LegacyGT.com

SO you spend 5k modding your car, whats your kid sitting in, in the back seat?

RaceComp Engineering

No, cheaper doesn't mean less safe, but the recaro start also provides loads of comfort and adjustability beyond that of a 1/8" foam over plastic seat. The other nice features are that it has a slim profile so putting them next to other seats is easy and unlike most booster style seats, has working seatbelt locks. And the adjustablility range is limitless. Thigh support moves in and out, back goes up and down, and shoulder wings move in and out. I would buy it again in a heartbeat. Did I mention the built in speakers?

Those Recaros are nice. Cheaper ($49) doesn't necessarily mean less safe though. My son's Graco installed simply and has great safety ratings.
Food for thought. The 50.00 Graco passes the exact same DOT crash test as the 250.00 Britax, or the Recaro for that matter. The difference isn't going to be made in the car seat you buy (assuming it's in good shape and not defective) but in the installation. Do some research, ask some questions. Get the one that you think you can install the best, or fits your car the best.

I have installed close to 500 car seats in the last couple of years at work, and have seen the benefits of a properly installed car seat. If I was at home I could post the pics of a rollover where the 3 year-old was dangling upside down upon arrival, but the seat was solid in the car. The child was completely untouched, despite the hundred or so CDs (missiles) rolling around in the car from her young mother. Mom was transported with a broken pelvis BTW. We had installed her seat a month prior.

Some local fire departments or police departments will install these seats for free. I at least know VA has this program, specifically Loudoun County.

Read the directions, put it in right, mail in the warranty card (so they know how to contact you if it is recalled), make sure the child is in there snug (one finger's width between baby and strap), and minimize the missiles in your car in the case of a rollover.

And for what it's worth, Britax and Primo Viggio or whatever are very difficult to install properly. Graco, Evenflo, Cosco, and Century are all great seats for a reasonable price and easy to install properly.

Sorry for the long rant, but this is a subject that is widely debated within my department.

• 2 weeks later...
Ah, isn't an 8 year old gonna feel like an asshole in a child seat and get out of it as soon as the parent gets in the front? I don't know many kids above the age of 4 that would stand for the whole carseat thing any longer. Maybe you'll start a new safety trend. Trick it out with a Nintendo Double Screen, or a PSP and you'll have kids saying More Ovaltine Please.. I mean More (Insert your products name here) Please!!!

This weekend he moved into a Britax Marathon rear facing. My question now is how in the hell does Britax expect you to get him in and out around the overhead latch strap? The car seat is stable but it appears that it will also be very difficult to deal with until he sits forward facing.

Looks like you're using the Australian method. Try the Swedish method. Take the extra piece of belt they give you and loop it through itself on the front seat track. Attach the Versa-Tether to that. You will be able to get the baby in and out without any problems.

• 1 month later...

I've had this seat in my Evo for over a year. My daughter loves it and it won't need an upgrade. In NJ it's 8 years or 80lbs, whichever comes first. I have the speaker setup in the headrest with a dual zone aftermarket head unit. She gets to listen to her CD while I listen to Satellite radio or vice versa. I am very happy with it.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...
HOW MUCH! those are freakin awesome. Sorry to bring back a dead thread...somewhat dead.

But those are niiiiiice. Im gonna order 2 very soon!

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26814

Here is a link to our for sale thread!

We also have them on our sister stie

www.gtworx.com

http://gtworx.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=200_201

~Kelly

Food for thought. The 50.00 Graco passes the exact same DOT crash test as the 250.00 Britax, or the Recaro for that matter. The difference isn't going to be made in the car seat you buy (assuming it's in good shape and not defective) but in the installation. Do some research, ask some questions. Get the one that you think you can install the best, or fits your car the best.

I have installed close to 500 car seats in the last couple of years at work, and have seen the benefits of a properly installed car seat. If I was at home I could post the pics of a rollover where the 3 year-old was dangling upside down upon arrival, but the seat was solid in the car. The child was completely untouched, despite the hundred or so CDs (missiles) rolling around in the car from her young mother. Mom was transported with a broken pelvis BTW. We had installed her seat a month prior.

Some local fire departments or police departments will install these seats for free. I at least know VA has this program, specifically Loudoun County.

Read the directions, put it in right, mail in the warranty card (so they know how to contact you if it is recalled), make sure the child is in there snug (one finger's width between baby and strap), and minimize the missiles in your car in the case of a rollover.

And for what it's worth, Britax and Primo Viggio or whatever are very difficult to install properly. Graco, Evenflo, Cosco, and Century are all great seats for a reasonable price and easy to install properly.

Sorry for the long rant, but this is a subject that is widely debated within my department.

Don't apologize for the info you're providing. Car seats have been a big issue with me since before my daughter was born. She's had a couple of Britax toddler seats, a Graco (I think) infant (rear facing) seat, and now has two seats from different ends of the $$ spectrum.

She has the Recaro, which used to stay in my car all the time, but now lives in Mommy's car because my daughter likes it better than the other booster we have. The other one is by Compass, and passes all the same tests but was only $79 or $89.

But please let me say this: Just because both seats PASS the same test doesn't mean that they are equally safe. Given proper installation (about which I am obsessive), I feel that the Recaro can provide some protection that the Compass can not. I still feel that she is safe in the Compass, just not AS safe as she is in the Recaro. (End of my little rant, thanks.)

SO... above all, make sure you get a seat that meets or exceeds the minimum requirements, and for goodness sake, get professional help installing it!!!!! I've had pros help with almost every initial seat install for our daughter, and it was worth it!

^ so wrong, but so funny.

my wife's early valentine's day gift to me .....

http://carpron.com/multisite/d/58719-1/DSC03796_001.JPG

cheapos have the cert stickers ....... the recaro has a card with the %'s that it exceeded the certification by. there is no frickin way this thing isn't better for side impact than the less expensive seats we have in both vehicles atm.

HOW MUCH! ///

Three models listed $150, $250, $350. Certainly a lot better looking than most.

In a Consumer Reports eval 5/5 the START ($350) high back booster did well, almost as well as the Britax and Graco seats. But they do seem to have a lot more lateral support and protection than the $50-$150 Graco or Britax models, which may not have figured into their ratings.

The question of what tests are run and to what standards is significant. We provide design support for a manufacturer and their products in Europe are completely different.

And CJK911 makes a very, very important point about proper installation. If you have an older Subaru wagon in the US, you have to buy the tether anchors - they come standard on the Canadian models.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

• 2 weeks later...
I've had this seat in my Evo for over a year. My daughter loves it and it won't need an upgrade. In NJ it's 8 years or 80lbs, whichever comes first. I have the speaker setup in the headrest with a dual zone aftermarket head unit. She gets to listen to her CD while I listen to Satellite radio or vice versa. I am very happy with it.

Bill

Dude...that is awesome! :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived