LegacyGT.com

Cubby tablet uses

I was originally planning on throwing a tablet in the cubby like I did with my last car but that was before all this android auto stuff was where it's at now...

After installing a JDM double din with a nice stereo I find I don't really need a tablet up in the cubby for nav or entertainment. I have a bezel and tablet ready to go I can root and put in but other than maybe simulated guages, what would you run on there?

Are there any other good ideas other than guages to put in the cubby instead of the tablet?

I'm working on this as well, I got a Windows tablet so that I can use romraider and running software which is way better than any of the apps that show gauges. I was having a problem when it was installed that it wasn't charging and ended up dying. Idk if that is because the cable or charger doesn't flow enough power to charge the tablet, but maybe someone can answer that here.

Chances are that's exactly what's happening, your charger base or your cable isn't allowing enough current to the tablet OR the source isn't providing enough power (cigarette lighter?). If that's the case you can wire a hard line from, for example, a fuse tap for the power source. That would probably give you enough. When I did my last one I had a bus bar that was wired directly to the battery that I used to power the tablet and some other accessories such as guages, lights, etc. I wired a SPDT relay triggered by the ACC fuse tap to turn on the bus bar when the car came on.

WRT romraider etc, I feel like if all I'm going to use it for is performance monitoring, maybe I should just get some cubby guages instead but I'm not that familiar with the romraider/btssm stuff.

This is something I've been debating on. With modern phones and head units, I don't think car pcs have as much appeal anymore. I can't think of anything other than using gauges and if you always had romraider that could be kinda cool but I can't see that being super helpful unless you dd a highly modded car.

I'm thinking of just getting a cubby pod and putting a boost and oil pressure gauge in it, but I will say if I already had all the tablet stuff, well gauges aren't exactly cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a way to get oil pressure and oil temperature on BTSSM? Are there sending units that are Bluetooth? Just curious...

I was looking at gauges lately and I will be in about $500 for a triple gauge setup. I want boost, oil pressure and oil temp. I wish I would have splurged for the STI set that was on here last month.

Btssm can only do what you're vehicle can already read. We don't have oil temp or pressure readers so btssm can't report that. I'm not certain though if you can get a sender that would work. I highly doubt there are any Bluetooth ones, but if you get one that can be read through the obd port maybe.

I think mechanical guages might be the way to go for me. I got a free Samsung A8 with data when I renewed my phone I was going to set up for the cubby spot. It just happens to be a perfect fit for the larger JDM cubby which is why I was thinking of putting it in there. Going to play with it over the holidays and maybe sell the whole setup in January if it's not doing it for me. Also have a backup smaller nexus 7 bezel from my old car if the Samsung can't be rooted. It just seems to me it would be a waste putting a data enabled tablet in there

i-img1200x900-1574158950ixcq5d72019.thumb.jpg.a0366bc936f8123dc9b3e8657aa53cd3.jpg

Is there a way to get oil pressure and oil temperature on BTSSM? Are there sending units that are Bluetooth? Just curious...

I was looking at gauges lately and I will be in about $500 for a triple gauge setup. I want boost, oil pressure and oil temp. I wish I would have splurged for the STI set that was on here last month.

I have Oil Pressure and Wideband in BtSSM, just reused the TGV sensor inputs. I did the TGV delete just to free those two up. You can also use the EGT input if you have an aftermarket up-pipe.

I use my Nexus for BtSSM primarily, but also use it as Nav or movies to listen to on long drives.

I stand corrected. I have those spots open as well so that's good to know. I haven't had much chance to play with things yet.

Does anyone have the dimensions? The fire 7 is real cheap and if it fits that would be much cheaper than gauges.

I'm trying NOT to do that with my sunglasses so I don't get used to it. Although I do it all the time.

Do they have any head units that run open source android? Friggin car companies always wanting to do proprietary stuff.

I'm trying NOT to do that with my sunglasses so I don't get used to it. Although I do it all the time.

Do they have any head units that run open source android? Friggin car companies always wanting to do proprietary stuff.

I've yet to see a good off the shelf option, but admittedly i haven't looked in a couple months.

Last time I looked people were having to modify the head unit. Adding active cooling or other things that are above my pay grade.

• 2 weeks later...

So after all this I'm trying to add a lot of bells and whistles to a rebuilt spec b in the future. I am still leaning towards the car PC option. Maybe behind the dash or trunk mounting it somewhere in a fanless mini itx enclosure then running display cable to the front of the car with a dedicated monitor, either Xenarc or Beeteonics make great touch screens. Could probably run dual monitors, one in the double din trim location and another in the cubby/nav location. Would probably want a fanless graphics card to go with it though.

I'd already experimented by buying a vagcom KKL cable and it seemed like after installing the drivers that came with the cable I was up and running on Windows 10 laptop with open SSM. I'm not sure it has ECU flashing capability but it was able to log just about anything. Hadnt gotten romraider working yet because of the specific java runtime yet.

Just wondering if there was just some sort of front end customizable graphic display similar to BTSSM gauges for PC side or I could just run some sort of Android emulator and that app. Of course then I would probably split my OBD and feed it to the car PC as well.

Wanted to add other things in the future like backup cam dash cam etc and it seems like xenarc displays has some out of the box solutions for that too, but again probably achievable with a car PC and the right front end software. Also maybe a vehicle recovery system with a standalone GPS like a linxup. If I could somehow only pay for one data plan to cover all that that would be awesome too. Not sure how that would work though.

Again there is a pretty pricey Kenwood that could probably cover most the bases with Android Auto but I still like the idea of having offline maps and GPS for mountain road trips etc. Also I would like to have free reign over the display customizable more so with a car PC.

Edited by SpecDubC

Just found these other similar links on sourceforge when looking up the free ssm which also hasn't been updated since 2014 and it seems their website is down.

Graphical display of gauges in Windows

https://sourceforge.net/projects/selectmonitor/

Russian virtual dash for car pc... I can't read it.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vdfcp/

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Using windows on a small screen has always been the one downside to carpc’s. A 7-8 inch display just doesn't have enough real estate to function well with a touchscreen.

I'm in the process of moving from a Nexus 7 to a Latte Panda using their 7inch touch screen. Thought I might be able to cope with just the touch screen but it leaves a lot to be desired when having to use the windows on display keyboard. I've since purchased a Mokibo keyboard as a trial for a small-ish keyboard/touchpad combo to live in the glovebox for when more than opening and closing apps, maybe navigation, is needed.

I'll be using Realdash or my aftermarket ECU software. For a factory ECU car it's still super hard to look past the usability of Android with custom roms.

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness