LegacyGT.com

short block info?

Without asking you to go into a dissertation but, feel free if you are inclined. ;)

What is the conventional wisdon about say, a Outfront grocery getter 257 vs. a OEM 257? They are about the same price. I'd be inclined to choose the forged pistons but, I don't know the ramifications of a used case.

Thanks for your expertise.

I don't think there's any reason to go overboard for a stage 2 build. Forged internals are going to mean a little more noise, longer warm-up times when it's cold out, and no guaranteed longevity. It's really hard to tell based on internet reviews, some guys run built blocks for 50k+ without issues, some have them blow up before 10k.

The OEM block can and will last 200k if taken care of properly, and shouldn't be overstressed running stage 2 with a good tune.

This and the piston updates shown above are why I went with the "updated" EJ257 (Type RA) block, but that's just my 2 cents.

I guess you have not seen the click here link in my sig.

the ej257 is all you need with a great tune.

I have 127,000 trouble free miles on the ej257.

Oh, I guess you may have not been back to this thread, where you kind of asked the same thing the other day.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/turboi-wiki-twist-178684p5.html

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I feel if your staying around 300 ‘ish HP to the wheels, which is a typical Stage 2 build, then it’s probably not worth spending the extra scratch for an Outfront block. Their stuff is super nice for sure but I feel a factory built and spec’d block can more than handle Stage 2 power as many of us on here have proved in our own cars. It’s crap tunes and crap maintenance that kills these motors at Stg 2, not the bump in power. A new shortblock from Heubergers in Colorado, $1900 shipped to your door with (properly) rebuilt heads, and (properly) assembled, with a good tune, is a great recipe for durable, hassle free longevity. Not that the Outfront block is going to fail on you but I’d venture to guess that it’s going to wear out quicker down the road due to the forged pistons. I had this same decision to make on my GT wagon when I finally popped a ringland after many years of daily use coupled with driving the piss out of it on track. Because I thought I’d be driving it some on public roads, the occasional weekend toss in the country, etc, I didn’t want the accelerated wear that occurs with forged pistons. Since the forged 2618 alloy has more expansion (but can take more abuse) you have to run fatter piston to wall clearances to allow for that. A daily driven car is getting that up/down expansion a lot more than a track car. I opted for the middle way and went with Rallispecs Street Value forged block which uses Cosworth 4032 alloy. It doesn’t expand as much as 2618 so you can run closer to factory Spec piston to wall clearances, (but can’t take quite as much abuse as 2618). As it turns out I rarely drive the GT wagon for a weekend toss and pretty much just drive it to the track and home :)

I guess you have not seen the click here link in my sig.

the ej257 is all you need with a great tune.

I have 127,000 trouble free miles on the ej257.

Oh, I guess you may have not been back to this thread, where you kind of asked the same thing the other day.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/turboi-wiki-twist-178684p5.html

Try to understand, to the uninitiated, this is like calling back to the Nebuchadnezzar "Trinity, give me Suburu mods". I really appreciate you calling attention to these pieces of information. I learn quickly, you won't have to babysit for long.

I am going to take the advice and formulate a plan rather than "get a bunch of random parts and ask the tuner to make it work".

I'll start a thread listing all I have and all I'm considering, then change it completely after the brain trust disabuses me of the assumptions ;)

I'd did notice theres a cool grand between the stock ej257 and the grocery getter that I mistakenly thought was equivalent. That's not chicken scratch.