LegacyGT.com

5EAT brake-torque launch vs. 5MT launch

If you search my posts, you'll see I am notorious for laying into people about driving like a jackass around other people and/or pedestrians.

I guess I should have put a smiley in my post as your sarcasm detector is broken.

• 3 years later...

So, what exactly fails on these 5EAT's?

Outside of creating a little bit of heat with the TC slipping (trans temp gauge can fix that - this way you know exactly what's going on), that's about it eh?

We have problems braking input shafts, intermediates, and outputs as well (4x4 boost launch on turbo diesels).

BANNED FROM THE TIKI FORUM. :lol:

The one thing i worry about on the 5EAT is how does the differential hold up... i would imagine that there is a ton of stress with the engine putting power down and the wheels not turning.... I dont know all that much about it... more curious than not i guess....

I would imagine whatever part that prevents the tranny from snapping any shafts takes the most wear. Something in there has to prevent the output shaft from applying full power since you have the brakes pretty much preventing what the tranny wants to be doing in the first place.

+1 and so far the only one we have seen success with because IPT uses it. Outside of that, use OEM and don't risk running an out of spec ATF that will ruin your 5EAT

Good luck finding a local shop that will do an Amsoil flush for you because that's exactly what you'll need. Doing drains is not a good idea since you will be mixing in a different spec/formulation ATF with old ATF.

I'm glad this thread got revived because I did my first torque brake launches sometime 2 weeks ago and it was intense. It was the first time I managed to get the car to rev up to 3K. It definitely does not want to go above that. I'm much too affraid to break stuff so I won't be doing this much, if ever. I have a tranny cooler, IPT valve body and a stiff tranny mount.

Well, I mean, outside of generating some heat and raising the temperature of the ATF, there's not enough of a load to actually snap input shafts, intermediates, or outputs. The R&P sure as heck won't blow up, as a slow static load (ie not a shock load) will not break a heat treated part. CV's are not moving, so chances of that breaking is slim.

So, all that's happening is that the TC is slipping, thus generating HEAT, and not a whole lot else. I mean, you can safely run up to 190F on ATF, with excursions up to 210 if need be. With high temps, that just breaks down the fluid, and if you change it out soon, the temporary lower viscosity is not going to damage tranny....

Yes, you can run an aux tranny cooler, but it ain't doin't sht when you're doing a brake stand on the line. The fluid STILL gets hot, you're just cooling it down faster...

BANNED FROM THE TIKI FORUM. :lol:

• 4 years later...

Holy back from the dead.

I stand on my brake pedal HARD. Floor the accelerator pedal. Hold it there. Car revs up a bit then starts building boost. It seems to stall out around 3400 rpms. Keep accelerator on the floor. Release brake. Smile.

10' CTS-V, A6, Airraid, 2.4 upper, ID850's, self tuned.

SOLD:06' LGT Wagon. BNR16G, Catless UP, DOWN, Hexmods VB, Hexmods diff bushings, BIG TMIC.

Best 0-60: 4.651 by AP

1/4= 13.678@100.73 mph, 1.945 60', Automatic transmission.

BUMP...

I cannot get mine to rev past 2,000RPM. I'm actually giving it 45% throttle.Is it safe, in your judgement, to floor it?

I couldn't hold mine past 2400 when I dragged it, what miles do you have on the rotors and pads?

I feel like this is a terrible way to break your car... Is it really fine to do this to your car???
For this car, if it breaks it was meant to break.

For guy's with 5mt. I hope by now you know how to use the parking brake to pre-load the drivtrain while the clutch in slipping at about 3500rpm.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I feel like this is a terrible way to break your car... Is it really fine to do this to your car???

No it's not fine.

Do I care? A little.

If it breaks, I fix.

SOLD:06' LGT Wagon. BNR16G, Catless UP, DOWN, Hexmods VB, Hexmods diff bushings, BIG TMIC.

I couldn't hold mine past 2400 when I dragged it, what miles do you have on the rotors and pads?

For this car, if it breaks it was meant to break.

rotor probably 50,000 miles,

pads i bought last year

rotor probably 50,000 miles,

pads i bought last year

Are you all stock?

JDM LGT, 2.0, Vf34 turbo

Maybe that's why you're unable to build any boost at a stop.

Archived