LegacyGT.com

Headlight Assy Replacement

Just noticed that little tiny light that shares the same area roughly with the high beam is blown. Anyone know what that light is referred to as? What type of bulb is it?

It's referred to as a city light or parking light. It's a 194 bulb (same size as a 168 bulb). I threw LED bulbs in my car when I had it and never had any canbus issues. I linked the 194/168 LED bulbs that I use on my vehicles below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GRVN7R6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I used a few years ago, although I only paid about $20 for them. Do a search for W5W bulbs as well- they're the same size as the 194 and 168, so you should come up with a few more options that way.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Xtreme-Vision-X-tremeUltinon-4000K/dp/B00OYT11RE/

The owner's manual bulb chart says that same bulb is used for the side marker lights, door step lights (on the bottom of the door, not the puddle lights in the rockers), trunk interior light, and license plate lights.

Are there any other places on/in the car these led's can be used? I figure if I'm getting a set of 12 then I may as well use them.

Yes. You can put them in the front door lights (bottom of the doors), in the trunk light, the small orange lights on the side of the headlights, and in the license plate lights.

also arent these the same thing?

Yes, they are the same as the xenon depot boxes, but these are meant for cars that use PWM to change the brightness of the lights. Our cars don't use PWM to dim the DRLs, just a big resistor to lower the voltage. These boxes just convert that PWM signal to a resistance, effectively doing the same thing that our cars have, but at the correct level.

also arent these the same thing?

The description says "it cannot be used in conjunction with DRL (Daytime running lights) if your vehicle *shares* the same low-beam bulb as the daytime running light." so maybe not?

• 3 months later...

Lets resurrect this thread.

New question...

Anyone toss any LED bulbs into their foglights? Is there anything I should consider before buying? There are a million and a half H11 bulbs on amazon to choose from and these were the first that I found with decent reviews.

Also, has anyone disabled the DRL feature on the high beams and basically redirected the DRL feature to, say, the foglights? Seems like it'd be a solid option so that I can just replace my highbeams with a standard LED bulb and not need whatever extra piece of equipment thats apparently necessary when using LED's in a setup like ours where the highbeams and DRL's use the same bulb.

Lets resurrect this thread.

New question...

Anyone toss any LED bulbs into their foglights? Is there anything I should consider before buying? There are a million and a half H11 bulbs on amazon to choose from and these were the first that I found with decent reviews.

Also, has anyone disabled the DRL feature on the high beams and basically redirected the DRL feature to, say, the foglights? Seems like it'd be a solid option so that I can just replace my highbeams with a standard LED bulb and not need whatever extra piece of equipment thats apparently necessary when using LED's in a setup like ours where the highbeams and DRL's use the same bulb.

Have you considered something like Ford Mustang assemblies instead of just putting LEDs in the stock ones? The nice thing about them is they have a proper cut-off. You can get them used relatively cheap if you're willing to put some effort into polishing the lens.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=2015-2017+Ford+Mustang+LED+Fog+Light+OEM&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=4

Against my better judgement I bought some Chinese dual color assemblies similar to those. Haven't installed them yet (damn you, winter!), but I tested them and they seem bright enough, but they have two major flaws. I assumed that the color change is done by quickly toggling them off/on. Nope, they change color every single time they get turned off/on regardless of timing. The yellow/white cut-off lines are also at significantly different heights.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Angel-Eye-White-Yellow-Dual-Color-20W-LED-Fog-Light-Kit-For-Honda-Nissan-Subaru/333670536161

And yes, I had also thought about wiring them up as DRLs but decided that I'll wire the city lights as DRLs instead and get the brightest LEDs that will fit there.

Edited by Plastixx

Have you considered something like Ford Mustang assemblies instead of just putting LEDs in the stock ones? The nice thing about them is they have a proper cut-off. You can get them used relatively cheap if you're willing to put some effort into polishing the lens.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=2015-2017+Ford+Mustang+LED+Fog+Light+OEM&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=4

Against my better judgement I bought some Chinese dual color assemblies similar to those. Haven't installed them yet (damn you, winter!), but I tested them and they seem bright enough, but they have two major flaws. I assumed that the color change is done by quickly toggling them off/on. Nope, they change color every single time they get turned off/on regardless of timing. The yellow/white cut-off lines are also at significantly different heights.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Angel-Eye-White-Yellow-Dual-Color-20W-LED-Fog-Light-Kit-For-Honda-Nissan-Subaru/333670536161

And yes, I had also thought about wiring them up as DRLs but decided that I'll wire the city lights as DRLs instead and get the brightest LEDs that will fit there.

I'm hesitant on the mustang fogs just because my fogs arent exactly held on by the stock tabs anymore since they've all snapped. Gorilla tape was the temp solution till I employed the JB weld and now they're fixed there so I'd likely have to saw them out at this point.

Is there a write-up on here or some keywords I could search to see what level of a headache rerouting the DRL's will be?

Is there a write-up on here or some keywords I could search to see what level of a headache rerouting the DRL's will be?

Not sure. I haven't put much thought into it yet. I just know that the DRLs are turned on by a relay that runs the high beam ground through the DRL resistor.