LegacyGT.com

OZ UltraLeggera

rexster

• 1 month later...

Work site filter is owning teh MUD!

Could somebody find it in there heart to cross post a picture of these bad boys from that forum?

TIA

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

how's that? 18x8 is perfect for our cars. A 245/35 tire transforms the car.

Too big, too tall, too heavy.

18x7.5 with either 215/40/18 (closest to stock wheel/tire OD) or 225/40/18 IMHO not only looks the best, but is the best balance between improving

handling/grip all the while keeping a good ride quality...not to mention

the ability to drop rotational weight, and keep diameter close to stock so

speedo isn't thrown off much (or at all).

18x7.5 with either 215/40/18 (closest to stock wheel/tire OD) or 225/40/18 IMHO not only looks the best, but is the best balance between improving

handling/grip all the while keeping a good ride quality...not to mention

the ability to drop rotational weight, and keep diameter close to stock so

speedo isn't thrown off much (or at all).

Please check your facts before claiming them to be accurate:

215/45/17 = 24.6 "

215/40/18 = 24.8 "

225/40/18 = 25.1 "

245/35/18 = 24.8

Having run stock, 225/45/17, 225/40/18 and 245/35/18 on my car I can assure you that there are no downsides to the widest size, but there are indeed issues on the most common 225/40/18 fitment (namely, rubbing the fender liner when turning the wheel and with fill suspension compression like when pulling out of my driveway). Stock tire/wheel weight is about 42-43lbs. I have run something as light as 40lbs and as much as 44.5 (the 245/35), yet there's no noticable downside in braking or acceleration that would outweigh the benefit of the wider contact patch. At least for me that is, YMMV.

Please check your facts before claiming them to be accurate:

215/45/17 = 24.6 "

215/40/18 = 24.8 "

225/40/18 = 25.1 "

245/35/18 = 24.8

Having run stock, 225/45/17, 225/40/18 and 245/35/18 on my car I can assure you that there are no downsides to the widest size, but there are indeed issues on the most common 225/40/18 fitment (namely, rubbing the fender liner when turning the wheel and with fill suspension compression like when pulling out of my driveway). Stock tire/wheel weight is about 42-43lbs. I have run something as light as 40lbs and as much as 44.5 (the 245/35), yet there's no noticable downside in braking or acceleration that would outweigh the benefit of the wider contact patch. At least for me that is, YMMV.

How are my facts off???

Did I not say that 215/40/18 is the closest size to stock OD??

I also listed 225/40/18 as not only looking the best, but offering

the best "balance" between handling/grip and ride quality.

I use 215/40/18 on my car...simply because I wanted to keep close

to stock OD and have a good lightweight wheel/tire combo

that offers improved handling, but also improved acceleration, braking, steering response and gas mileage...all things that come with less

rotational mass combined with a better than stock tire.

225/40/18 I believe looks the best though, as I'll admit my tire looks a BIT

on the small side.

I would NEVER run a 245/35/18 tire on a 7.5 inch wide rim.

You are free to believe there is no difference in handling, braking, acceleration, and such with a 4.5 lbs difference in rotational mass between the

tires/wheels you'd had, but laws of physic and a dyno will show and tell you differently.

You said a 245/35 was 'too tall' - not so, EXACTLY the same as your 'best pick'.

Have you even tried a 245/35? You are only speaking in hypotheticals and test measurements. Try and drive the car with that size on the car and get back to me. I have run five different sets of wheels on my car in a year and am perfectly happy with the decision to run 245/35's (agreed - not on a 7.5 however).

18x8 too big and heavy? LOL, boy you are way out of your league. :icon_tong

I run 18"x8.5" +50mm offset rims that weigh only 15 lbs each and I have run as wide as a 255/35/18 and as tall as a 25.5" on GT sedan.. Even my heaviest combo is only tipping the scale now at 44 lbs.

I got the gearing, the larger momentum calculations are not hindering my acceleration all that much, and I trade that off for more mph per gear.

18x8.5 IS SEXY, 18x7.5 is too narrow for my taste:

http://www.rapidimagephotography.com/gallery/albums/Keefe/MKS_0588.sized.jpg

If are planning to drive in the snow, narrower is better, so in this case, the stock rims ownz in the snow using 195/50/17 tires.

Keefe

like I said before, it's all benchracing, not real world experience ;)

do you think I qualify for real world experience? :icon_tong:lol::icon_wink I know you have at least gone through half the number of wheels and tires that I have gone through..

I am on set #21 for all 4 cars that I am dealing with right now...

Keefe

do you think I qualify for real world experience?

yup...I was agreeing with you ;)

I think the rule of thumb about lighter weight has some merit, but on high-horsepower cars with large brakes, it's not as critical as with say the CRX I had. I felt a world of difference between stock and the 12lb wheels I used on it. 8lbs/corner on a 2000lb car with 130hp makes a big difference. 3-4 lbs/corner on a 3400lb car with 300hp....meh. I'll take the wider rubber as it matters more.

The weight issue applies more to tires, than rims. I have done the calculations that show weight changes in rims make a difference, but not much. Weight changes in tire make the most. (Farthest from the axis of rotation.) If you increase diameter and go with a heavier tire, you could be screwed.

Let’s look at this situation. Put some 18x8 SSR (14.6 lbs) comps with 245/35 series Goodyears (roughly stock diameter) on and you will have have less rotational inertia then the stock tires. And comparing to your 225/40-18 size, (larger diameter), you would have a greater rotational inertia than the 245s even though your tires weigh less(about 1lb each for the same tire)!

That is both experience and equations to back up PGT and Keefe...

Ted

:spin:

Archived