and then to wider wheels.

I think it was in the daily thread maybe a week back that they were discussing wheel size vs tire width. Boxkita had 275 on I think 9.5. There's a picture in the meaty tire thread I think.

I don't actually race so I'm just spouting things I've read. The outback actually has wheels that are pushed out something like 8mm to fill in the wheel wells with the fake flares, but you'll gain infinitely more from a good alignment, practice, and replacing any worn out bushings, which are all cheap. Next step is new tires.

With wheels, weight seems to be more important than width.

I really thought about going 17x8 with a 235, but there is a set of enkie's that are about to come out in an 18x8 and they are so sick looking. I also found some forged BBS 15.1 pound wheels in 17x7, but my pockets keep giving me that look as if I am stupid :lol:.

spacers are generally a bad idea. the right wheel width, offset and tire size will always be the right way to go for an upgrade path.

Pretty much what I was told back when I began playing with cars about 1973.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Widen the track. Just curious to see if any gains from a wider wheel might be offset by heavier tires and wheel. Or maybe any gains from a wider stance from spacer would be offset by a narrow surface for traction.

Like said, the proper wheel fitment will be better than the spacer. But to further answer your question, the performance of the wider tire and wheel is very variable because wheels and tires vary so much in weight and performance plus considering how the car is actually going to make use of that wider tire and weight difference... Just because you have 9+ wide wheels on a GT doesn’t mean it’s going to be better on the track than another GT with 7 wide wheels and vice versa. It’s not really something you can answer unless you test it yourself apples to apples on the track on the same day with similar conditions.

IMO if this is a DD don't put extra stress on the wheel bearings.

whitetiger will have all the answers you need contact him.

Definitely understand how adding any extra weight to the wheel hub could put stress on the wheel bearings. Wonder if there are people that have done this that have had shorter life on their bearings.

Definitely understand how adding any extra weight to the wheel hub could put stress on the wheel bearings. Wonder if there are people that have done this that have had shorter life on their bearings.

It's not the extra weight so much as it is the additional leverage a wider wheel can create. You space that force further away from the wheel bearing, and the axial force into the bearing is gonna increase.

So I'm assuming spacers are merely for cosmetic purposes?

no, they do have a functional purpose, but its usually a last option scenario. in the case where you cant get a rim/tire combo that gets you what you want, particularly in Motorsports applications, spacers can get you the fitment you need. in the case of a daily driven car though, where there are a plethora of wheels and tire sizes that will work, spacers are not optimal.

subaru bearings are know for being weak even without the extra stress.

Saabaru is detailing doing that, but I think most of us just moved to quality aftermarket.

If I understand, the sti bearings would require a different axle.

Suggestions for good bearings?