LegacyGT.com

Headlight Assy Replacement

So my DNA Auto headlights arrived today and apparently they read the reviews/comments on amazon because the advice I'd received here as well as the mentioned online mega mall was false. The H1 LED bulbs I bought for these did not fit. The H7 bulbs I had, however, did. Anyway, they get mounted on the car tomorrow. I'll post pics of the bulb issues in this post and hopefully a success story tomorrow after the bumper has been reapplied...

dHEYJMd.jpg

the two prongs above wouldnt allow the bulb to sit flush below

hywtxQL.jpg

NOUd2RI.jpg

not sure if others' lights have this marking surrounding the bulb housing.

What the hell? Mine had an H7 stamp on mine as well, but it was definitely an H1 fitment.

nzNZNP9.jpg

jhqR0yh.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone possibly post a link for all the stock bulbs? I feel like there’s 12 different lights in our housings.

Edit: Does this seem correct?

2010 Subaru Legacy Replacement Light Bulb Size Guide

Low Beam Headlight Bulb Size: H7 or H7 HID Upgrade Kit

High Beam Headlight Bulb Size: 9005 or 9005 HID Upgrade Kit

Parking Light Bulb Size: 168

Front Turn Signal Light Bulb Size: 7440

Rear Turn Signal Light Bulb Size: 992 (7440A)

Tail Light Bulb Size: 7443

Stop Light Bulb Size: 7443

High Mount Stop LIght Bulb Size: LED Bulb

Fog/Driving Light Bulb Size: H11 or H11 HID Upgrade Kit

License Plate Light Bulb Size: 168

Back Up Light Bulb Size: 921

Front Sidemarker Light Bulb Size: 168

Rear Sidemarker Light Bulb Size: 7443

Map Light Bulb Size: DE3175

Dome Light Bulb Size: DE3175

Step/Courtesy Light Bulb Size: 168

Trunk/Cargo Area Light Bulb Size: 168

Those are all the correct sizes. I've replaced all of the bulbs in my car except the side markers (168 bulbs) within the last month. Gonna finish that tommorow! The low beams cost me getting both my arms cut up and bruised up :mad:. I would go with Sylvania for all those bulbs if you want stock lights everywhere. Sylvania has always been great for me. I personally use LEDs whenever possible (I did for my Dome lights, Map Lights, Courtesy lights under the front doors, Vanity Mirror Lights, Parking Lights, Daytime Running Lights, License Plate Lights, and Trunk Light). If you want I could link the bulbs that I've used to replace the old ones...

Am I the only one who tries to park in the shade (or at least shade over the headlights?)

If I know I'm parking for an extended period on a sunny day, I'll actually try to either park so the headlights are in the shade. If that's not possible, I actually try to park facing North or so the headlights are being hit with direct sunlight.

At work, I can park right next to the building, which blocks the sun most of the year, but not in the summer, as the sun it too high in the sky and only half of my car lengthwise gets shade.

This means that one headlight gets sun, the other gets shade.

I would have to park in opposite directions every other day, so I don't unevenly protect one headlight over the other.

Wow. You probably all think I'm nuts, lol.

It's not as extreme as it sounds. But I do try to keep the headlights away/out of the sun when possible. And I park in a garage at home.

Am I the only one who tries to park in the shade (or at least shade over the headlights?)

If I know I'm parking for an extended period on a sunny day, I'll actually try to either park so the headlights are in the shade. If that's not possible, I actually try to park facing North or so the headlights are being hit with direct sunlight.

At work, I can park right next to the building, which blocks the sun most of the year, but not in the summer, as the sun it too high in the sky and only half of my car lengthwise gets shade.

This means that one headlight gets sun, the other gets shade.

I would have to park in opposite directions every other day, so I don't unevenly protect one headlight over the other.

Wow. You probably all think I'm nuts, lol.

It's not as extreme as it sounds. But I do try to keep the headlights away/out of the sun when possible. And I park in a garage at home.

You're not crazy, you're just trying to save hundreds of dollars in the future!

so everything went smoothly including the reapplication of the bumper. guess practice really does make perfect. i need to figure out a more permanent solution for my foglights. it looks like whatever tabs they use to hold them in place have all snapped. theyre currently being held in place by gorilla tape.

sorry about the filthy car. its been raining alot lately. I really like the dark housings with the black paint job. makes me want to do something with my grille.

h1HKjbj.jpg

ICN7p52.jpg

• 9 months later...
Reviving this to update that I've put the stock housings back in place once the bulbs burnt out on the aftermarket replacements. Once the factory housings went back in, I realized just how badly I must've been blinding other drivers for months with the aftermarkets. As mentioned in this thread, the adjustments are a massive pain in the ass and in the end aren't effective. So I'm back on the hunt for another set of headlight housings. I'm thinking of doing a junkyard search for some OEM's that I can modify with something from retrofit source. I really did enjoy how good the darker housing looked so I'm considering getting them professionally tinted. Edited by pseudonym

Reviving this to update that I've put the stock housings back in place once the bulbs burnt out on the aftermarket replacements. Once the factory housings went back in, I realized just how badly I must've been blinding other drivers for months with the aftermarkets. As mentioned in this thread, the adjustments are a massive pain in the ass and in the end aren't effective. So I'm back on the hunt for another set of headlight housings. I'm thinking of doing a junkyard search for some OEM's that I can modify with something from retrofit source. I really did enjoy how good the darker housing looked so I'm considering getting them professionally tinted.

Yah finding some OEM's that are from a junkyard and modifying them sounds like the best option. Getting aftermarket headlight assemblies sucks, hence why I don't even bother with them after my horrible experience with the pickup truck I used to own...

I did the HID upgrade 3 years ago and it has been nothing but amazing... the beam pattern is exactly stock but has better light output and the best part is the squirrel eyes remain to light up the street signs...

2010 outback is about to get the same treatment but I am going to run relays this time around so I do not have to rely upon the poor power distribution of the pre '13 cars for headlights

You could always do what I did, but it is a lot of work (at least it was to me).

and that would be?

So I'm seeing that some euro/japanese models come with xenon/hid from the factory as well as black housings? Is there a source for those I'm unaware of? Beyond that, are the connections different or something that would make a swap of this nature more of a headache than its worth?

• 4 months later...

So, I figure since I've already started a headlight thread, I'll just keep all my questions contained within it

I ended up going with those VLED bulbs and so far so good (just a few months into them so fingers crossed). My new issue tho is that all the rest of my bulbs are the standard yellowish color while my low beams are a lovely 6000k. Are there any halogens that are around that I can replace my drl/highbeam/foglights that would match this color? Are there any other lights that I'm forgetting? If not halogen, what are my options? I'd rather not spend what I spent on the VLEDs to replace these as this is purely for aesthetics. I figure since the drl/highbeams are the same bulb (do I have this right?) with a limiter diminishing output for the drl, that LED bulds wouldn't work and would flicker or something. I dont know, let me know what you guys think.

So, I figure since I've already started a headlight thread, I'll just keep all my questions contained within it

I ended up going with those VLED bulbs and so far so good (just a few months into them so fingers crossed). My new issue tho is that all the rest of my bulbs are the standard yellowish color while my low beams are a lovely 6000k. Are there any halogens that are around that I can replace my drl/highbeam/foglights that would match this color? Are there any other lights that I'm forgetting? If not halogen, what are my options? I'd rather not spend what I spent on the VLEDs to replace these as this is purely for aesthetics. I figure since the drl/highbeams are the same bulb (do I have this right?) with a limiter diminishing output for the drl, that LED bulds wouldn't work and would flicker or something. I dont know, let me know what you guys think.

No matter what, if you put halogens in the highbeams/DRLs they will have a yellow look to them since they run at lower power consumption. I ran a cheap $12 LED highbeam/DRL from amazon in my car for a while and had no issues at all. The only "issue" with running LEDs in your highbeams/DRLs is that they will always be on full power (unlike halogen bulbs which run on less power, so nowhere near as bright), so you might be blinding some people with the LEDs. I personally never had issues with people while running my LEDs in my highbeams/DRLs, and it made my car look awesome compared to the halogen bulbs. As for your fog lights, I would also look at LEDs. It shouldn't be too expensive, and it will look awesome. Maybe try the LED fog lights that can switch between yellow and white...

Gonna make a quick suggestion for you for something to improve your front end: pull your bumper back off, pick up some Rustoleum Satin Black and some painters tape, and spray this area of plastic behind the lower grille. This plastic gets patchy and sun-faded so quickly on literally every 5th gen I've ever seen, and a coat of black paint on it goes such a huge way towards keeping these cars fresher looking. Did mine 3 years ago and it's looked great ever since.

Wk5A9jy.png

Here's a comparison on my own car: a number of years ago before I sprayed it, and more recent pic with it still holding strong.

TbU7T4e.png

737FanP.png

No matter what, if you put halogens in the highbeams/DRLs they will have a yellow look to them since they run at lower power consumption. I ran a cheap $12 LED highbeam/DRL from amazon in my car for a while and had no issues at all. The only "issue" with running LEDs in your highbeams/DRLs is that they will always be on full power (unlike halogen bulbs which run on less power, so nowhere near as bright), so you might be blinding some people with the LEDs. I personally never had issues with people while running my LEDs in my highbeams/DRLs, and it made my car look awesome compared to the halogen bulbs. As for your fog lights, I would also look at LEDs. It shouldn't be too expensive, and it will look awesome. Maybe try the LED fog lights that can switch between yellow and white...

vleds keeps saying they are going to release a highbeam kit that does DRLs without going full power. Came across this while searching

https://www.xenondepot.com/xtreme-led-pro-drl-drivers?quantity=1

looks like you need their headlights for it, but perhaps it's the solution?

vleds keeps saying they are going to release a highbeam kit that does DRLs without going full power. Came across this while searching

https://www.xenondepot.com/xtreme-led-pro-drl-drivers?quantity=1

looks like you need their headlights for it, but perhaps it's the solution?

That's really interesting. I guess the only way for us to know if it works is if someone buys it and tests it out...

Just noticed that little tiny light that shares the same area roughly with the high beam is blown. Anyone know what that light is referred to as? What type of bulb is it?
That little bulb is the day time running light, it's a 194. I just had to replace mine couple of weeks ago

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

That little bulb is the day time running light, it's a 194. I just had to replace mine couple of weeks ago

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

That is the city light or accent light depends on who you ask. The high beam is the DRL run through a resistor for lower power.